Ink Save

I played with Agfa's Ink Save. Didn't care for the "black box" implementation. Also didn't like that we couldn't proof the file. The way it fit into our workflow it performed a color conversion just before screening and sending out to PrintDrive.

Can't speak to the effectiveness of their implementation. I was unwilling to put something out to press that changed between the proofing and plating.

When talking printdrive that means an older system? You can proof the file as well as any from the print drive, but really how would one acurately proof any ink save without doing an analouge proof?

I think this will do it. I used 85% GCR which is fairly aggressive. I set the option to preserve blacks and solid primaries. There is an option to leave registration blacks (100 C,M,Y & K) alone. There is also an option for blacks with under colors. You can preserve the under colors and black, leave black alone and process the under colors or process blacks and under colors normally. For this sample I set it to preserve black and process the under colors. Depending on what you are needing to do you would want to change those settings and therefore need a different device link.

Thanks Matt, much appreciated, I will compare this to the original and the Binuscan version!

For the record, what was the name of the DVLP solution that you used? Was this part of Callas Toolbox?

If anyone else would like to provide a conversion for to compare, please go ahead and chime in!

Stephen Marsh

On this sample I used TGLC's PerfX Device Link Pro to build the link. I can build one with Alwan Link Profiler also if needed.

The separations themselves, at least in the CMY plates are fairly different. The black plates aren't too far off from each other. Visually though the look, at least to me, is very close.

Alwan

Alwan

Hi,

We are testing Alwan´s CMYK Optimizer ECO

Someone knows the real difference between this one and the Pree Press y Press version?

How this soft works with Apogee 6 work flow?

There is a chance to emulate it for PC?

Thanks again

Salute

Gaston

Hello... our experience in Hungary has been that we cannot use InkSave effectively without a standardized printing environment. When you have that, you can really save...

(Believe or not, we had a customer, who has tried without. Was not funny.)

Other ways to save.

Other ways to save.

If you're doing massive text printing and want to know how much you could save just by switching to different fonts and font sizes check out this ink-usage calculator. See how much you could be saving (or spending) by switch fonts and font points.. You start by picking the font and font size your using, then pick the one your going to switch to and it will give you a percentage of how much you save (or spend). Hope this can help...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back