New Release CS 5.5

Just got back from a conference where we worked with 5.5 and got a preview of DPS. It's a whole new ball game, folks.

The question is if you want to (or think it is possible to survive without) diversify by offering digital publishing/repurposing.

We broke down and bought. Upgrade was $290 a seat. I installed, kept Illustrator, Photoshop, and Acrobat (X) - which is why I bought it. I deinstalled CS 5.5. Too many of my clients will not buy this. I do not want to have to save down to 5 for them all the time. Then, the first customer that shows up using it, I have it ready to do the install.

I never found the background processing that relevant. I rather know my PDF is done, close my file and move onto the next one. Instead I must wait for the warning box to close, then close my file. I have not found a way to turn off the background procesing.

p

So true.. I always wonder that why this feature is so much talked about.. Though i didn't found any profound utility.

Turn off Contact Grabber

Turn off Contact Grabber

does anybody know if it fixes the auto-guides? you know, the ones in CS5 that highlight every object once you mouse over it? it's maddening, and i can't figure out how to turn it off.

View menu:
Extras
Hide Content Grabber

View menu:
Extras
Hide Live Corners

also

View
Grids and Guides
Smartguides

I think you are probably referring to Content Grabber, but all three of these features drive me crazy.

I never found the background processing that relevant. I rather know my PDF is done, close my file and move onto the next one. Instead I must wait for the warning box to close, then close my file. I have not found a way to turn off the background procesing.

p

We had a CS 5.0 machine where making a PDF with background processing would constantly crash. It's a known bug. Don't know if it's fixed yet with 5.5 since that machine hasn't been upgraded, but here's the way to turn it off completely. Worked like a charm, and we haven't missed it.

A New Workaround for that Pesky Background Export Issue | InDesignSecrets

Shawn

In case anyone didn't know, opening an InDesign CS5.5 file is not possible with CS5. We received two jobs last week from two different customers who have 5.5. We purchased the upgrade and can now open those files.

Not happy,
Jon

horse manure

horse manure

We found CS5 to be the biggest pile of horse manure going, big advocates of adobe stuff, but complete tripe, tonnes of bugs in indesign, maybe these have been ironed out with .5, still wouldnt use anything else mind.

T

@UK printer, could you please be specific about "tonnes of bugs", good to know what to look out for, and it is also easier if we are to give you feedback on 5.5.

One specific problem I know of is that the span columns doesn't play with keep options (for example you may decide that headings begin in new frame, and then you use a body style that has span columns, and this hasn't been dealt with. And also split/span columns needs one line of "normal" text in the end of the story to work). I think that spanning and splitting columns will evolve, but it takes time for a feature to mature, though I do not consider it too serious because the bug is WISYWIG. But you had other "tonnes" of bugs?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back