KM 1075 / 1085 vs. Xerox Versant 80 vs Ricoh C7100

Baldbug

Hi Everyone,

We have had a 700i for 3.5 years and are looking at an upgrade. Only KM have come to the party as yet. I know a couple of businesses who have the Km 1075 and only have minor paper probs. Has anyone got a KM 1085 and how are you getting along with it??

As for the Versant 80, Xerox are slow coming to the party and I only have info from PrintEx 15 in Sydney 2 weeks ago. Is anyone running a Versant 80 and how are you getting along with this press also??

And the Heidelberg Ricoh C7100 I'm concerned about Servicing with no other Heidelberg Ricoh C7100's down here atm.

I'm looking for recommendations between the Xerox Versant 80 and the Konica Press C1070. Would you give me some advice please?

Thanks

Not sure how the Versant 80 compares with the Versant 2100 in print quality, but I would imagine it would be very similar. We are INCREDIBLY happy with our 2100 after coming from a lemon of a J75. Consistent colour and great registration front to back. The Versant 80 uses the same belt technology, just smaller. If it is anything like our 2100 it will be a great unit. There is also the added bonus of being able to print envelopes. We do not print a lot of full colour, but it is nice to be able to do it when something rush comes along.

Not sure how the Versant 80 compares with the Versant 2100 in print quality, but I would imagine it would be very similar. We are INCREDIBLY happy with our 2100 after coming from a lemon of a J75. Consistent colour and great registration front to back. The Versant 80 uses the same belt technology, just smaller. If it is anything like our 2100 it will be a great unit. There is also the added bonus of being able to print envelopes. We do not print a lot of full colour, but it is nice to be able to do it when something rush comes along.

what is the cost (price) difference between the J75 and Versant 2100? I don't think it's a very fair comparison between the two.
We've been trying to demo on a Versant 80 but Xerox keep putting us off by tell us Versant 80 uses the "same" technology as the Versant 2100. Does anyone really think you can pay Versant 80 price and get Versant 2100 quality?

what is the cost (price) difference between the J75 and Versant 2100? I don't think it's a very fair comparison between the two.
We've been trying to demo on a Versant 80 but Xerox keep putting us off by tell us Versant 80 uses the "same" technology as the Versant 2100. Does anyone really think you can pay Versant 80 price and get Versant 2100 quality?

There are some differences, the Versant 2100 can duplex 350 GSM, the Versant 80 cannot, the 2100 has a full width array automating colour calibration and paper alignment. I am not sure if the Versant 80 uses the stock catalogue on the RIP, but I am really liking how I can keep profiles for all my stocks. They are definitely different, the Versant 2100 is about $100k more then the J75. Our J75 was a nightmare, problems that could never be fixed, was not able to do what it said it would do. They say the print quality should be the same with the Versant 80, obviously you would want to check it out, but it is supposedly the same belt fuser and insides, just shrunk down to fit a smaller body. If it performs anything like the 2100, I would say it would be a great machine.

I believe the Versant 80 uses the same developer housing as the 75s and the 700s before. If that is in fact the case than the image quality will not match the smooth solids of the 2100.

I have plenty of info on KM 1070/1085 and KM customers and Ricoh C7100 but no Ricoh customers, and nothing much on Versant 80 only that 700/700i/J75/C75 users are changing over to Versant 80 and 2100. The Hicap rollers looked better at Printex in Sydney and rep said they were changed because of customer pressure to do so. The fuser is all new, but as for the other periferals they looked much the same. We're on our second Square Edge Cutter folder and now that's giving grief also.

I am with Xerox and am the marketing manager for the Xerox Versant 80 Press. Some pretty significant differences between the Versant 80 and 2100 press. I like to put it in three buckets: 1) speed / duty cycle – or level of production capability; 2) automation – with 2100 the Full Width Array provides almost total automation on the 80 you have to do some functions like scan a sheet if you want to create a image to media alignment profile; 3) foot print & price point – the 2100 is more robust, bigger, has more automation and features and if you have that level of production the right choice, the 80 has many of the same features, is smaller and less cost because it does not have all features (or they are done differently / not as automated).

