interesting quirk in ppm4.5

rbailleu

for some reason meta could not see ppi today. so cockpit would not let me output plates. I could not drop into meta. ppi does not get anything until I set meta to go. why cant I output anything just because ppi is unplugged or restarting. what ever.

For this reason you should always let Meta output all files onto local harddisks; that way a turned off or unreachable machine won't interfere with the output. Besides it is faster to write on local harddisks than over a network. Not that speed matters much if you output the low resolution files for PPI ;)

Let PPI get the files off of Meta's harddisk.

Oh and just in case disaster strikes, set up some old fashioned hotfolders with Meta that output with the same styles as PPM->Meta would. That way you have a backup if PPM strikes and you have to output some plates.

well right now its setup like heidelberg wants it, but if it continues to have issues I will look into changing it. we do have ppm and meta on the same machine so hopefully we can always get something out by turning off cip3 or making some other small adjustment.

well right now its setup like heidelberg wants it, but if it continues to have issues I will look into changing it. we do have ppm and meta on the same machine so hopefully we can always get something out by turning off cip3 or making some other small adjustment.

Interesting. Heidelberg Germany insisted on all output folders to be local on Meta's machine for this kind of problems. I would create some hotfolders for Meta nontheless, just to be on the safe side :)

all I know is that heidelberg came in and did a complete reinstall wiped everything and started from scratch. new ppi machine new cockpit machine.

Good for you and good for Heidelberg. I hope to see this happen more often (complete wipe and re-install). Legacy upgrades generations and generations back lead to new features and efficiencies not being used as well as problematic software issues.

yes I thought this was an excellent suggestion on heidelbergs part. since this was a second setup for us. and we did not need it as a live system.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back