PDF/X-4 vs. Pressready pdf

An overview of basic PDF/X info here:

Adobe Community: What is PDF/x-4?
PDF/X-4 PDF Preset in InDesign CS3 | InDesignSecrets

If I recall correctly, "Press Quality" is an older Adobe preset that was around before the "X" standards were introduced. Is this the same type of PDF that you are referring to? Or is "pressready pdf" a generic term?

By editing PDF presets in Acrobat Distiller or InDesign one can see the differences in how the PDF is created.

As for which is more common, I can't say and it may depend on your geographical location. I would guess that PDF/X standard compliant PDF files are less common than they should be.

Stephen Marsh

Going from memory (I guess I tossed the Pressready preset) the main differences are that PDF/X-4 requires an output intent, requires that fonts be embedded, and sets the compatibility to PDF 1.6 because transparency is allowed. Everything else can be adjusted by the user.

PDF/X-4 doesn't seem to be all that "popular", yet, but I recommend it. Having an output intent and live transparency can be very useful to those in prepress.

Something that I strongly dislike about the Pressready preset is that it uses JPEG compression, which I council against for print. I don't advise using JPEG2000 or Run Length, either, because of a lack of support in RIPs. ZIP, LZW, and CCITT are all safe choices, in my experience.

Going from memory (I guess I tossed the Pressready preset) the main differences are that PDF/X-4 requires an output intent, requires that fonts be embedded, and sets the compatibility to PDF 1.6 because transparency is allowed. Everything else can be adjusted by the user.

PDF/X-4 doesn't seem to be all that "popular", yet, but I recommend it. Having an output intent and live transparency can be very useful to those in prepress.

Something that I strongly dislike about the Pressready preset is that it uses JPEG compression, which I council against for print. I don't advise using JPEG2000 or Run Length, either, because of a lack of support in RIPs. ZIP, LZW, and CCITT are all safe choices, in my experience.
I used to be against JPEG as well, but several years ago (after reading Gordo's tests), I started using it (Max quality though) and have had no problems.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back