Printing on Linen stocks

mbsharp

We have two Komori SP's and have recently been trying to print book covers on a Linen stock. I beleive it's called Linen Set. The paper thickness is .20mm but in order to make it look decent at all we have to squeeze it down to as low as .04mm. My questions are; Is this normal? Where we have impression cylinder jackets are we taking a risk of damaging them? Do you have any advice on this issue? Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

The Answer

The Answer

Ask your ink supplier to provide you with a weaker version, say perhaps 20-30% in color strength depending if it's spot color or process build. This formulary action will require you to lay down a thicker film to fill all those nooks and cranies that are inherent to the Linen substrate. Additionally D Ink Man can also provide an ink with more opacity which will act as a hiding tool to give the print appearance a smoother look via reduction of visual reflectance and reduction of transparency. Also slightly softening the ink viscosity and/or tack will provide a better mechanism for the ink film to seep into the uneven linen surface. Of course, these recommendations will have certain limitations depending upon the print form coverage and again, if we are referring to process build or single color spot. Hope it helps. D

And the Answer IS !!!

And the Answer IS !!!

Hello mbsharp, the real answer is use a "Conventional Blanket" instead of a Compressible Blanket, a Conventional Blanket will flow better into the "Contours of the Paper"

Regards, Alois

Reply !! - with my Verdict.

Reply !! - with my Verdict.

Hello D. Ink Man,

I have decided to be lenient on this occasion, so the Banishment to the "Solnhofen Limestone Quarries" is rescind.

Regards, Alois

But I want to go there Alois

But I want to go there Alois

The Solnhofen Limestone Quarries are a peaceful place with no Linen napkins on the table. Just wipe your mouth with your blanket, but be warned, the blankets are stiff with no give. Sweet Dreams. Alas! D

Your Wish

Your Wish

Hello D. Ink Man,

Any more "Saga's " like the PANTONE one - and your wish will come true !!!!!!

Regards, Alois

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back