OS X mavericks and printing are not good...

wonderings

I always test a new version of OS X on my machine before ever installing it on the rest of the machines at work. It is frustrating that with almost every major OS X update (lion, mountain lion, mavericks, etc) that it brings about printing issues. Do they change that much in OS X to effect printing? I will have to switch back to mountain lion tonight just to regain normal functionality with printing. Everything else in mavericks works fine, love the tabbed folders, etc. I am trying to print to our RIP but it is a no go now. Constantly pauses the print cue. I tried getting a new ppd from pressteks website, no change. Tried reinstalling the printers, again with no change. A very frustrating experience.

Even with our Xerox digital press (DC260) there are issues when sending larger files. I can work around that one easily at least. It is very frustrating that an update like this seems to bring about so many problems when it comes to printing. Especially since there is no real huge difference between mountain lion and mavericks that I can see. Seems like little tweaks here and there, again not sure why they would change things so much that it would effect printer drivers and such.

Rampage works fine. I was expecting a bunch of issues but it's all good, so far...

What version of Rampage are you running almaink? I'm also the guinea pig here and I'd love to see Mavericks, but I don't want to reinstall my os. Other than rampage, I don't foresee any issue for my uses.

I'm with Matt, who prints direct to a RIP nowadays. Print file, hotfolders etc.. Then again I still know people that have to place files in Quark to print to their platesetter!!. Only time I just print straight to a device is to my desktop laser printer.

AjR

Our imposing is done with a plugin in indesign, so an entire job is prepped there. I could make a pdf and drag and drop into a hot folder, but thats just some extra steps that I don't need to do because I can simply print to our rip and take it from there.

Version 12.1b8. I have a dual boot set up and I run Snow Leopard 98% of the time but I always have the latest OS on the external firewire drive just to see what still works. One thing I did se an issue with is booting back to Snow Leopard. It has hung a few times at a grey screen and i was forced to do a manual shutdown of the Mac then boot back up. Everything seems fine besides that one glitch.

...I could make a pdf and drag and drop into a hot folder, but thats just some extra steps that I don't need to do because I can simply print to our rip and take it from there.

Well, you could export your PDF directly to the hot folder, so there really wouldn't be any extra steps, but I'm not here to change how you're doing things if it works for you.

Printing=flattening, so I try to avoid it whenever possible. My RIP handles live transparency, but yours may require it to be flattened.

Before upgrading to Mavericks use Time Machine to backup your computer. Then if you don't like Mavericks you can revert back without having to reinstall.

I upgraded one of our machines to Maverick and it seems to work ok, but it seems to have some problems with fonts. I opened a couple documents that used Arial and Helvetica and they weren't displayed properly or it told me they were missing. I haven't had a chance to dig into it though.

I always have a time machine backup, and did a restore immediately. Thankfully it takes less then an hour to restore my MacBook Pro thanks to the speed of SSD and USB 3.

I installed Mavericks as a virtual machine to do some tests and see if I can figure out my problems.

@kdw75

What font program are you using that you are having issues with?

I always have a time machine backup, and did a restore immediately. Thankfully it takes less then an hour to restore my MacBook Pro thanks to the speed of SSD and USB 3.

I installed Mavericks as a virtual machine to do some tests and see if I can figure out my problems.

@kdw75

I apologize if this is a bit off the point, but how did you create the virtual machine?

I apologize if this is a bit off the point, but how did you create the virtual machine?

I use parallels. I might have done it a bit backwards, but installed Mountain Lion, then did the update to Mavericks. Its a pretty simple process with Parallels.

I have a work around that will work for me, and might even be how some of you guys are doing things anyways. In the print window, there is an option when selecting your printer to select "PostScript File". This saves to wherever you want. So for me I would just save it to the hot folder on our rip and it can take it from there. My only question now is how do I setup my computer to see the presstek ppd that I use without setting up a printer?

Before upgrading to Mavericks use Time Machine to backup your computer. Then if you don't like Mavericks you can revert back without having to reinstall.

Yep, thats really important.. I upgraded to Maverick and found out that my plugin (PItstop Pro) would not work in Adobe Acrobat.. I had to revert back to what I had.. Blessed that I had Time Machine.. I didn't have to reset up anything at all.. Excellent

I am not sure if our RIP can even handle live transparency. We have always printed to the rip. This is what we use:
Harlequin RIP Genesis Release 7.0r2

I used to run that RIP, and I believe it can handle Transparancy.. But I am not the expert so don't take my word for it ツ

@kdw75

No font management software is installed. I just opened some indesign files that used Helvetica and Ariel and it said Ariel was missing and then displayed Helvetica improperly. I shut off all my fonts and then things seemed to work again. Sounds like a conflict of some sort, buy why was it working just fine prior to the update?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back