OKI es3640 / es9410 print issues

andy1

Hey guys,

If you've ever had an es3640 or es9410 and have had quality issues could you briefly outline such issues here please, I want to understand if I'm alone with my frustrations regarding this machine.

Thanks,
Andy

Andy hi. Print quality issues could be result of many many things including but not limited to flows in equipment design and quality. If you describe the situation, the job specifics and problems encountered, etc people might provide you with some info.
Roman.

Hi Roman,

Thanks for your message. The thread isn't a request for assistance, I've been arguing with the supplier/manufacturer for over a year now and they've thrown in the towel on fixing the issues, but insist I must pay their service contract. I'm trying to obtain a list of other peoples' problems with this machine, in the print for pay market I'm already aware of 2 other people who've had such serious issues they've returned the machine. If some others could come forward it'd help.

It doesn't matter what country you're in or what jobs you're doing but if you had the es3640/9410 I'd like to hear from you. Obviously it fits a niche of proof printing or certain applications that don't require glossy paper, smooth gradients, solid tints, colour registration or anything over 250gsm. But as above I'd just like to compile a list of print for pay providers who've had problems with these machines.

To be precise the issues this machine has: blistered print on coated stocks, stepped gradients, banding in any tints even if a constant colour, dot on dot registration very poor (up to half a mm out) especially on 250gsm+. The machine is sold as capable of glossy media, 300gsm card and for print for pay quality, clearly it isn't fit for this purpose with the above issues. After being shown this evidence most suppliers seem to mutually cancel any service contracts, that isn't the case for our supplier and I need to prove to them the machine isn't up to the job they sold it for.

Thanks,
Andrew

Last edited:
What to expect

What to expect

Andy,

I believe you went from a Xante to OKI - they are the same engine with some minor tweaks. So in a sense, you jumped out of the fire, and then back in. :)

I bought an OKI 9600 3 years ago and tried to print everything you are having issues with. I concur, it can't handle those demands, at least not consistently or economically. But I bought 6 more (2 9600, 1 3640, and 3 9800's).

I'm printing envelopes and bond sheets only, and while there are issues, it's a great engine which can be run very economically when properly matched to the job. It is essential to realize this OKI line is just an office machine. Given that every consumable is user replaceable, I think a service contract is a waste of money.

As regards the claims that it can run an acceptable image on coated and perfect graduated tints is probably a misrepresentation. But what constitutes acceptable is open to interpretation. The other issues are more or less an extension of the fact that heavy stock will wear down the imaging drums in a real hurry. You may get a few hundred decent sheets, but after that it's downhill.

I would say that had you purchased one of their new proColor line printers (OKI proColor | Products | OKI) you might have a real case.

Digital is full of lessened expectations - note the woes and wailngs of those on this board who have invested $20 to 50 thousand and still can't get dependable output.

Good luck in your appeal.

Well, I think it is simply like that:
Keep the record of all service calls, what was call made for an tech's records...
Have the advertising material handy to show what where you told at the point of sale.
Better yet - file a law suit of misrepresentation don't wait for them to file one against you. Insist on them taking equipment back and compensate you for legal expenses, paper, supplies and time wasted (keep some jobs and printed samples on stock that OKI stated is suitable to run) Person who is calling you may know very little about color quality, consistency, gradients, etc. while problem you describing is known so one that case is filed you may become the predator and get to talk to person who can make decision and negotiate. I have personally never bought the oki from oki nor had a service contract but I am sure that there are plenty of guys with similar issues plus there are few more Priniting forums where similar topics are being discussed. Also there are web-sites where Copier/Printer techs are discussing issues and helping each other if you scoop descent amount of similar issues, it should make your situation / case stronger. Check Copytechnet.com and Smarka.com
I am sure there are more, google "Printer tech forums" If you fed up enough with OKI, I believe you can shovel that machine back up their %^$^* and may even get compensated to calm down. They do print croppy gradients and tint the background on glossy stock...
Funny thing is that I do sell OKI used to those who wants them... And use one in my print shop ( we're copier dealer and printing company) I use it for uncoated stuff mostly, for Higher quality work I use Xerox Phaser 7760 ...

Thanks for your reply. With hindsight I could have bought a machine with a lower RRP such as a Konica Minolta MFC and received higher print quality in all areas mentioned, the fact the suppler sells other manufacturers such as Toshiba, Konica Minolta, etc...should have meant they recommend something with sellable quality. I have a feeling a £300 colour laser would produce better output in the above areas, I need to do some further investigation.

At present they have 'filed' against us as debtors, simply for not paying their service charges. They in fact voided their service contract by not maintaining the printer at an acceptable quality level, it's a simple case of legal letters back and two for now but I'm putting together a comprehensive defence should this matter progress.

Thanks again,
Andy

Man, i understand you may be frustrated but Oki is about the only machine in it's price range that can pass the paper that thick and have a straight pass that will allow you to cut the job printed without dealing with bent stock - giving the thought that it can print the job with desired quality :) . It has its points, other machines mentioned would most likely lay a better color, may thechs are better trained but those are #80 cover tops even that is if-ish....
Oki is somewhat powerful machine - I just had to change a fuser drive gears on the machine with just a little under 1 million clicks for the person who has 5 of them.... If you need a better machine with similar paper handling capabilities it is probably something like Xerox DC242 or KM c6500 or something but it is 4 times more expensive.. I understand that you were misrepresented lots of facts, the way I run my show - I'd rather tell you all pros and cons and stay friend but many big companies don't operate like that. I think you should be able to get out of that situation, have some evidence ready, bad service isn't hard to prove...

I feel for you. We used to have an OKI, which was sold to us by a company who claim that these machines are perfect for the print shop. They market their whole business on selling OKI machines to printers (we in the UK), saying they are perfect for all jobs, even claiming 330gsm business cards are no problem.

The machines are perfect for an office, but no-where near good enough for print shops. Registration on 300gsm+ is not good enough for business cards. Drums are fine for a while, but only produce good quality for about 20% of their supposed life. Gradients are poor. Coated stock does bubble. Getting consumables on the service agreement was a joke. They questioned why we were using so much toner, and why we replaced drums before the machine told us to. When you were able to get an engineer to come out (very rare), they would just say the machine is printing as they would expect and that they have never seen one in a print shop before. In the end we got the machine taken back and the finance agreement cancelled as long as we paid the clicks we had used (even though a lot were not good enough to sell). We are glad to see the back of it and now have a couple of Xerox DC's which are much better.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back