Help me in choosing a press

KVS Setty

Hello to all,

I am new here and in digital press area, I am in the business of photo printing and finishing since 25 years using Noritsu Koki printers.

Now planning to diversify my business by putting a digital press in addition to my regular photo lab business.

Since I am looking for a entry level light production system with a average print capacity in the range of 25000 to 50000 per month.
After little bit of study about the various models and players, I have short listed my choice to following three devices.

# KM6501/KM6501p/KM65hc

# Canon ImageRunner Advance Pro c9070/ c9060

# Xerox700

But from here finding it difficult to make a decision on to a particular one model, so your help is much needed in this regard ,for me to go ahead with the expansion plan.

please note I am very new to this field and really don't know who are going to be my customers and I just know that I will be serving on-demand short run variable data printing sector.

Also planning to test it as a alternative printing technology to make photobooks, which is very hot product in our industry now.

your suggestions and help is very valuable to me.

Thanks.

Last edited:
KVS, my suggestion would be to run your own familiar images on all the machines. For photo printing, paper stock is going to be a signifact deciding factor for you, especially if what you know is Noritsu output.

Initially, choose stock that you feel you want to reproduce onto and then run same files/images on all the machines you are considering. This way you will have both an objective and ultimately a subjective basis of comparison. Specs alone won't give you a true matrix of comparison.

From the 3 models you are looking at, I think Xerox and KM have the lead. The Canon product was launched a few months ago and still have something to proof in the "Light Production" arena.

Probably, based on the brochures, the 3 models are capable of producing what you need.

The question is, besides the specs, what else are you looking for? Are you looking for reliable service? Are you looking for maximum uptime? Are you looking for consistent image quality? Are you looking for future business growth? Are you look for low cost leasing/financing? Are you looking for future upgradeability? etc etc. This is the hardest part of the homework; I'd suggest you talk to the 3 vendors about all of this.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back