Printing digital or offset?

Tomislav

We bought one xerox 5112 and after one year, price per printed sheet was double and we accepted. After second year was again five times more and we closed the contract. They have done trials and offered the price for maintenance. Explanation was that we are using to heavy paper often.

Now we have this machine for sale.

After developing precise colour presentation with digital press we bought KM 7000. We printed with stohastic mathematics. Print was perfect, but yellow dots of around 50 microns appeared and it was not specified during sales process.

Calling to technical support of Konica Minolta resulted in simple answer:

This is to avoid you to print banknotes.

Hello!

We are intending to use the press inside the specification. And specification is not that the press will print yellow big dots on purpose.

Miltonia doo
Tomislav Jurlin, dipl. ing.

Last edited:
Btw, we have two Heidelberg offset presses. No yellow dots if we dont want them. Can we print banknotes? Probably. Can we print our normal job task. Yes.

Can we do it with KM? No, we cannot. Yellow dots are disgracing the print.

Thanks gordo.

We have also Mimaki UV ink jet. No dots. This unit is doing a job properly and within specification. We dont have a problem with watermark of whatever type which is not disgrace our work. But yellow dots on KM unit are visible with normal human eye if printing with several advanced setups on Fiery and a very specific design.

They have to state this in their sales materials.

We found a way to omit printing yellow dots. To print with this machine B/W..

Last edited:
Good luck with the Federal Government.

Seeing Yellow

Also note (no pun intended) that Photoshop has an algorithm in it that is intended to deny one working on an image that appears to be a bank note.

End users did not ask for these security measures when buying their hardware or software, however they are there, usually as the manufacturer is being civic minded :]

Stephen Marsh

Good luck with the Federal Government.

Seeing Yellow

Also note (no pun intended) that Photoshop has an algorithm in it that is intended to deny one working on an image that appears to be a bank note.

End users did not ask for these security measures when buying their hardware or software, however they are there, usually as the manufacturer is being civic minded :]

Stephen Marsh

So not only do we have an bloated government that buries us with rules and regulations, but we have businesses that are trying too hard to appease the bureaucrats. Like the peasants hoping to win the favor of the king, very disgusting.

Pitty. KM 7000 is excelent machine if will do what we order it to do. Try to print simple shape of very light yellow shade with default setup. It looks porous. It looks spongy. Change setup to Fm stochastic or change the dot to minimal one. Print is perfect in both cases, but with disgracing yellow dots which are far bigger then the rest of print. If you print the same pdf within several hours you will have dE of more than 1.5. Because yellow dots will not be in the same position.
Suppose you agree with customer dE of 1.3 within production batch. In our industry, this is normal.
If printing offset... You can blame worker. But he will not fail. But if you are printing digital whom to blame?

Maybe blame yourself? I hate to be a jerk, but those yellow dots would have been included on any sample sheets you used to test the printer before you bought it.

You aren't going to be able to buy any digital machine they are all required to have the yellow dots.

sometimes I think people blow stuff way out of proportion, like in this case.

Since jumping into the digital printing pool, we've printed well over a quarter million jobs (30-50 million clicks) and not a single complaint about the yellow dots.

Just had a good look at the prints of my Xante Ilumina, and it has them as well!... Never noticed them until now.
I can't see how these almost invisible dots could ruin the print work... either you have hawkeye vision, or your printer prints them way too thick.

Maybe blame yourself? I hate to be a jerk, but those yellow dots would have been included on any sample sheets you used to test the printer before you bought it.

For sure. If you print with default setup yellow dots are there. But if you do advanced setup. Then disaster.

Yes, blame on myself. Because I am honest and have honest business. Wtf. Their prints was on default setup. Anyhow this is cheating.

Not all of them - Indigos don't have them, Xeikons too if I recall correctly, as well as inkjet printers. EFF has a list of printers known to use yellow dot patterns.

Not all of them - Indigos don't have them, Xeikons too if I recall correctly, as well as inkjet printers. EFF has a list of printers known to use yellow dot patterns.

Will the Landa Nanograph press be required to have the yellows dot or some other form of ID? To protect paper currency I think it should be required.

Hi Green Printer,

Sorry for being late - I didn't know the answer so I forwarded the question to management. The response I got was: "We will continue to study the issue and decide at a later date."

So there you go...

Will the Landa Nanograph press be required to have the yellows dot or some other form of ID? To protect paper currency I think it should be required.

Or perhaps one may take the view that paper currency is outdated and move to polymer printed currency that can have more multiple/redundant security measures than is possible with paper.

Stephen Marsh

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back