Ikon 550c Issue with Centering Images

Hi.
*waves*
I'm new.

We have an Ikon 550c that refuses to center images in the page.
The techs at Ikon swear up and down that this problem is ours, not an issue with the machine, and is stemming from the fact that we are printing from InDesign.
I have experimented with different print settings, the tray alignment utility on CWS and printing from different programs, but the machine never seems to center anything other than its own stuff - calibration sheets, etc.
I fear that we have overlooked something simple that is keeping the machine from performing the way the press release claims it can :(
I have been trying to research this issue on the internet, but talking about copiers is not nearly as popular as I'd hoped.
If you guys have any suggestions, I would really love to hear them.

but the machine never seems to center anything other than its own stuff - calibration sheets, etc.
That's a signal to IKON tech:
Tray adjustment OK;
Toner Assy adj OK;
You missed something common (may be Page Setup, Page gap, Left margin) or may be somebody wrongly changed some parameters last Friday dreaming of weekend.
Catefuly scroll all settings, the culprit is sitting over there.

Hi.
*waves*
I'm new.

We have an Ikon 550c that refuses to center images in the page.
The techs at Ikon swear up and down that this problem is ours, not an issue with the machine, and is stemming from the fact that we are printing from InDesign.
I have experimented with different print settings, the tray alignment utility on CWS and printing from different programs, but the machine never seems to center anything other than its own stuff - calibration sheets, etc.
I fear that we have overlooked something simple that is keeping the machine from performing the way the press release claims it can :(
I have been trying to research this issue on the internet, but talking about copiers is not nearly as popular as I'd hoped.
If you guys have any suggestions, I would really love to hear them.

When you say it is not centred, how far of is it?

there are settings for image adjust, but if it is coming out in the very top left corner then it is inDesign for sure. If it is out just a "bit" then you can use the "both sides" adjustment to fix this.

It will usually move things down and to the right, even to the point of the image bleeding on the right and bottom. On average, the image is shifted about a half inch from the top and about the same, give or take an eighth to a sixteenth on the right.
I tried image shift this morning, selecting "align front and back images," but that actually seemed to make it worse. I just feel like there is a box I'm not checking somewhere. Rawr!
I don't know that it makes a difference, but with CWS5 I expected the preview image to be shifted as well, and it is not. If it is previewing with the image centered, that means the machine expects it to print that way, too, eh?
*grasps at straws*

It will usually move things down and to the right, even to the point of the image bleeding on the right and bottom. On average, the image is shifted about a half inch from the top and about the same, give or take an eighth to a sixteenth on the right.
I tried image shift this morning, selecting "align front and back images," but that actually seemed to make it worse. I just feel like there is a box I'm not checking somewhere. Rawr!
I don't know that it makes a difference, but with CWS5 I expected the preview image to be shifted as well, and it is not. If it is previewing with the image centered, that means the machine expects it to print that way, too, eh?
*grasps at straws*

Image Shift, align both sides works but ONLY with very specific situations. The image MUST be the exact same size is pixels, lncluding any non-visible areas that have been cropped. When i train customers I tell them do not use it.

Your problem lies on the KM itslef.

Go to the LCD Panel and use the "Both Sides" settings.
This is the same as image shift but it is a hardware setting. That is why the toner is imaging right off the sheet. this setings is adjusted on a PER-TRAY basis. this means you set it for EACH SIDE and for EACH TRAY.

The default should be zeros all around. If they are not them someone there has been pushing buttons.

I can with all confidence tell you the problems is at the KM and NOT in your software or RIP.

A few obvious things to check -

• ID's set up with no printer margins in the Page Setup dialog.

• Tray Alignment radio box is ticked in CWS.

• CWS scaling is off, and page size is correct.

However I once got a weird thing with an image progressively working it's way off the sheet on a 260, down and to the right. You could see this in the preview window of CWS. A patch for the RIP fixed the problem.

So - double-check your settings (I hope you have proper paper size and a print preset saved in ID) both at ID and at the RIP. Also check out your support page for the machine's RIP and see if there's any updates for it.

Finally, try imposing your job with EFI Impose (if you've got it) and see if it's still playing silly buggers.

If none of that works just put the printer in the skip and get a new one. Or tell tech support to come out and show you how it's done (if it's a software error they'll fix it or admit it - if it's operator error it's egg-on-the-face time).

A few obvious things to check -

• ID's set up with no printer margins in the Page Setup dialog.

• Tray Alignment radio box is ticked in CWS.

• CWS scaling is off, and page size is correct.

However I once got a weird thing with an image progressively working it's way off the sheet on a 260, down and to the right. You could see this in the preview window of CWS. A patch for the RIP fixed the problem.

So - double-check your settings (I hope you have proper paper size and a print preset saved in ID) both at ID and at the RIP. Also check out your support page for the machine's RIP and see if there's any updates for it.

Finally, try imposing your job with EFI Impose (if you've got it) and see if it's still playing silly buggers.

If none of that works just put the printer in the skip and get a new one. Or tell tech support to come out and show you how it's done (if it's a software error they'll fix it or admit it - if it's operator error it's egg-on-the-face time).

No offense man, but none of those setting would cause the toner to image right off the sheet.

both sides......both sides......both sides.......

:rolleyes: Well, dodgy tray alignment can. And the weird problem I mentioned. However I've only got experience on Xerox stuff so don't know much about KM. Should still check all them settings though, they're importants!

Although - wrong page size / printer margins in ID can mean off-centre image.

Not checking tray alignment (or screwy settings) can result in off-centre, bleeding off the page image.

A RIP bug that has since been fixed with a patch is another (albeit unlikely) possibility.

I think though the most valid and important piece of advice there, nay the main thrust of the post, involved the skip anyway.

both sides......both sides......both sides.......

That helped a little; the job I was attempting to run is no longer bleeding.
What is funny is that the techs were the ones who changed those settings when I first complained. I knew about those settings forgot about them! :rolleyes:
Things are closer to lining up now.
Thanks!

first, you need to find the root of the problem. there are 3 possible causes for this : engine, RIP, or application.

1. To discard the engine, print a machine report and see if it comes out ok.

2. To discard the RIP, import a PDF directly into CWS (do not send it from the app). I suggest you make a PDF that has a cross in the middle/center of the page.

3. If it's not the engine or the RIP, it has to be something in the application. Usually, margins, page setup, fit to page, etc.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back