how to adjust layout for creep

V

Visualaid

How do you adjust for creep with a 20 page booklet, for example?
It's laid out indesign.

Typically, that would be a function of your imposition software. In Preps, for example, it's simply a matter of putting in the amount of creep you want for the center spread and Preps figures out the math for the rest.

I am curious, though, as to why you'd need creep on a 20-pager, unless it is very thick stock?

Typically, that would be a function of your imposition software. In Preps, for example, it's simply a matter of putting in the amount of creep you want for the center spread and Preps figures out the math for the rest.

I am curious, though, as to why you'd need creep on a 20-pager, unless it is very thick stock?

We generally dont start adding creep until the job is over 24 pages. And like you mention, we do it in Preps. We prefer to not have the designers add creep in layout applications.

-Sev

Easiest way to know if pos or neg is to try one and see what it does. Use a huge number so it is very obvious.

The sheet-to-sheet and side-to-side registration of your copier is probably the bigger issue than creep on a 20 pager.

thank you very much i needed a laugh. everyone coming at me and blaming is really making me hate life today. it's funny how this type of thing always comes back to being prepress's problem; and it's hard for me to explain every little detail of what i do to make a job work to the bosses/production manager when they aren't interested until there's a problem.

When a job gets delivered to the wrong address, prepress still gets blamed. It seems to be a fact of life.

-Sev

I too would use impo software. If budget was a concern, then I would look at the following software - Imposition Studio:

Easiest Ever PDF Imposition Software for Digital & Offset Printing Presses

(I have no commercial or other affiliation with this company/software)

P.S. I have been at shops where imposition software was considered "too expensive at this time for the company, just do it in InDesign for now..." - it is amazing how long "for now" can last!

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
Can you use the "Print Booklet..." feature in InDesign to send to your output device?
You can apply creep there.
Yes, I know about the creepy feature in indesign but i am looking for more of a technical answer.
i can't tell what indesign is adjusting(which pages and what's moving where, in or out, etc.) so i'd like to know what's going on for my brain and not just clicking the button to make it happen, ya know?

From the Adobe InDesign website:

Adobe InDesign * Printing booklets

Understanding creep

Creep specifies the distance pages move from the spine to accommodate paper thickness and folding in Saddle Stitch and Perfect Bound documents. InDesign considers the “cover” of the final piece to be the outermost printer spread, while the “centerfold” is considered to be the innermost printer spread. The term sheet represents two printer spreads: the front of the sheet and the back of the sheet. The creep increment is calculated by dividing the specified creep value by the total number of sheets minus one.

When you provide a positive creep value, the centerfold is not adjusted, but the pages on the outer sheets move away from the spine. When you provide a negative creep, the cover is not adjusted, but the pages on the inner sheets move towards the spine.

For example, a 16-page InDesign document could yield eight printer spreads, or four sheets. The front of the first sheet will consist of the first printer spread (pages 16 and 1) while the back of the first sheet will consist of the second printer spread (pages 2 and 15).

If the creep value in this example is 24 points (an exaggerated amount for the sake of clarity), the creep increment is 8 points per sheet (24 divided by 3). The amount of creep applied to the innermost sheet is 24 points, the amount of creep applied to the third sheet is 16 points, and the amount of creep applied to the second sheet is 8 points. No creep will be applied to the first outermost sheet.

The amount of creep for each successive sheet is decreased by the creep increment. In summary, each page on the innermost sheet is moved 12 points (half of the 24-point creep value for this sheet) away from the spine, each page on the third sheet is moved 8 points (half of the 16-point creep value for this sheet) away from the spine, and each page on the second sheet is moved 4 points (half of the 8-point creep value for this sheet) away from the spine.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back