Screen PTR and Azura TS

tomcatinc

Company I work for had Presstek Dimension 800 and Dimension Excel 425 in last five years. Plates that were used are Presstek Anthem and Anthem Pro in the beginning and later on Azura and Azura TS.
Presstek is sold and in next few days we are going to get used Screen PTR 4100. Since it will be installed by a technician that will not setup the Azura TS plate (that is the deal and I can not change it) and I have read the Screen PTR user manual, can anybody help with recommended parameters for imaging Azura TS? Since there are two variables (power and RPM) that would produce infinite number of combinations, it would be nice to have a start.
It would be easy to calibrate the output as soon as the plate would become stable at imaging, of course.
Thank you in advance!

if you contact your agfa supplier they should be able to give you the relevant parameters. And if you talk to them really nicely, they may even send somebody in to set it up for you!

Screen PTR and Azura TS

I highly doubt that, since our Agfa plate supplier is just dealer, selling plates and paper and inks and other printing chemicals.
Other supplier did not contact us after inquiry.
I tried to contact Agfa through web site and still no response.
Therefore I'm forced to seek another solution.
Thanks!

First, congrats on getting rid of Presstek. We dumped our Dimension 800 for an Agfa Avalon (really a Screen 8600) in January and are loving life after a challenging 5 years with the Presstek setup.

I'll check out my setup on Monday and see if I can figure out what RPM and what power settings I'm at.

I'd be surprised if your plate supplier can't help you out or get you in touch with someone who can. Their business depends on your success in getting the plates set up correctly. You might also want to contact Screen to see if they have a recommended starting point for the Azura plate.

SteveAgfa - any advice here for your plate customer?

TomCat:

If you are located in the US/Canada - call 1-800-TRY-AGFA and they'll get you going in the right direction.

If you are located outside of the US/Canada, please PM me with your coordinates, and I'll forward the request the right direction.

Regards,

TomCat, I poked around on my machine and can't find the info. A lot of the maintenance screens are password-protected.

Screen CTP and Azura Plates

Screen CTP and Azura Plates

You must first run a focus test, that is very important.

Then run a speed sweep. On the TS plates they are faster than the older Azura Plates but not as fast as standard chemical plates. I start at 500 RPM at 95% power. Increment up by 50 RPM. You might find you are around 650 rpm...look for the 50% dot to be 50% and the focus triangles to be clearly defined, the 5% and 95% dots as well. You must trade off speed for longevity of image on press, the slower you image to harder the emulsion will be but the longer you will be standing around (like the TSA) waiting for plates, if you are a short run shop you can speed it up. You may have to tweak it later.

You will need to check dot lineralization. It should be close, within 2%.

I run the sweep test plate right on the press on the black cylinder, on the faster strips you might notice motley looking patches where parts of the dots are coming off the plate, pick the cleanest looking strip for your speed.

Good luck

Talk to Fuji

Talk to Fuji

I would talk to a Fuji rep; they are all trained on the screen units, and they have a fully processless plate, the Ecomaxx T and an LH-PJ which can use a smaller 68z processor.Either is a great option, and you'll get real service and great products on top of it!

Rick:

Thank you for your suggestion.

The customer is located near the Balkans;
I've alerted our HQ about the communication lapse.

Final result: machine is installed on Tuesday and running some 200 plates so far. The instruction given in this thread by spectrecom were followed and we received excellent results. We use 85% power and 700 RPM. The plates are used for up to 10 000 prints so far and there are no complaints.
For Steve: nobody from Agfa importers, distributors or any other Agfa authority contacted us. And it does not matter since machine is working and we are happy.
Thanks a lot to all for good will and effort!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back