Image Quality – is identical on both the Versant 80 & 2100. It is the same fusing system and toner (newly formulated for Versant). They both have Ultra HD – which is 10 bit, or four times the standard press pixels on a page when using EFI controller. This assumes you are using good processes to get your results – and they should be indistinguishable. However, the level of production robustness, automation, and duty cycle are different (if you are doing closer to 80K a month go with V80 – over 100K consistently a month look at the V2100).

I did a Google Hangout with the two customers who did the Versant 80 Early Customer Engagement test with me before we brought the product to market – you can view it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnLhjkdK-O0 (first part is about Ultra HD skip to about 19 minutes in to hear from Tim and Betsy on V80 press) . Here is what Cortland Press said (they never had a Xerox product) about using the Versant 80 for a few months http://youtu.be/FEmZ6KAUhzg and Alphaset is keeping the V80 but getting a few V2100’s because they needed the extra production.

Hope this helps.

Canon Imagepress C800

Canon Imagepress C800

Hi Everyone,

We have had a 700i for 3.5 years and are looking at an upgrade. Only KM have come to the party as yet. I know a couple of businesses who have the Km 1075 and only have minor paper probs. Has anyone got a KM 1085 and how are you getting along with it??

As for the Versant 80, Xerox are slow coming to the party and I only have info from PrintEx 15 in Sydney 2 weeks ago. Is anyone running a Versant 80 and how are you getting along with this press also??

And the Heidelberg Ricoh C7100 I'm concerned about Servicing with no other Heidelberg Ricoh C7100's down here atm.

Watch This Video Of Canon imagepressC800 Printing 10,000 12 X 18 in 1 Day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j51vtZ5Es5I

I am with Xerox and am the marketing manager for the Xerox Versant 80 Press. Some pretty significant differences between the Versant 80 and 2100 press. I like to put it in three buckets: 1) speed / duty cycle – or level of production capability; 2) automation – with 2100 the Full Width Array provides almost total automation on the 80 you have to do some functions like scan a sheet if you want to create a image to media alignment profile; 3) foot print & price point – the 2100 is more robust, bigger, has more automation and features and if you have that level of production the right choice, the 80 has many of the same features, is smaller and less cost because it does not have all features (or they are done differently / not as automated).

Image Quality – is identical on both the Versant 80 & 2100. It is the same fusing system and toner (newly formulated for Versant). They both have Ultra HD – which is 10 bit, or four times the standard press pixels on a page when using EFI controller. This assumes you are using good processes to get your results – and they should be indistinguishable. However, the level of production robustness, automation, and duty cycle are different (if you are doing closer to 80K a month go with V80 – over 100K consistently a month look at the V2100).

I did a Google Hangout with the two customers who did the Versant 80 Early Customer Engagement test with me before we brought the product to market – you can view it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnLhjkdK-O0 (first part is about Ultra HD skip to about 19 minutes in to hear from Tim and Betsy on V80 press) . Here is what Cortland Press said (they never had a Xerox product) about using the Versant 80 for a few months http://youtu.be/FEmZ6KAUhzg and Alphaset is keeping the V80 but getting a few V2100’s because they needed the extra production.

Hope this helps.

Hi Brian,
Does the Versant 80 use the same peripherals as the 700 series? HiCap trays, decurlers, C fold Z fold, Square Edge trimmer unit???

Hi Brian,
Does the Versant 80 use the same peripherals as the 700 series? HiCap trays, decurlers, C fold Z fold, Square Edge trimmer unit???

Yes, for the most part, very similar. However on V80 we added more production options. DFA connection for finishing is now available allowing you to add Horizons or Plockmatic 35/50 for inline. As well as the Feeders - we now offer an Advanced High Capacity (same one that comes standard on the V2100) for extra sheet capacity and 350gsm / envelop printing, and robust media handling.

