Mock ups & Comps for packaging

shelkop

We are looking to purchase new print equipment for creating quality mock ups of consumer package cartons that we design in-house (aka "Comps , mock ups"). These mock ups are sent to retailers.
Can someone recommend a printer? We currently have an Epson 4900, but it prints on paper that is too flimsy.
1) We need something that can either:
A) print on board or rolls of board or a paper that is similar to a board
--OR--
B) Print on transfer film, which can be heat pressed to sbs board.
2) Do you recommend getting a laminator as well? If so, any recommendations?
We think we are looking in the 10K and lower cost range for either new or used. I've heard of Roland or Mutos in this range. But I'm trying to get my bearings here. Should we get an inkjet or an eco-solvent printer? Would love some guidance from anyone that produce comps and mock ups and can stear me in the right direction. I should add: Our company is NOT a design firm or comp/prototype company...we're a non RX drug company that has it's own design dept...and our needs are changing for better comps... we need to do them inhouse. It's my job to make this happen. Any suggestions regarding my particular question would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I believe that you will need to rethink your budget, from both the hardware and printer perspective.

EDIT –

A copy/paste from a similar thread:
  • Roland VersaCAMM VS-i Eco-Solvent Print/Cut: AUD $20-30K approx. (colour, white, silver – no “varnish”, possible wide gamut abilities when using the special CGS ORIS Flex Pack Solution of software, inks etc)
  • Extended Heater Unit for Roland: AUD $2K approx.
  • X-Rite i1pro2/i1iO table combo: AUD $4.5K approx.
  • CGS ORIS Flex Pack Web RIP: AUD $12K+ approx.
  • Suitable Laminator for ORIS transfer media: AUD $8K approx.
Then there are consumable costs, ink and media. CGS offer a range of eco-solvent proofing media for the Flex Pack solution as well as their own expanded gamut formulation inks for the VS-i printer, which need to be driven via the ORIS Flex Pack RIP.

CGS now have a wider range of Eco-Solvent coated boards, so you may not have as much need of the lamination film and laminator as when the product was first released.

If you don’t wish to go down the Eco-Solvent route which requires special media, then you can print on “just about anything” with a UV printer, but these are more costly:
  • Roland VersaUV LEC-540 LED UV Print/Cut: AUD $55K approx. (colour, white, varnish – no metallics, use a metallic substrate instead, not wide gamut, print results are “textured fluted” not flat).
This is pretty much the “top of the line, out of the box” solution package for mockups and proofing.

Keep in mind that both the VersaCAM and VersaUV units are print/cut/crease units. A manual approach would be to use a lesser printer with no print and cut capabilities and then cut/crease using a flatbed sample table (if you have one) or a “vinyl plotter” cutter if it will accept thicker media.

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
We offer an end to end Package Mock Up system. The media is on roll. Our proprietary manufacturing system starts with actual package substrates, We offer 3 shrink films, about 8 bag films, pressure sensitive films and folding carton board. Our clients use it to make shrink sleeves, bread bags, snack bags, liquid bags, holograms, folding cartons, etc.

Our products are most compatible with eco-solvent printers such as those made by Epson, Mimaki, Roland and Mutoh (disclaimer-we do not sell printers). The cost of these printers are as low as $9000 and often offer a print/cut solution and have white and silver ink. Our products are also used on UV and latex printers.

We have a lot of companies using our system but a lot more people do not know about it. Please look at my website at www.packageproofing.com. I apologize for the self promotion, but our products solve a problem and benefit those who need it.

The bad news:
Based on your budget I'm going to recommend that you outsource this instead of doing it internally. It'll take a whole lot of mockups to expense as much as the equipment software and man hours will require. You cannot even purchase a RIP capable of this within that budget, let alone a printer, inks, substrate, CAD/CAM cutting devices, etc.

The good news:
I looked at your profile. If you find a packaging vendor that you already do business with they will likely provide what you're requesting either for a low fee per mockup or completely free if you can justify sales volume/revenue to them. I know that there's at least 3 packaging convertors in Chicago that could provide this to you as a service who'd very much like your business.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back