Leaking Ink Fountain

Pressmanscooter

I run a '92 40" Heidelberg CD and I have 1 unit that leaks ink between the fountain roller and end plates. Its been going on for over a year. Tried everything.... New end plates, new plastic over the metering cylinders, new foam piece for under the end plate. Nothing works. All good advice welcome.

Thanks
Scott

Did you checked the basic position of the ink fountain? When ink fountain swung up and fixed, there must be a distance of 0.25 mm between the fountain roller and two supporting bars at D.S and O.S. This must be checked without the ink liner and protective foil.

Last edited:
See the attached image. I have pointed an arrow.
CPC edited.jpg

Last edited:
couple of suggestions....
1. be sure to coat the contact area of the plastic cheek with a thin film of grease
2. when tightening down the two thumbscrews press forward on the cheek so it makes best contact with the fountain roller
3. tighten down the front thumbscrew first, then followed by the rear. not too tight!!!
4. Be sure that there is no dried ink buildup on the very corners of the fountain so as to avoid a place for fresh ink to build.

Thanks everyone. All great suggestions. The main culprit was the basic fountain position. The DS is not perfect, no ink visible on the last few mm of the barrel. The OS is much better but a tiny bead will form around the edge of the, but not enough to build up and run down into the roller train like before. I'll have to keep nudging it until I find the sweet spot.

Thanks again for great advice.

Thanks everyone. All great suggestions. The main culprit was the basic fountain position. The DS is not perfect, no ink visible on the last few mm of the barrel. The OS is much better but a tiny bead will form around the edge of the, but not enough to build up and run down into the roller train like before. I'll have to keep nudging it until I find the sweet spot.

Thanks again for great advice.
have you tried using new cheeks? If you find that new cheeks make for a better seal then I would suggest you mark your cheeks so that they can always be installed in the same position on the press.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back