Kodak Quantum Lotem 800???

Hi All

We are looking at purchasing a new CTP System, we have been offered a brand new Quantum Lotem 800 by Kodak..... Any One got any views on these and if they are any good or if they are having any Issues with it...

Apparently its a 2006 Model but Brand New.... Begs Questions...

I have used the Lotem 800 - but it was the first Version from Scitex/Creo and it was an ok machine when the punches didn't get jammed....

It will be running a 1 Bit Tiff Catcher - we have Esko Artwork, Odystar Workflow.

Cheers

Pete

We have a Creo lotem 800 II quantum S run through Brisque and its run great for years. (punch jam sounds like air pressure problem). My biggest complaint is the paper sticking to the Kodak plates. Too much static used to hold the paper on? The other issue is switching from 40" plates to 25" plates sometimes causes an exposed 2" area on the corner edge by the punch side of the plate, but not a big deal.

How do you like Esko artworks Odystar workflow? (need to replace Brisque)

Cheers for that

Do you have a maintenance contract - if so - do the dial in from the net??? How is their service...

We only have 1 plate size which is nice... both presses the same size....

Workflows... I did a LOT of traveling the country seeing all the different workflows... I also came from Brisque.... (And I loved Em)... Esko Artwork Odystar RULES... Best thing I have EVER used.... Although it depends on your needs...

I also used prinergy at a previous company...

The biggest problem I found was Pringery, Rampage, Apoogee, etc couldn't handle transparancies as well as Odystar.... Bear in mind Esko OWN Enfocus so upgrades to Pitstiop Server are free and they sort Transparencies well.... The Other thing is the others are all on PC's.... Odystar is on a MAC - I have a MacPro Dual Quad Core 3.0ghz with 16Gb of ram and it FLYS!!!!!!! The Rip is also on the mac and its FAST.... we had a Harlequin Rip it was taking 18mins to Rip a 4 colour set - Odystar Rip take 2mins.... It Also drives our Proofers, Lasers, etc... Its unstoppable if you ask me... and easy and quick too... My Bosses have realised that since I put it in we have increased Productivity within the studio by and estimated 411% (Estimate taken from our MIS)....

BUT the best thing for ME as Studio Manager..... Its on a Mac.... We had a Power Surge not so long ago which Fried the Hard Drives.... I pulled out a Spare Internal HardDrive.... Installed the OSX Server and Odystar and was back up and running within 2 hours.... I did call Support but only to let them know what I was doing JUST IN CASE I had a problem.....

Now the Question I have is - could ANY of the other workflows have been able to support you in this way so Quickly...

NOW we have plenty of Mac Pros in the studio so I have created a Back up of the Odystar Harddrive which sits in the Fire Safe... i can be up and runing within Minutes now....

Email me if you want to know more about Functionality????

Do yourself a favour - Odystar ALL the way....

Last edited:
Brand new Quantum Lotem 800 from 2006? Doesn't that concern you? They don't make Lotems anymore. Do you want to invest in a 3-year old "brand new" machine?

We have a Quantum Lotem. We are also getting a Magnus. But I'd recommend that you check out the Javelins.

Hi All

We are looking at purchasing a new CTP System, we have been offered a brand new Quantum Lotem 800 by Kodak..... Any One got any views on these and if they are any good or if they are having any Issues with it...

Apparently its a 2006 Model but Brand New.... Begs Questions...

I have used the Lotem 800 - but it was the first Version from Scitex/Creo and it was an ok machine when the punches didn't get jammed....

It will be running a 1 Bit Tiff Catcher - we have Esko Artwork, Odystar Workflow.

Cheers

Pete

Dear Sir ,

We are ready to supply you a CTP Kodak Lotem 800 11/ Quantum 2400 dpi S in very good Conditioned . Year 2006
Price € 45,000 .
let us know so that we can send you Photo and more info.

Mr. L. Munian

Lotem800Q

Lotem800Q

LOTem800Q from Kodak , Go for it. You will receive a remanufactured machine that will be like new. With this you will easily connect to Prinergy and will be able to use Staccato as you will have a Thermal2 head. Many parts in the LotemQ were upgraded from the original machines. Also, you will get very good support from your local Kodak engineers.

Lotem 800 Quantum

Lotem 800 Quantum

I've worked with a Lotem 400 and currently a 800 Quantum. They are quite solid machines. We were running Sword Excel plates with consistent and excellent results. We had 13 different plate sizes running through the 400 (crazy).

As for service I'm quite lucky as I'm in Kodak's back yard in Burnaby, BC Canada. Phone response is good once you get through to a tech and the on-site (if required) technicians are great.

Our workflows were Prinergy Evo and Prinergy Connect.

I have no concerns about the machine but being from North America I can't comment on the state of service in the UK.