What you are going to see is a marked improvements over the 7xx is much better registration, front to back, skew, magnification, and perpendicularity – the agility to get great image to media alignment. You can print a sheet and scan it into the printer – creating a stock profile (check out Xerox Versant 80 Press: Automated Color Publishing and look for the Video menu to see feature). Also the new fusing system (same as V2100) increase your media latitude (52gsm to 350gsm), lots of stock options (polys, linens, envelops), and Ultra HD for 1200 x 1200 by 10bit, it ends up giving you 4X the amount of pixels on the page – so sweeps, transitions, and even fine text are dramatically improved.

Last edited:
Versant 80

Versant 80

We have a Versant 80 and cant fault it. Brilliant print quality. The only setback is that the new Fiery software has removed the colorwise tools so writing profiles is a lot harder to do. You might want to consider Xerox server software if it has the ability to adjust toner density levels.

Cheers
Donna

Hi Everyone,

Hi Donna,
Does your Versant 80 have the Performance Package? How about the RIP? Which version is that?

Thanks in advance.

Londen

We have a Versant 80 and cant fault it. Brilliant print quality. The only setback is that the new Fiery software has removed the colorwise tools so writing profiles is a lot harder to do. You might want to consider Xerox server software if it has the ability to adjust toner density levels.

Cheers
Donna

Hi Londen

No we dont have the performance package. We use a efi es 2000 spectrophotometer offline and are investigating output profile software. Im not happy that the colorwise pro tools have been removed. What used to take a minute to do now takes ages to perform with their new software. The versant 80 has exceptionally rich color and for the best part is suitable for most work. I use Quite Imposing for my imposition software to assist with alignment. Recently I wrote to QI and asked them to include a skew adjustment so that straightening the image could be done at the PDF level rather than having to adjust skew on the device. The new test beta is brilliant. With QI we now have an extremely operator friendly device. Our Fiery is the Fiery EX-i and EX Print Server

Hi Donna,
Does your Versant 80 have the Performance Package? How about the RIP? Which version is that?

Thanks in advance.

Londen

I was invited to print some of my files, booklets, business cards on a KM1085 this week in a showroom. I was very impressed at the print quality, speed, solid construction of the 1085 and peripherals. The 1085 is a massive improvement over my 700i. The Air Blow and Air suction are game changers for me after all the fun we've had with our 700i's paper feeding probs.

@MIE: Why are modifying your print file to solve registration problems? It is a problem which is related to a specific press and/or print media and should be fixed at the press, I think. Otherwise you need to have several versions of your print file for several presses and/or several medias. Is there any reason why you are not using the SIQA Tool on the V80? One of its tasks is to automatically measure the image-on-paper position and front-to-back registration, then stores the measurements in a profile which can be applied to a print media. It is very accurate and extremely easy to use.

Last edited:
Thanks. We are looking at Canon C700, KM C1070 and Versant 80.

Londen

Hi Londen

No we dont have the performance package. We use a efi es 2000 spectrophotometer offline and are investigating output profile software. Im not happy that the colorwise pro tools have been removed. What used to take a minute to do now takes ages to perform with their new software. The versant 80 has exceptionally rich color and for the best part is suitable for most work. I use Quite Imposing for my imposition software to assist with alignment. Recently I wrote to QI and asked them to include a skew adjustment so that straightening the image could be done at the PDF level rather than having to adjust skew on the device. The new test beta is brilliant. With QI we now have an extremely operator friendly device. Our Fiery is the Fiery EX-i and EX Print Server

@MIE: Why are modifying your print file to solve registration problems? It is a problem which is related to a specific press and/or print media and should be fixed at the press, I think. Otherwise you need to have several versions of your print file for several presses and/or several medias. Is there any reason why you are not using the SIQA Tool on the V80? One of its tasks is to automatically measure the image-on-paper position and front-to-back registration, then stores the measurements in a profile which can be applied to a print media. It is very accurate and extremely easy to use.

We have a set of specific jobs which require overprints on a stock size of 150mm by 150mm. It is supplied by the client and SIQA doesnt support this stock size. Also in some instances the heavier stocks we use for business card can require a further manual adjustment.

The Ricoh 7110x Rocks! Runs at rated speed on Heavy stocks, runs 18pt no problem, will Duplex 16pt, Runs 27" long sheets.
Best Purchase Ever!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back