Opinions on Xerox 800 Digital Press or should we be looking at something else?

fluxcap

We are currently looking at moving up from our current Xerox 700 digital press to the larger Xerox 800. Just wanting to find out how people have found this machine and also if people decided to buy something else instead?

We want to get results as close to offset results as possible being able to run a mix of stocks, we mainly run presentation types of work.

Hey fluxcap.

What is the RIP you use on your X700?

The 800/1000 runs basically any stock you can throw at it. Even Tyvek (which is synthetic building wrap, used for garden center plant tags, marathon bibs etc)
It also runs rated speed on all weights. 55-350gsm

I guess the best question is do you have the volume to go up to the 800?

You could get a glorified copier (which frankly is what you have now) or move up to the 800. You will notice the lack of Document Feeder for scanning or copying as it's not a copier, unlike the 800 "equivalent".

I guess if the numbers stack up for your production then at least you won't need to re-train your team a whole lot on a simple upgrade. Are you wanting to move up because of volume or the end of your current contract?

Simply put, the 800/1000 series were a little buggy in the first year they came out. Mainly because they were so new and it took a bit for the techs to catchup on the technology. (that's the same in every company though)
Now there are machines doing 2 mil impressions a month.

There are a ton of enhancements on the 800/1000. Some taken from the Colotech 8000 and some from the 700DCP.

If your volume is not steadily increasing, don't but a millstone around your neck (the 800 is a great machine still) but perhaps have your sales rep give you a demo of the 770.

The 770 will fit in your price point (assuming your current FSMA & repayments you are happy with) with auto duplexing on 300gsm stocks, options to squarefold finish and also a built in spectrophotometer (which is bloody good as it keeps the color consistent).

Apart from the obvious speed and other bells and whistles on the 800, you will need to make sure the justification to the $$ increase you can support with more production going thru it to make it work for you.
If you used scanning on the 700 you will loose it on the 800 as IT IS NOT A COPIER. (unlike the alternatives)
See if the sales guy will chuck in an MFD (DCIV-C2265) on a click rate only, and scan the arse off that! :)

Anyway, let's see what comes out of the woodwork on here.
In New Zealand we have the highest concentration of the 800/1000 in the world (and were the first to get them) so we know the bugs have certainly been worked thru.

I agree with Stochastic on almost everything with the exception of looking at the 770. That is a lateral move, if you want a step up look at the 8080. We just had an install last month to replace our 8000AP and couldn't be happier. We looked at the 800/1000 and absolutely couldn't justify the price, no matter how hard they tried. Yes it is a nice machine, but I would have had to raise my prices to keep the thing running. So far we have 189,000 12x18 prints on the 8080 and only 1 service call to adjust the registration guide that wasn't square on the install.

I agree with Stochastic on almost everything with the exception of looking at the 770. That is a lateral move, if you want a step up look at the 8080. We just had an install last month to replace our 8000AP and couldn't be happier. We looked at the 800/1000 and absolutely couldn't justify the price, no matter how hard they tried. Yes it is a nice machine, but I would have had to raise my prices to keep the thing running. So far we have 189,000 12x18 prints on the 8080 and only 1 service call to adjust the registration guide that wasn't square on the install.

Thanks Craig.

I was trying to weed out the question on wether it was at the end of the contract (changing for change sake) then if fluxcap's volume warranted the move up to the 800 then go for it, if not then a feature upgrade to the 770 will give them quite a few more features for the cost. Still a massive improvement on the 700 or even the 700i.
If their volume does increase (let's say they win a big contract) then they need to work a clause in the 770 rental agreement to opt up to a 800 without the costs of cancellation of the 770.
This way they get the best of the 770 and if need be they can swap out to the 800 as production demands it.
Then again, it depends on what fluxcap really wants to do with their business.

It all depends on the local rep. If they aren't prepared to negotiate, then go above them to their manager.

Thanks for the comments gives me a bit to think about. At the moment our 700 is hitting the monthly max figures and we are starting to see techs every 2 days. seems to be requiring a complete rebuild every 6 months. We are pretty happy with machine until this happens. We were also thinking of maybe keeping this and run the 800 in tandem if the budget stretched enough.

We are using the xerox freeflow rip and preferred this over the fiery as it suited our workflow nicely. The scanner isn't an issue as we don't run any copy jobs on this or scan unless it's an emergency.

Might see if the xerox guys have the 770 to show I think they might only have the 700i and the 800 in the showroom. What is the main benefits the 770 has over the 700?

Thanks for the comments gives me a bit to think about. At the moment our 700 is hitting the monthly max figures and we are starting to see techs every 2 days. seems to be requiring a complete rebuild every 6 months. We are pretty happy with machine until this happens. We were also thinking of maybe keeping this and run the 800 in tandem if the budget stretched enough.

We are using the xerox freeflow rip and preferred this over the fiery as it suited our workflow nicely. The scanner isn't an issue as we don't run any copy jobs on this or scan unless it's an emergency.

Might see if the xerox guys have the 770 to show I think they might only have the 700i and the 800 in the showroom. What is the main benefits the 770 has over the 700?

Best to get them to get one in for you. If they are serious about your business they will. It's what we do here in NZ.

Have a read of this write up, it will explain a few things faster than I can type it and as it's from a print forum it's non-biased.

Fuji Xerox | Print21 – Print industry news and information for Australia & New Zealand

We are requesting more paper profiles to be loaded to the touch screen on the next firmware level. If you use the custom paper profiles currently on the 700 you will understand this and we are asking to quadruple the custom list from what it is now because in the real world we get lots of different papers.
Anyway, have a read thru and see what you think, being in Australia you should have no issue getting infront of one! :)

Keep us posted on your progress....

Thanks, interesting article. Will speak to our rep and let you guys know what happens and our impressions of the equipment

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back