How to Print Envelopes without Skewing on One Side

godfrey

Hi, I use a Konica Minolta bizhub c6501 when printing and I am currently experiencing serious problems when printing Envelopes. Quarry is how do I print Envelopes without them skewing or warping on One side from the Bypass tray?

ASAP assistance will really help.

Thanks

Godfrey

Try opening the flap and feeding from the bottom of the envelope.
We've had some success this way, but you have to watch carefully as some of them will print crooked.. usually the last envelope in the bypass tray and the first couple off the stack will be the worst.

envelopes on a c6501?

envelopes on a c6501?

Envelopes on a C6501? I didn't think it was possible?

Do people really do this? Beyond the inconsistent results which I would expect, does it damage the press in any way?

I'm quite sure if I Konica found out I was running envelopes they wouldn't service my machine anymore.

We will do it when a client wants 50 of an envelope in some whackass PMS colour and they freak out when I tell them how much it costs. Then I say we can do them digitally, but they're probably going to wrinkle, though the people you're mailing them to will just assume the post office did it. We've not had to bug the pressman with 50 envelopes for a good while now.
Our Ikon techs know what we are doing. They don't really care. That's their attitude about everything, though.

wow

wow

I've only gotten smashed up, destroyed, crumpled, envelopes off our KM6500.

Hi, I use a Konica Minolta bizhub c6501 when printing and I am currently experiencing serious problems when printing Envelopes. Quarry is how do I print Envelopes without them skewing or warping on One side from the Bypass tray?

Godfrey,

Are these solid, or windowed envelopes? If windowed, are the windows laser safe? Is the whole image skewing, or are you seeing a shift in only one color (perhaps yellow)?

Thanks,

Mark H

There are really some printers that have this problem when printing envelopes. Sometimes you just have to tweak the way you load the envelopes, but it's unlikely that you will be able to go through a batch without crumpling at least one envelope. If you need perfectly printed envelopes and you can't get them from your printer, you might want to consider a different printer.

Hi godfrey,

Please consider the following guidelines:
• Make sure paper is not stacked higher than the paper guides inside the bypass tray.
• Load envelopes with the print side down, and the open end of the envelope facing out from the printer.
• When printing on envelopes, set the envelope size using the printer driver or control panel.
• Before loading envelopes, remove any air inside and make sure all edges are sharply creased. If envelopes are curled, straighten them before loading.
• Depending on the printing environment, envelopes may be output with the edges wrinkled, with toner marks on the back, or blurred.
• Depending on the type of envelope or printing environment, envelopes might be output creased or printed improperly. In such cases, try changing the loading orientation.

Envelopes on a C6501? I didn't think it was possible?

Do people really do this? Beyond the inconsistent results which I would expect, does it damage the press in any way?

I'm quite sure if I Konica found out I was running envelopes they wouldn't service my machine anymore.

No, alot of Konica salesmen will tell people that the 6500 will run envelopes, and it will...just not very well. There isnt much you can do to avoid having them wrinkle or skew.

You might try running them at the lowest speed setting

you want to print only 50 env? use an inkjet

That's what I've done. When my normal envelope printer goes down (Xante Ilumina) I use my little desktop Epson RX595. And since it is a photo printer it actually prints with very good quality and looks like offset unlike some of the commercial grade inkjets on the market now.

If interested, I am a digital envelope trade printer and I don't charge for runs of 50 or less. Just pay for the postage. You can contact me at djm at novadirect com.

Dave

Get a Xerox. We've done 1000's through our DC250, all coming out perfect. We do keep an old fuser for envelopes, and we only use good quality envelopes, but all in all we get very good results.

DCG West pretty much laid out much of the prep work. I've always seen envelopes run on high speed setting. Running any large batch will often mark up the fuser belt which tends to "heal" afterwards if you give it time and runs some larger format product through. I've often heard of operators using two fusers for this purpose.

As far as the skewing, you have to make sure that the flaps are not hitting any of the input guides as it is fed through if your envelope is not long enough to reach between feeding rollers inside the machine and you have to run it sideways. Other than that DCG West pretty much described what you can do.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back