Package function within InDesign

hkellogg

When using the package function within InDesign I had something happen that I couldn't explain.

I had a student that used the drag and drop technique, clicking on an ai. file from Illustrator and dragging it into InDesign. When the InDesign file was packaged, the vector file wasn't saved but the fonts within the vector image were.

When we used the File.Place method to put the vector (ai) file into the InDesign document, then packaged it, the ai. file was saved but not the fonts.

Why the difference?

Thanks

It sounds like the file is being linked in one instance and embedded in the other. I cannot, however, get an element to embed by dragging it onto the page; nor can I find a preference to make the application act that way.

What version of InDesign are you working with?

Did they drag the file or vector objects from illustrator?
I know some will claim they drag an illustrator file into InDesign but they drag art into indesign.
Select the object, and check is there a link? If embedded can it be unembedded? Can it be ungrouped?

With the minibridge, bridge, finder/explorer should be safer to drag-drop.

About fonts, no they are not included. They should be embedded in a PDF or EPS and InDesign does not add fonts that are used in placed graphics. (That fonts used in InDesign are packed is more out of convenience, since it is, as you are reminded in a dialogue, not conforming to font licensing)

A links embedded fonts are not needed externally in the package, the source files will need the fonts to be edited! You can view an AI file (newer versions of AI) in Acrobat by renaming the AI to PDF if you want to view it with the embedded fonts.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back