Slectset 7000 / RIP options? (Highwater died)

We were running a Highwater PCI card HW776 and Torrent RIP ... but the old computer died, and I am unable to revive it (not for want of trying!)

Our Plan B is to keep our Selectset 7000 and replace the hardware/software that sends images to it. We have a workstation that will run WinXP through Win 7/8; we just need a new interface card that will bridge the workstation to the Agfa.

WHAT ARE OUR OPTIONS?

I see, for example, Xitron Navigator ...
supposedly it, runs under Win7 and drives a Selectset 7000.

I am about to go on a hunt myself, but I thought I'd ask here, having previously got such quick & thorough answers from this awesome forum. Thanks in advance!

You haven't given any information on what version of the rip you are running. Assuming that it is an older version, your best bet would be Xitron. Xitron supports the Torrent rip and can give you a discount on an upgrade. Otherwise search the internet for a older computer running the same OS as you were using.

Before you go forward, you might want to ask yourself if it's worth putting in a several thousand dollar investment on such an old imagesetter.

what version of the rip you are running.
It probably 5.5. I have installer disks for 5.3, 5.4, 5.5, and some earlier 1999 and 2000 releases also.

ask yourself if it's worth putting in a several thousand dollar investment on such an old imagesetter.
Yeh, that's the big question. Plan A was to keep running the Highwater on a new workstation, if we can get it working. Plan B is the few-thousand dollars for a new RIP. Replacing the imagesetter is an order of magnitude more expensive ... definitely Plan C, a dream for the operator (me) but not for the people who have to inve$t in it (my bosses).

That version would definitely require both a software and dongle update to run on modern operating systems. The also would be install cost.

We were running a Highwater PCI card HW776 and Torrent RIP ... but the old computer died, and I am unable to revive it (not for want of trying!)

Our Plan B is to keep our Selectset 7000 and replace the hardware/software that sends images to it. We have a workstation that will run WinXP through Win 7/8; we just need a new interface card that will bridge the workstation to the Agfa.

WHAT ARE OUR OPTIONS?

I am about to go on a hunt myself, but I thought I'd ask here, having previously got such quick & thorough answers from this awesome forum. Thanks in advance!

I think the best and inexpensive option close to your RIP configuration and HW-776(not available widely) is
Screen HQ-RIP 510 V 6.2+T2000 Interface card, Installation and Operation Manual+Dongle and Cables. It works very well with all Agfa and Screen Image setters. If you need more information, contact me [email protected].

Attachments

• Screen HQ-510PC.jpg
    Screen HQ-510PC.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 287
Hi,

Do you know if the card is still running? is it seen in device manager in windows ok? If so an option you have could be to use the StudioRIP.

This has built in support for the Highwater cards for Agfa, and can drive Agfa units via, Ethersetter boxes as well (an interface which is connected via network not USB/PCI) It also has advantage of being very flexible, can drive most CTP, Screen etc, and TIFF devices, should you upgrade your engine, has advance trapping, built in imposition etc, as well as support for high speed high quality Inkjet CTF/CTP

It may be a possible solution for you, there is demo version which is not time limited which you can download : StudioRIP. If you have any technical questions, feel free to PM me.

Regards,

Rolf
StudioRIP

WHAT ARE OUR OPTIONS?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back