Interactive Book Featured at PRINT 18

prwhite

Administrator
Staff member
Publishing strategy firm IntuIdeas—along with co-authors, Cal Poly Professor Emeritus Harvey Levenson & Former Seybold editor John Parsons—will be discussing & demonstrating a printed book with an interactive component at PRINT-18 (Booth 4836).

Levenson described the book, “As an interactive book printed on paper that allows navigation to video presentations by industry experts, and video demonstrations of technology used in the graphic communication industry—prepress, press, post press, color, design, typography, packaging, history, industry segments and much more.”

The book, Introduction to Graphic Communication, 2nd Edition, is the first textbook to use Ricoh’s Clickable Paper app as a bridge to related video and other interactive, mobile content. The book itself was printed on a Ricoh VC60000 inkjet press.

How many different apps do I need to fill up my phone storage in order to view interactive media from different sources? The way things are going I won't have room for any other type of app.

Gordo is spot on -

I asked several people at the show if there was ONE app that reads embedded interactive media - and eyes glazed over. Several people told me I need to invent it and become rich. (LOL - ok, not my expertise, but I'll get right on that)

There should be. Better yet, it should be built right into the phone's camera. Anyone have info on if that's being developed?

From the marketing/advertising standpoint - it's coming and people are going to want the digital interaction more and more. I can easily envision a world where you can point your phone at everything and it has interactive activities embedded.

A coworker today mentioned botanical use - "I don't know what this bush is, point phone, and a webpage pops up with information about the bush type..." makes sense to me.

What about in an art gallery? "Oh, I really like this print!" Point camera, here's a whole interactive engagement with the artist, explaining how they designed the piece, what their inspiration was, links to other pieces of work they've done, etc

Thoughts?

Technical hiccups?

Last edited:
Reactions: EEM
Gordo is spot on -

I asked several people at the show if there was ONE app that reads embedded interactive media - and eyes glazed over. Several people told me I need to invent it and become rich. (LOL - ok, not my expertise, but I'll get right on that)

There should be. Better yet, it should be built right into the phone's camera. Anyone have info on if that's being developed?

From the marketing/advertising standpoint - it's coming and people are going to want the digital interaction more and more. I can easily envision a world where you can point your phone at everything and it has interactive activities embedded.

Thoughts?

Technical hiccups?

Google used to have something similar - I think it was called google eyes (don't quote me). Point your camera at something and it would do a web search for that. I used it to get reviews about movies by just pointing the camera at a DVD case. But it appears to be discontinued.

I'm not convinced that people are going to want the digital interaction more and more. The technology has been here for at least 15 years now. It's the technology vendors who want it to try to convince marketers (and hence their print suppliers) to buy into it. That's why there are so many different apps that do the same or similar things. You'll see one off examples like the augmented reality Esquire magazine of 2009 ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeL9ffBczOE ). 2009! almost ten years ago. Did that become a regular feature of Esquire? Nope.

If there was a standard for these types of apps and the reader so that the tech could be embedded in any phone's camera app then there might be some traction. But until then it just give vendors something to talk about.

Last edited:
It was Google glass I believe - and I agree that the technology hasn't gained traction (yet)... but I'm not convinced it won't. Google was a little "too forward" thinking. I don't want to wear it - ie, glasses that look stupid. But I carry my phone everywhere, and would definitely use it for the interactivity if there was one app, or function built into the camera. (what was that Pokeman game everyone was walking around playing?)

Wine bottles - Livingwinelabel.com

Cereal boxes - GM ran a Halloween campaign back in 2015 or something

Shopping/Retail Direct mail - Porter Magazine

I could sit here and come up with a million ways to use it - and as our younger folks, who have grown up with smart phones in their hands, come of age - I think they will want more of it.

It was Google glass I believe - and I agree that the technology hasn't gained traction (yet)... but I'm not convinced it won't. Google was a little "too forward" thinking. I don't want to wear it - ie, glasses that look stupid. But I carry my phone everywhere, and would definitely use it for the interactivity if there was one app, or function built into the camera. (what was that Pokeman game everyone was walking around playing?)

I could sit here and come up with a million ways to use it - and as our younger folks, who have grown up with smart phones in their hands, come of age - I think they will want more of it

No, not google glass. This was a Google app for phone or a function in Chrome. you would just point your phone at an object, e.g. DVD case, building, etc and it would search the web for it and give you info about what your seeing with your phone.

Please, don't be ageist. Usage of the tech has nothing to do with the age of the user. It has to do with the crappy implementation of the technology.

Ha! Ok, fair point. Implementation is like what 95% of the game? I wasn’t at all trying to be ageist, I think it has more to do with comfort, recognition, and dependency...

Speaking of implementation - Google must have missed the mark with the app - I had no idea they had that. I just thought they tried Google Glass and failed.. LOL

Ha! Ok, fair point. Implementation is like what 95% of the game? I wasn’t at all trying to be ageist, I think it has more to do with comfort, recognition, and dependency...

Speaking of implementation - Google must have missed the mark with the app - I had no idea they had that. I just thought they tried Google Glass and failed.. LOL

Being an old f@rt I've gotten quite sensitive to the ageist bias that many people display - often without realizing it - so I tend to flag it whenever I can. So, no problem - you're not the only one LOL

Yes, I really miss that app.

How many different apps do I need to fill up my phone storage in order to view interactive media from different sources? The way things are going I won't have room for any other type of app.

You only need the CP Clicker App, downloadable from Google Play or the Apple app store. Then you simply take a photo of the text, or image or page and it takes you wherever the link is programmed to take you.

If you want to try it out attached is one you can scan yourself. Clickable Paper_examples.pdf

Attachments

• Clickable Paper_examples.pdf
    810.9 KB · Views: 433
You only need the CP Clicker App, downloadable from Google Play or the Apple app store. Then you simply take a photo of the text, or image or page and it takes you wherever the link is programmed to take you.

I think you may have missed the point or misunderstood my post and the other responses.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back