How to make your Printing glossy?

Ricky

quick question, how to make your printing glossy... especially if you doing for Magazine.. I saw some magazine, their pictures so glossy... looks shinny..

is there any method rather than just using OPV?

You would need a coating unit on your press or an offline coater to print UV gloss coating. There are other ways of doing it by converting a print unit to use as a coater and there are some ink duct varnishes that claim they are as glossy as UV coating but I have yet to see a print varnish reach a gloss of 90+ on a gloss meter. The print unit high gloss varnishes are sometimes difficult to handle as you cannot let them sit on the roller train too long as they will dry and pretty much ruin your rollers.
Good luck

For converting a print unit to use it as coater, but u need a heating unit right? otherwise it wont be as gloss as it would.. am i right?

There are folks who heat their coating to get it to flow out better for that bit extra gloss but more people dont heat the coating than do. If you dont have a coater on your press you either have to get an offline coater, they are very common and are reasonably priced or convert your last print unit to be able to either print or coat, there are some aftermarket comanys selling print unit/coater conversions but they are not cheap. Some people have converted the dampening system into a coater applicator but I have no experience with that so cannot comment.

UV coating is what you are after. If you are thinking that you are going to run magazine weight sheets through it be sure to test this theory using the stock you plan to coat prior to purchasing an off line coater. Most will have trouble coating a lightweight sheet as it tends to hug the application roller and wrap on it. Stiffer stock is a plus in this situation.

You can never get shine( i mean really shine) gloss if you convert print unit into coater,,we have been working some time on that kind of machine.Buy offline coater for uv to get best result

Paper stock, substrate will be accountable for 95% of realized gloss before you start adding in the equation of overcoats.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back