InDesign Server

MC_JerryD

Anyone using InDesign Server? What additional software and hardware needed to be purchased? What clients are using it?

Thanks for any input.

Have seen some tests, it is alot of customisation needed. I would look into Agfa Apogee Media solution as well, it has a slightly different approach, but it depends on your setup wich is right.

I believe InDesign server is also known as 'K4'. It's an editorial system/workflow that is build around InDesign and InCopy. It's similar and competes against Quark's QPS system. It allows designers to have access to both design files/copy and editors with access to editorial content.

There is not a lot of info on the net regarding K4 because unless you are in magazine publishing, you rarely need to have such integration. A QPS/K4 system offers little to a typical design firm/art dept. In fact, it's probably an overkill outside of magazine workflow. The main reason it works well in magazines is that design is already standardized and for the most part designers will not have to worry about what editors add or remove from stories.

Quark's QPS 2 is very good and for the most part stable the last time I work with it. The real beauty is in how different people can share and work on one file (not a the same time) on server, check-in and check-out, with a complete backup system. Although I never work in K4 workflow, but again I suspect it has all similar functions.

Last edited:
InDesign Server is only available through Adobe Partners. The Server is customized from the Partner for their product. Every product has different purposes. Examples are variable data, creation of content via a web page, and others.

To find out more check out this link Adobe InDesign CS4 Server

InDesign Server is only available through Adobe Partners. The Server is customized from the Partner for their product. Every product has different purposes. Examples are variable data, creation of content via a web page, and others.

To find out more check out this link Adobe InDesign CS4 Server

Interesting, do you know any real world applications of K4 outside of magazine production? This is the only area I have read/heard of actual usage for K4, and hence, I assumed it's a direct competitor to Quark's QPS.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back