Ink fumes concern

indigo5500

Hey guys I operate an HP INDIGO 5500 digital press and was wondering how harmful are these ink fumes to ones health??? and was also wondering these digital presses if they release Volatile Organic Compounds which i hurd is really bad for health ...please and thank you

Last edited:
Ozone is probably the only concern. We have been running indigos for years and have never had a health concern let alone any smells

ozone? what is that?......what i do know is that we have ozone filters which i was told filters out all the bad stuff .....but just concerned if it has the baility to damage ones brain or liver or sumtin like that

Ozone filters dont catch it all but I dont think it is as bad for you as it is for the environment. Our indigo has the fresh laundry smell and that is what the technician is saying is ozone. I read here that any stock that has indigo ink on it can not be used for paper recycling and has to be used for board recycling. Guess the ink can not be de inked off the sheet making it useless to the recyclers. I think the only problem you will have with indigo inks and fuser oils is if you were to ingest them. Then again most of the stuff we use in printing will have that effect like press wash, IPA, MRC etc

ozone? what is that?......what i do know is that we have ozone filters which i was told filters out all the bad stuff .....but just concerned if it has the baility to damage ones brain or liver or sumtin like that

Sorry.... had to laugh at that! Whats Ozone? - only the thing that keeps us from being fried to a crisp here on this rock! - Oh... and damage to one's liver and brain can be completed after work in the appropriate bar!

so these fumes and stuff dont have any side effects at all?.....i mean i havent noticed any headaches or anything im just saying in the long run

Smell

Smell

Things smell. Not all things that smell are bad for you. A very small part-per-million can have a very big smell. Most people in the industry stop being able to smell whatever it is you are smelling. Wait long enough.

Petroleum Hydrocarbons Present

Petroleum Hydrocarbons Present

I dispose of waste HP flammable printing ink from many of our Ontario clients and have sampled this waste stream in the past. I have the MSDS on this ink and it is a petroleum hydrocarbon based ink and imaging oil. Volatile Organic Compounds are very much present in solvent based products such as this. Proper ventilation would be a good recommendation but I would also recommend a portable air filtration system to treat the ambient air by the work area close to source. [email protected] for more information.

I can forward the MSDS to you. On the first page they talk about inhalation of the hydrocarbons. Just needs to be managed at source and creating a down draft to keep voc's near the floor and collected through activated carbon is a great economical way to deal with this issue for fumes as well as dust control.

Good luck.

I have been working in printing for over 20 years. People come in all the time and mention the ink smell. I can't smell it EVER. Maybe my third arm growing out of my back has something to do with it! ;)

There's nothing like the sweet smell of film cleaner in the morning, along with a side-order of metering roller cleaner, and ink spray. What you really need to be concerned with is getting some of that ink in your blood! It's a hell a hard to get rid of, no cure or treatment. Brent is right, you don't notice after a while- I too have certain client that notice the smell of print shop- half of them don't like it and the other half I'll give a tour of the shop. I'll assure the first half that yes we must use chemicals but that they are low on v.o.c.'s and not as harmful as they imagine. You eventually get used to it. Enjoy it!

The filter is to filter out the smell. I think it is something like carbon filter. If u can smell it, u should change the filter. By the way, the smell came from the heating of blanket to dry the ink. The imagine oil become fuse and exhaust to the filter. This VOC is not harmful to our body based on the MSDS. But to be safe, u should change the filter if u can smell the oil.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back