Re-filling Xante Ilumina toner bottles

lesnik

Has anyone had experience re-filling Ilumina toner bottles? Seems much cheaper, but wonder if the quality remains the same.

Hai

In Ilumina Toner catridges are not refillable . It had RFID tag and levels of toner in each catridge is writing .
If you refilled the toner catridges ,the toner itself it cannot detect and it simply not comes to
READY.

We installed morethan 50 machines in UAE . somebody tried ,but it doesnt work .

you need to purchase original toners and use it.

with regards

Skumar

Hi Skumar,
Do you mean "smart-chip" saying RFID?
Did anybody try SmartChip Resetter? (lesnik - that's my idea for you)

About a month ago we ordered a refill bottle of black toner from Laser Tek Services on Amazon. It came with a reset chip, so the machine reads it as a brand new cartridge. So for everything has been working great and we are about to order a 4 pack of the refill bottles. Be sure to take note that it says you should only refill the same cartridge 2-3 times.

Be sure to take note that it says you should only refill the same cartridge 2-3 times.
That is quite strange to hear. Basically Xante Illumina is an equal to OKI C9600 printer (actually being produced on the OKI factories). And as such, this machine has the same type of toner cartridges - separated from drums (the only difference is the RFID smart-chips and color keys positions). And toner cartridges are just plastic boxes with basically nothing inside apart of the toner itself and therefore there can't be any limiter that would define the maximum refill rate. I have a customer who have refilled OKI toners for more than 100 times so far. Not going to stop though... Note that drums are not that long lasting. Their life is "just" 30k pages, which can be easily extended up to 60-70k (if you use normal office paper but not a cardstock), but then you'll have to buy the new ones. Which is not a big deal again as each one is around 130-140$. By the way - OKI drums are cheaper that Xante ones! So make sure you are not paying more than you should! ;)

You are right about the toner cartridges, I thought about it after posting. And OKI drums work in the Ilumina? How much do those run?

And OKI drums work in the Ilumina?
Yes, OKI C9600/9650/9800/9850 drums are the same. The only difference is a color code keys. They sit in a different positions for OKI and for Xante. You can have a look at the picture of these keys:
drum_Pins.jpg

(it says "pins" in russian on the image). There is the other type of OKI drum, but idea is just the same.
How much do those run?
I have pointed that out: 30 000 pages as a quoted life working on 80gsm paper, can be extended up to 60-70 000 pages by replacing the fuse inside the drum cartridge.

Does having different positions of color code key affect anything when you put them in an Ilumina?
Yes. If nothing done beforehand, the machine will display "Toner sensor Error or Image Drum not installed" error message. These pins define the precise position of the drums within the printer which is essential for the toner sensor performance: if the drum is not in the precise place, then toner sensor reflector will not be straight against the optical pair thus failing to reflect the light properly and causing the error above. The resolution for this problem is to remove the plastic items which concatenates with these pins from the machine for every drum. This will enable to use both Xante and OKI drums without limitations. And also Xerox Phaser 7400 drums since they are of the same type and manufacturer.

Last edited:
Hi, I can say to you, refill is more cheaper than new, but the quality is not the same, under my personal experience don´t work to give high quality.

I run a small publishing house in the UK and we have been refilling our Xante Ilumina cartridges for some time. we use these guys and the refill is very easy - as is shown by their video. Just be careful when you refill as toner is dust and can be a little messy if your not careful..

Xante Ilumina Toner Refill Video

Last edited:
Angela007, What is it costing you to refill your cartridges. I tried the website that you provided and could not get it to work. How is the quality?

Angela007, What is it costing you to refill your cartridges. I tried the website that you provided and could not get it to work. How is the quality?

I havent had any issues - more than happy with the quality. the costs is on the page - we are in the UK so we have to pay VAT on top @ 17.5%

did you look at the page ?

Xante Ilumina Rainbow Value Pack

this works out to be the cheapest though they do sell them seperatley.

Last edited:
Have refilled our cartridges a couple of times with toner from Laser Tek Services. You have to also buy the reset chip. I have found that the colored toner works well, but the black does not completely adhere to the sheet and leaves background scatter. I have decided to buy the genuine stuff for the black as the price is not enough of a difference to put up with the headache.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back