Postcard Addressing Printer

Squid57

Hi,

I would like to get some input on addressing postcards. We currently send out about 50M postcards a month. What brand of address printers are you currently using that run and feed well for this amount of volume? The stock is 100 lb. offset and 16 pt. dull coated. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Will you be sending these to uv after addressing?

We have been printing them digital for a couple of years with no problems going through the mail. So if I can find a address printer that would not need UV coating I would rather go that way.

You print the postcards or the addresses digital? If the postcard is being printed digital why not address them in the same pass?

You print the postcards or the addresses digital? If the postcard is being printed digital why not address them in the same pass?

We print them 9 up on a 12 x 18 and some are supplied as 4 x 6. So keeping them is order through cutting could be a problem.

We print them 9 up on a 12 x 18 and some are supplied as 4 x 6. So keeping them is order through cutting could be a problem.

What printer are you running these on?

What we do for long runs like this is create files that are as large as a lift on our cutter. So lets just say that means 500 sheets, we will create a cut and stack file of 4,500 records. We print, cut, and tray. That would be your best option, how to handle the postcards that come to you as 4x6" already would depend on your equipment. I know my 800 can print onto 4x6" postcards.

If the above is not an option I don't know of many inkjetting or inkjet substitute systems that would be very cost effective for 50m postcards a month. A black ink laser printer like an Oki would probably cost around 2 pennies a copy, plus the speed/tray capacity and other pain in the ass factors to consider. If you went with a Rena your speed would increase but the cost would probably be about the same.

Since we are a digital shop we have an inkjetter for certain projects but I'm not aware of all the latest technologies, maybe I am overlooking an inkjetter that will stick to coated stock without smudging.

What printer are you running these on?

What we do for long runs like this is create files that are as large as a lift on our cutter. So lets just say that means 500 sheets, we will create a cut and stack file of 4,500 records. We print, cut, and tray. That would be your best option, how to handle the postcards that come to you as 4x6" already would depend on your equipment. I know my 800 can print onto 4x6" postcards.

If the above is not an option I don't know of many inkjetting or inkjet substitute systems that would be very cost effective for 50m postcards a month. A black ink laser printer like an Oki would probably cost around 2 pennies a copy, plus the speed/tray capacity and other pain in the ass factors to consider. If you went with a Rena your speed would increase but the cost would probably be about the same.

Since we are a digital shop we have an inkjetter for certain projects but I'm not aware of all the latest technologies, maybe I am overlooking an inkjetter that will stick to coated stock without smudging.

Yes, we have Konica and Xerox all with Fiery's. I would have to see if any of these could run the 16 pt. card well enough to use. As for the 9 up sheets what software do you use for addressing and impo.?

For software we use either XMPie or Fusion Pro. Fusion Pro is fairly inexpensive to get started with, it is not as responsive or robust as XMPie but it would be more then enough to do what you are asking.

For software we use either XMPie or Fusion Pro. Fusion Pro is fairly inexpensive to get started with, it is not as responsive or robust as XMPie but it would be more then enough to do what you are asking.

Thank you for your help! I'll look into Fusion Pro.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back