image stretching when outputting to Agfa Galileo VS CTP

liskeyprinting

Registered Users
We are desperately seeking assistance on our new purchase of the Compose Harlequin rip ver 8.3

Here is a better explanation of the Compose Harlequin rip ver 8.3 problem we are facing:

Summary:
We are experiencing stretching of the 1 bit tif file on the vertical dimension using a new Harlequin rip ver 8.3 outputting to a Agfa Galileo VS CTP.

Details:
As a method of trouble shooting, we have done the following:
1. We take the exact same Kodak preps impositioned file and drop it in 2 different computer Harlequin hot folders. One is the older harlequin rip ver 7.2 and the other is the new harlequin rip ver8.3.
2. Each Harlequin creates a 1-bit files.
3. The 1-bit tifs are then transferred to a Agfa Galileo VS CTP for output to plate.
4. The plate from the older rip ver 7.3 is perfect, the plate from the new rip ver 8.3 image is stretched in the vertical dimension.
5. We have tried this for 2 months with several plate sizes and files but the results are always the same. The new rip 8.3 1 bit tif files images are stretched on the plate.

Other details:
Using tif convertor software, we converted the 1 bit tif to a pdf and measured the 1 bit tif pdf file and it is perfect. We believe that perhaps the file is stretching when outputting at the Agfa Galileo plate setter. However, we have been using the older Harlequin rip ver 7.3 with the Galileo for several years without any problems or stretching. The problem only exist when outputting the file from the new Harlequin rip ver 8.3. Yet the file appears fine and is not stretched at the Harlequin station.

We are not sure what to do at this point and appreciate any assistance and advise.

If as you say, this is a new machine, then demand that the seller make good on the new equipment warranty.

Al

[Edit] And let the financing institution know that you are having to do this.

Last edited:
If as you say, this is a new machine, then demand that the seller make good on the new equipment warranty

His rip is new, not the Galileo.
liskeyprinting, I'm not familiar with Galileo setups, but if the rip has a direct connection to the platesetter I would blame the output driver, if it sends the tiff file to a tiff catcher in-between I would investigate the latter and fiddle with tiff generation settings. Ask Compose for a version 9 evaluation (current). Can you move back to v.7 to check plates come out ok ?

As a former AGFA Field Service tech I bet that is not a Galileo problem.
Galileo is an internal drum machine (as well as Avantra filmsetter) and VS version uses the same main (DEC) board.
My Question is: do you use direct connection RIP-to-Galileo?
Harlequin 7.3 -what's the original RIR name? Xitron Navigator?

You'd better to address your problem to Hong-Kong Compose to evaluate the Express RIP problem.
In case of direct connection that's very possible low timing ratio for some electronics components on-board.
Ask them to replace the interface board, just for sure.

If you use a kind of tiff-catcher, that's a different story.
Do you use PrintDrive in that case?

Last edited:
If I remenber correctly you want to check your device manager and edit the device you are sending to. There are many option your ca control, (i.e. turn on punch, rotate image
resolution). Look at you vertical and horizontal resolution. They should both be set to the same value(1200 X1200 2400 X2400)

Good Luck
Ron
STSTech

I have seen this mostly with cable connection from RIP computer to the Galileo. Send a test page from OCT. If the image isn't stretched then it will most likely caused by the RIP cable connector (PINS were bended/ wires broken) or the Interface card is defective..

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back