RIP problems with fake small caps in ID?

Gregg

Has anyone had any RIP/Print issues with fake small caps used in InDesign (any version)?

Years ago (in CS4) we received a digital proof in which all of the fake small caps had been substituted out for a different font. Since then we have always encouraged our designers not to use the fake small caps feature in InDesign, but that is not always possible to do, and I am wondering if it is even a policy we should continue to enforce, thinking that maybe the bunk proof we got years ago was an isolated incident.

Anyone else ever have or currently dealing with issues due to using fake small caps in InDesign?

Thanks in advance.

From a typographic viewpoint, fake small caps are often horrible and are a poor substitute for a true small caps font that has optically correct thickness.

From a RIP viewpoint, I am not aware of this as an issue for an Adobe CPSI or APPE RIP, however there are many different RIPs out there using different rendering technology and many ways to write PostScript code or PDF files etc… So anything could be possible!

Stephen Marsh

From a typographic viewpoint, fake small caps are often horrible and are a poor substitute for a true small caps font that has optically correct thickness.

Totally agree, and it's not often that we use them. Thanks for your response.

I've seen problems with fake small caps that manifest when allowing ID to automatically load fonts using the "Document fonts" folder sitting next to the document. Move the folder so it can't load them automatically, then load the fonts thru a font manager and it fixed the issue.

The problem became evident when looking at the PDF.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back