Help Me Understand

Muddy

Hi Everyone.

Before I ask my question, I just want to say that I've discovered Print Planet recently and it is one of the best resources ever. Thanks.....whomever you are.

I want to learn about VDP print and I need to start from the very beginning to get a handle on this. I KNOW NOTHING (except the end result) and want to learn about integrating this into my company.

Where do I turn?

I don't expect anyone to type me pages. Just point me to a few links where I can read about the basics

Thanks X33. I appreciate the links. Thanks for taking the time.

I'm more interested, however, in the logistics of how the production aspect is done. I think I already know the benefits of VDP. I really want to know what I need to know to get into that business.

Check out EFI's "ABCs of VDP: A Variable Data Printing Basics Guide". There is a free download (registration required) at EFI - Download Registration. I like it because it does a good job of answering beginners' questions and it is hardware-manufacturer neutral.

"The Handbook for Digital Printing and Variable-Data Printing" by Penny K. Bennett with Harvey Robert Levenson and Frank Romano. Available for purchase from The Printing Industries of America's website: Handbook for Digital Printing and Variable-Data Printing | Printing Industries of America - Printing.org. I picked mine up at Graph Expo a couple of years ago. Discusses everything from data to software to workflow. It does discuss specific engines, but only within the context of reviewng output technologies. Also has a chapter on the business of selling digital printing, including developing a business model and how to look at the ROI.

Last edited:
Thank you very much Shaja. This is exactly the info I'm looking for.

A million good karma points to you. That's a lot you know :)

A million good karma points to you. That's a lot you know :)

I love starting out the day with good karma! Thanks much! And have fun with your research.

By the way, PIA's Converge conference starts Sunday; it used to be their annual fall VDP conference but now encompasses a total cross-media approach. It might be more than what you need right now, but it is a yearly event.

http://converge.printing.org/

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back