Seeking recommendations

D

darrel45

I am looking for advice on what type of equipment to lease. I am new to the printing business. I publish three monthly magazines that are 8.5 x 11, full color, full bleed and saddle stiched. We print quantities that equal 600,000 clicks on a printer. Currently I use a printer in Michigan (the least expensive I would find) and I am located in Texas.

My intention is to find a piece or pieces of equipment so we can print our magazines ourselves, better contol the copies and allow us to offer other services to customers. We have been in business for 13 years and have always used an outside printer.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Again I am a novice, so do not understand all the tech terms, although we have a graphics artist that worked for a printer for some years and she has a good understanding of the process.

600,000 prints a month on a digital device is not impossible but you're going to have to get a top tier machine.

If you're looking into a single machine solution look into a Xerox iGen4 (iGen3's are cheap right now!) an HP Indigo (stay away from the old ones!) or a Kodak Nexpress.

But if you want to go the cheap route get a bunch of little devices and work them to death.

Either way your biggest challenge will be getting a good operator that can keep things running!

if your magazine is static at 600k prints a month (once a month), probably you are better off by outsourcing it. A Digital Press could do it, but the cost might be much higher.

If you are trying to personalize your magazine, print shorter runs, change it every other day/week, customize it, get a faster turnaround, then digital might be the answer.

Take a look at Production Equipment for Digital Printing : Xerox for starters.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back