Nexus 9 problems

rjneeley

I recently installed Nexus 9 -- on the rip, the manager, and nexus edit. I am having tons of problems with nexus manager though. I get an "out of memory" error on every job I rip into Nexus Edit and then release to the trapper. I get that same out of memory error on many other jobs. I have files that I try to run that ran fine when I ran them in Nexus 8.3, 8.4, and 8.5, but suddenly they can't run now. Input errors, out of memory, internal errors -- the list goes on and on. Is anyone else having these problems? I'm about to ditch this version and go backwards.

Another issue I'm having problems with is Insight. We use it rarely here, but I have some customers that set up press graphs in that program so I run their files thru there so i can apply that press graph. However, I can't grab those old press graph exported files anymore -- if I try, the program quits. If I try to rebuild that graph and resave it, the program quits. I can rebuild it and apply it, I just can't save it. If it was a couple of numbers it wouldn't be a problem, but we're talking 20 numbers per job, entered twice (once for CT, once for LW). AWS/Esko seems clueless as to what's wrong.

Could it be my rip? It's a Compaq Evo W8000 running Windows XP. AWS installed it here back in 2003, I'm sure it was a refurbished computer though. Could it be too old or too outdated to run this new software?

If anyone has any advice or comments, I'd be grateful to hear them!!!

Rachel

RE:

RE:

It may not be supported on Windows XP server.

See below from the EskoArtwork website:

Nexus on PC

Dedicated computer to run Nexus

* Processor: Dual 3.4 GHz or higher
* Operating system: Microsoft Windows 2003 Server SE (SP4) 32-bit incl. 10 client licenses. **
* Memory: 4 Gb***
* Harddisk space required for Nexus: 2 Gb + 150 Gb for production
* Formatting type for install partition: NTFS
* 1 available USB port or parallel port
* CD/DVD-ROM
* Gigabit Network card

** Operating system: upgrade to Microsoft Windows 2003 EE (SP1 and R2 and SP2) 32-bits, minimun 10 client licenses. Windows 2008 Server is not supported.
*** Memory: 8 Gb. Please notes that only Windows 2003 Server EE, 32-bits OS can see more then 4 Gb of Ram. This config will help run NexusRIP, PDF RIP and NexusProcessor simultaneously and smoothly. Windows 2008 Server is not supported.

nexus 9 problems

nexus 9 problems

Can't run Nexus 9 on what you have even though the server will try to do it anyway - 8.3 was the best version that was recommended to us. We had a Dell server with windows 2000 and that would never run Nexus 9-We upgraded us to MacOS Jaguar/Leopard and everything runs better than it ever did. You will either have to go back to the old Nexus version, upgrade the Windows OS, or ideally get a new server and system software. Need to look at what you can do with what you have, but 2003 is antique in computer years. Also sounds like the server just doesn't have enough memory to run the software, an upgrade on the system software may not help.

katbar

Consider a Mac platform. OS X is a true 64-bit operating system which allows full use of all hardware resources, meaning that on a Mac you can use all RAM you have installed above 4GB on Windows only 4GB can be addressed. More RAM = more speed. However, Nexus 9 PDF native Rip does appear to be much slower than previous versions! Classic Rip doesn't suffer this way.

OK, it's been awhile, but here's some more info. I finally had my rip totally overhauled. Windows Server 2003 has been installed, and it's been updated from 2GB of ram to 4GB. Seems to be running fabulously well. However, the problems that I had before are still problems now. When I trap a file, it will trap, but as soon as it goes to the next module, it stalls and eventually errors out. No other files can be trapped or ripped when this happens -- I have to go to the rip, do an "end task" on the Nexus Processor, and then can trap or rip files. The error message I get in Nexus Manager when this happens is this:

"Activity:Save:ArtPro File Module:Nexus Processor: Activity Not Responding"

Also, even though I rarely use Insight any more, I do have occasions when I need to. I have old press graph files that I use for certain customers and they are files I've been using for years. When I run a file thru a workflow to use those press graphs, though, I cannot select those old press graph files at all -- not even when I switch from "Enable All Readable Documents" to "Enable All Documents". The files remain grayed out and unselectable. I have tried inputting the information again in the Press Graph window and clicking on Export to save a new file, but as soon as I do that, Insight quits. I've asked Esko/Artwork about this, and Long Nguyen suggested that Quick Time was the problem and said that in order to get Insight to save out new Press Graph files, I'd need to downgrade to Quick Time 7.3. I just did that, and that fixed nothing, and caused my Nexus Manager to stop opening files for me -- the "Open File" button to the left of the file window is grayed out and does not work no matter what module I click on. This is SO frustrating. It's not that big of a pain to have to type in those 10 cutback curve numbers every time, but it would sure be handy to not have to!

One other thing I've noticed is that my Insight files do not open automatically from the rip. When I click on the Trapper module and click "open", it opens Nexus Edit, and then Insight opens up. The file itself does not open, though. I have to go to the jobs folder to find the trapped file, and either drag that to the Dock to open in Insight, or use File>Open in the Insight program. I've tried setting the file association to open with Insight, no change. I tried setting it to open with Nexus Edit. No change.

Any advice??? :)

Have you sent your workflow to Esko to have them look at it? To me it sounds like the workflow might not have it's dependencies built correctly. I had a similar problem when I upgraded from 7.5 to 8 and I either had to rebuild the workflow or correct the problem. I don't remember which.

Is it only Insight files that don't open directly from the workflow? Can you open files into Nexus Edit from the workflow?

It is only Insight files that won't open. Nexus Edit files open just fine.

No, I haven't tried sending them the workflow -- I've asked them several questions and all that, but maybe I'll just send the whole thing to them, see what they say. Thanks!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back