Legally purchase CS3

judyj

Does anyone know if there is a legal way to purchase an upgrade and/or full version of CS3? We have a computer that has been running CS2 but we need to upgrade to match the versions on another machine -- but I can't seem to find anything online that looks legitimate... any ideas?

Judy

Does anyone know if there is a legal way to purchase an upgrade and/or full version of CS3? We have a computer that has been running CS2 but we need to upgrade to match the versions on another machine -- but I can't seem to find anything online that looks legitimate... any ideas?

Judy

Go to Amazon.com

Amazon.com: adobe cs3

best, gordon p

I'm having trouble understanding why you can't find an online vendor to purchase the full version of CS3 from. There are many businesses online that offer it, including (as Gordo mentioned) Amazon and buy.com. Why do find them not to be legitimate? or why not upgrade both to CS4?

Last edited:
Adobe products at Amazon

Adobe products at Amazon

Thanks for that tip -- I noticed that Amazon had some products and thought that they would be legit -- but they only have CS3 for Windows and I need it for a Mac. We thought we would be replacing that machine but things slowed down... and it won't run CS4 so upgrading the Mac AND purchasing CS4 upgrade (from CS2) are a big expense right now. I suppose I will have to weigh spending almost $700 for a new license on CS3, if I can find one, against the cost of other upgrades -- or trying to move the work to another shop.

Judy

Legally purchase CS3

Oxburger -- I do not see CS3 offered on Adobe's site -- only CS4. If I do a google search, some stores will show CS3 but when I actually click the link, the product is CS4 -- the only links I have found, other than Amazon, which doesn't have a mac version, are for companies that, when you look at their license agreements, obviously aren't legit. If you have a link to a page on Adobe that offers CS3, would you send it to me at: [email protected]. Thanks so much, Judy

I have had good luck with Softwaremedia.com. I purchased a couple of applications from them (Microsoft FrontPage 2003 and Adobe CS4), and have been happy with the price and the service. See their credentials page for their re-seller authorizations.

try craigslist and buy a used copy, obviously look at it before purchasing to make sure it is the real deal.

Buying CS3

Buying CS3

Have you tried speaking to the sales reps at Adobe.com? They obviously don't want to sell CS3, but may have it if you ask. I wanted to buy CS4 Design Edition instead of Premium Edition and had to ask them for it specifically. They went to great lengths to keep it out of the public eye.

I wouldn't trust a copy of CS3 from Craigslist...chances are the owner upgraded and is selling the outdated copy, which is not legal.

I wouldn't trust a copy of CS3 from Craigslist...chances are the owner upgraded and is selling the outdated copy, which is not legal.

Adobe has a license transfer policy in place for used software
Transfer an Adobe product license

As always, buyer beware, but if you make it a condition of the sale that the owner fills out the paperwork from the link above and transfers it to you with the original disks you can legally get used software from craigslist or eBay. When in doubt check the serial number with Adobe Customer Service at the link above. After all it's in their best interests to make sure the software you are purchasing is legal. :)

Unfortunately, with the current economic conditions there are probably a fair number of copies out there from companies that are closing their doors.

Shawn

Buy Cheap Software | Discount Computer Software for Mac & PC

I have personally used these people and the service is great.

Good luck!

I'd be very careful there. In some cases (such as Acrobat 9 Pro for Windows and Macintosh), they are advertising "too good to be true" prices that are well beneath dealer cost. Although they claim to be selling certain SKUs, the pricing is closer to that of the educational versions that have certain requirements for sale (if you are a prepress pro or a designer, unless you are a registered student in a degree program, you can't legally purchase and use these versions). They also claim to be selling an "OEM version" - something that they are not authorized to sell nor are you legally able to use.

Similar "too good to be true" pricing is being advertised for other Adobe products.

It is one thing if old versions are being sold on closeout, but there is no reason for a legitimate dealer to sell legitimate copies of current version software at an actual significant loss.

You've been warned!

- Dov

I have had good luck with Softwaremedia.com.

So have I - use them regularly and never had a problem. Unfortunately, they no longer carry the CS3 Creative Suite. For that matter, neither does Royal Discount recommended in another post.

As Dov Isaacs suggested, be careful not to end up with an Educational Version, a common scam of shady internet discounters. CS3 is probably too far back to be available from established, reputable firms. You could try Craigs List, but my first choice would be eBay, where you do have some recourse. Look for a full, unregistered, non-educational CS3 Creative Suite for around $800. Upgrades are usually $300 less. A search for "CS3 Creative Mac" sorted by highest price should give you more than one option.

The attachment is meant merely as an example. I don't know, nor can I vouch for, the seller. Good luck!

Hal Heindel

Attachments

• CS3_CreativeSuite_eBay.jpg
    CS3_CreativeSuite_eBay.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 189
Unfortunately, they no longer carry the CS3 Creative Suite.

You unintentionally made a couple of good points here (or maybe they were intentional?). I did a search on softwaremedia.com before I posted my original comment, and the CS3 Design Upgrade for Mac was available at that time. I see this morning that it's gone. (But there are C3 Production for Mac and C3.3 Web and Master versions still available.)

So, 1) if you have a legitimate source for older software, don't wait long before purchasing and 2) if you're listening, software vendors, yes, maybe you want to promote your latest and greatest, but have you considered the untapped revenue source you're missing out on by not selling older versions.

2) if you're listening, software vendors, yes, maybe you want to promote your latest and greatest, but have you considered the untapped revenue source you're missing out on by not selling older versions.

In reality, this is difficult to do. Continuing to license "older versions" implies ongoing support for same. Given that bug fixes are only supplied for newer versions, licensing "older versions" would require significant additional support resources that would would not make such "untapped revenue" so attractive. :(

- Dov

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back