New Epson 9900

lnivin

We have a new Epson 9900 and Tech Support is having trouble solving one of our issues. We're sending a PDF from Prinergy 4.1.2.6 to the EFI Colorproof XF (Epson) software.

We want to print the Spot Color on Clear Film (no problem) and then output the process colors to proof with the Spot Color knocking out to white.

When we turn the Spot Color off it's like turning a layer off. Even though the Spot is set to Knockout, at this point it's just gone and the image under it prints with no knock outs.

If we send just the Process Colors from Prinergy, it acts the same way. The Spot is gone, but there is no Knockout.

I know we can remap to another color in Prinergy, but I would like a smoother workflow that doesn't need operator intervention.

Any ideas are appreciated!

I can't directly help, however I would guess that the answer would be found in your EFI proofing RIP, if you don't wan't to mess around in your Kodak workflow software.

Stephen Marsh

Is this particular spot color set as either "transparent" or "dieline" in the color editor? It could either be a global or a job specific setting.

Also, if the color is set as "dieline" in the color editor, check the Render section of the process template and experiment with the "Dielines Overprint Other Content" option.

I know you are looking for a more elegent solution. but cant you just set the spot colors to opaque white and print it.

Just a thought but what if you produce the file from prinergy as separated file. Then all the overprints/knockouts are already done by the rip and will not change in EFI. At least in theory :). My last experiences from EFI are several years old.

Look at the PDF in Acrobat that Prinergy is sending to the Epson. Does it separate properly at this point? (This is before the PDF goes through EFI.)

If the answer is yes, I would believe the EFI is causing the spot to overprint

If the answer is no, it may be Prinergy's process template or how the color is defined in the color editor.

Do your VPS files separate like the PDF?

I believe the issue comes from the fact we are using a PDF workflow to the Epson.
- From Prinergy, sending imposed separations and not selecting the spot color, the spot does not knock out.
- From Prinergy, sending all colors, then turning spot off at Epson, the spot does not knock out.
- VPS's and Plating, the spot is knocking out

I'm currently creating a Workflow at the Epson (in EFI Colorproof) that converts spot colors to white. But I want to retain dielines and aqueous knockouts. I added a new color library that contains the spot colors "Die" and "Aqueous KO" but at the moment that doesn't seem to be working.

Thanks for all the ideas!

What format is Prinergy sending to the proofing RIP? Can Prinergy send rasterized files, like TIFF? If the piece is rasterized then the knockouts will be there. TIFF can support the spot separations and should be usable by the proofing RIP.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back