Proofer 'fingerprint'

yk_chin86

Hi,
i am new to the industries (experience at 6 months) and currently given task by the management to establish a color management practices in our customer. We are using Kodak ColorFlow for our color management and the standard that we set to follow is ISO12647-2.

As i understand, in order to ensure good color management (monitor, contract proof and press should produce the same color), we has to 'know' our current equipment state and apply relevant profile to it.

We start it off with obtaining fingerprint for our press. Data obtain was used to making a curve according to ISO 12647 standard which we manage to do it well by using a test form (measuring TVI).

However, i not really know how to get the 'fingerprint' of our proofer. It is the same procedure as the press? We dont has any test form for proofer. What should i do?

Kindly advise

As i understand, in order to ensure good color management (monitor, contract proof and press should produce the same color), we has to 'know' our current equipment state and apply relevant profile to it.

Not exactly right. Or at least not the right way of looking at it.

What you have to do is get each element of your workflow into its best state (or at least the state you wish it to be in) then profile it in that state. Usually with monitors and proofers that means making an ICC profile--not the same process as fingerprinting a press--of each in the condition in which you intend to use them. In other words, there aren't any truly accurate "relevant" profiles you can apply until you make them--or have them made. Once you have them profiled, you can then tell them to emulate your printer.

Mike Adams
Correct Color

I would recommend your proofer simulating ISO Coated/uncoated, and then align your press to ISO coated/uncoated. That way your proof will be valid for on and offsite jobs. Since the press is also brought in line with standard all will converge.

For proofer you normally do a profile an then simulate your target, ISO Coated/uncoated. Usually you will first have a linearisation, and then create profiles. Multi colour printers have also ink splitting tables, but best ask those who delivered the equipment.

To test the proofer,actually no need a certain fingerprint,but need the proof software.Color flow is somekind of devicelink way to do the color management for each press,but help little in proof.Do you have any proof system like GMG and EFI?
Both software have the function to certified whether through ISO specification.
You also can print a Altona suit to test your proof from visual match.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back