Hope this helps.

Jackie

The state of service is also good in the UK. There are some very good engineers that are based in the Birmingham area.:):)

I can tell you that a Lotem either used or otherwise is an excellent platesetter.
I two had minor issues with the slip sheets otherwise you can not say enough about the reliability.
It is hard to find better out there

Get a Quantum if you can and also a remanufactured one and not just cleaned machine. You are better off with a TH2 head then a fibre head as you will get better dot structure. You get a Gausian dot with the fibre machine and a Square spot with the Quantum. Go for it!

Yeah this is exactly my concerns... a 3 year old 'Brand New" machine.... Mmmmm

In talking with other printers at various conferences etc Kodak support is regional - it depends on your field engineers and manager. Some field engineers and managers are excellent while others in another part of the country are not. That has been our experience as well when Kodak redistricted our area our support is not as good from the incoming manager.

This might be helpful:

Kodak support...are you kidding me?

Yesss, Congratz, Creo- Scitex and Kodak, almost equipment are great! A Quantum is solid, reliable and valued one.
Cheer!

I am looking for a list of "approved" - Qualified plates on KODAK CTP anyone has such?

Hi YOSSISU,

Send me a private message to where about you are and I might be able to help you with contacts for your question.

Yesss, Congratz, Creo- Scitex and Kodak, almost equipment are great! A Quantum is solid, reliable and valued one.
Cheer!

The equipment may be ok but it's doesn't matter if support doesn't keep you up and running without ongoing problems. Whether Kodak support is good or not depends on the field engineers in your area.

Our area support is not so good - ongoing problems, recurring downs, then completely down. Managers can be helpful but ours isn't. I'd also be concerned about support since they don't even make it any more.

The question to ask is can you afford the down time if the Kodak support is poor in your area?

The equipment may be ok but it's doesn't matter if support doesn't keep you up and running without ongoing problems. Whether Kodak support is good or not depends on the field engineers in your area.

Our area support is not so good - ongoing problems, recurring downs, then completely down. Managers can be helpful but ours isn't. I'd also be concerned about support since they don't even make it any more.

The question to ask is can you afford the down time if the Kodak support is poor in your area?

Yes, KW4848 is half of right. You are correct: spare part and service from Kodak are expensive and sometime it's difficult to locate one engineer to do services.
You are incorrect: we should be taught and trained carefully to operate equipment. We should take care and maintain it. As far, we reach and try to connect some good engineer before it is broken.

Good luck!

KW
I would like to know where about you are as I am interested in the service you are getting. Send me a private message with the above.

Leo,
We have a service agreement and maintain our equipment, that's not the problem:

We contact Kodak/Creo remote support who insist it’s software problem they can resolve, try to fix it over the phone, ask repeatedly for a field engineer as we suspect it is a hardware problem, guy comes out and works with remote support, points to air conditioning - this actually happened - and explains this is not a problem Kodak/Creo is responsible for.

We continue to have the same problem, call Kodak/Creo again, guy comes back to fix same problem, orders wrong part etc…only a couple field engineers in our area consistently solve problems the first trip.

If we say it’s the SAME PROBLEM, remote or field technicians and managers point to the customer as being difficult, then support gets worse! Anymore we just say we have a problem or ask other printers for solutions.

We do this dance all the time for months at a time. Why do we have to go through all of this just to get a bad part replaced?

Our sales rep said he tried to get better support from our manager and his boss but neither one are helpful and both complain about customers. Our Kodak sales rep recommends not upgrading after working with these managers....no surprise here. Good support from Kodak/Creo depends on your location and the managers and field engineers in your area:

Leo,
We have a service agreement and maintain our equipment, that's not the problem:

We contact Kodak/Creo remote support who insist it’s software problem they can resolve, try to fix it over the phone, ask repeatedly for a field engineer as we suspect it is a hardware problem, guy comes out and works with remote support, points to air conditioning - this actually happened - and explains this is not a problem Kodak/Creo is responsible for.

We continue to have the same problem, call Kodak/Creo again, guy comes back to fix same problem, orders wrong part etc…only a couple field engineers in our area consistently solve problems the first trip.

If we say it’s the SAME PROBLEM, remote or field technicians and managers point to the customer as being difficult, then support gets worse! Anymore we just say we have a problem or ask other printers for solutions.

We do this dance all the time for months at a time. Why do we have to go through all of this just to get a bad part replaced?

Our sales rep said he tried to get better support from our manager and his boss but neither one are helpful and both complain about customers. Our Kodak sales rep recommends not upgrading after working with these managers....no surprise here. Good support from Kodak/Creo depends on your location and the managers and field engineers in your area:

KW
I would like to know where about you are as I am interested in the service you are getting. Send me a private message with the above.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back