InDesign or Illustrator

Shouldn't rendering for images and vector be identical since the concept of transparency was introduced? There is no reason to handle images and vectors differently. We don't know when they are matched.

So are you sending the printer PDF's or native files? If pdf's illustrator or indesign is both efficient for pdf's just make "sure" you ask them if they have any "specific" export settings. If you are sending them native files, go to file ~ package and send them everything. It would be nice if you had front/back as individual files for each version maybe with crop marks etc... I'd really ask how they would prefer the files. If you want I can send you our PDF export settings we tell our customers to use if you wanted.

Last edited:
So are you sending the printer PDF's or native files? If pdf's illustrator or indesign is both efficient for pdf's just make "sure" you ask them if they have any "specific" export settings. If you are sending them native files, go to file ~ package and send them everything. It would be nice if you had front/back as individual files for each version maybe with crop marks etc... I'd really ask how they would prefer the files. If you want I can send you our PDF export settings we tell our customers to use if you wanted.

-----

If you do all the art in Illustrator
all the Black will knock out - unless you are savvy enough to make it not do that.
If you do the art in InDesign
all the Black will overprint - which is what your prepress will prefer -
unless you set your preferences NOT to overprint
which is what you may prefer for digital as opposed to litho.

I would do ANYTHING in InDesign
unless
there is some effect that only Illustrator can handle.

MSD

In the packaging sector, most seem to shun InDesign native art and wish for native Illustrator or Illustrator PDF files. Even though one can export out a PDF or EPS to Illus from InDesign - or even copy/paste some content between apps, this is usually far from ideal.

Stephen Marsh

-----

If you do all the art in Illustrator
all the Black will knock out - unless you are savvy enough to make it not do that.
If you do the art in InDesign
all the Black will overprint - which is what your prepress will prefer -
unless you set your preferences NOT to overprint
which is what you may prefer for digital as opposed to litho.

I would do ANYTHING in InDesign
unless
there is some effect that only Illustrator can handle.

MSD

As someone who's been doing prepress for 18+ years we do not prefer all black overprint. Unless you specifically know what you are doing when it comes to that then it's ok. Rule of thumb... Usually any type font over 24 pt. should be a rich black along with 3+ pt. Rules. There are situations where overprinting is ok, ie: if it's over white or a solid color (screen/tint).

As for ill "knocking out" black and indesign "overprinting" that really is all moot because most times prepress will trap it how it will best be for printing on their press and thru their rip system. So if you have any questions or worries please call and ask your printer what they prefer and recommend. Let's not turn this thread into a debate about all this, and sorry if I offend any with my posts.

Hello spoocobra,

Yes, that would be great if you could send me your PDF export settings-- I'd probably learn a lot from it,

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back