So....Why should I Buy a KM8000 over a Xerox 1000? (or vice versa)

Stochastic

Just thought I would throw this discussion out there....we have a print shop running a Xerox and Canon and want to get two machines, preferably the same. i.e two 1000's or 2 C8000.

Really, what would suit the best? $$ not such an issue as we have volume to warrant it.

Just would like the pros and cons reall..............

Interesting, why have you changed your profile from working for Xerox to amazingly now owning a publishing company? Quite sad, more sales rep BS! ala Xerox. Are you going to reply to yourself bagging the 8000 over the 1000?

Last edited:
People can leave their jobs cant they??
Besides if I were to bag any machine, and it's not my style sorry, I'll leave that up to you to do as you seem to have a good track record of that.

Never-the-less, good healthy debate is constructive.

People can leave their jobs cant they??
Besides if I were to bag any machine, and it's not my style sorry, I'll leave that up to you to do as you seem to have a good track record of that.

Never-the-less, good healthy debate is constructive.

Well a tip toe thru your post history finds you relatively polarised. Contemplating an 8000 either means someone else with sense is holding the chequebook or your being completely deceitful in a vane attempt to steer a 8000 slagging match.

For the record, you would buy a 8000 over a 1000 as it has innovations not seen before in a digital machine. The 1000 offers nothing that hasn't been seen before i.e clear toner (canon), belt fuser (KM), seamless transfer belt (KM) etc etc. So if want something that is faster than what you have, go for the 1000. If you want something that will set you apart go for the 8000. Also finishing options are still unmatched.

Last edited:
Both machines were presented in Europe at ipex in Birmingham, and despite the big hype behind the new Xerox 1000, and the small claim of the KM 8000 (probably due to the low level approach they use), the big news are for Konica Minolta.

Product is an all new machine which spots real 1.200 x 1.200 dpi resolution 8 bit color depth.

More the hardware is a real speedy engine with little slow down on heavy stocks, which are now up to 350 gr/m2.

New drawers with air feed system are a joy for typographers using heavy or very light stocks.

Then a unique decurler system has been implemented for the first time, which is able to re-humidify stocks after print.

Street price would be a plus too, I expect to be at least 40% less than Xerox 1000. I also bet that KM dealers can offer CPC based on sheet size, allowing you to print in letter size without wasting money.

Just a word on Xerox machine. It seems a BIG 700, and I don't see the need for a clear toner, as it is NOT a spot varnishing!

Any Real Customer Installation yet?

Any Real Customer Installation yet?

Haven't heard of any eventual customer installation yet.
Is the product really ultimate?

Regards,

AF

Well a tip toe thru your post history finds you relatively polarised. Contemplating an 8000 either means someone else with sense is holding the chequebook or your being completely deceitful in a vane attempt to steer a 8000 slagging match.

For the record, you would by a 8000 over a 1000 as it has innovations not seen before in a digital machine. The 1000 offers nothing that hasn't been seen before i.e clear toner (canon), belt fuser (KM), seamless transfer belt (KM) etc etc. So if want something that is faster than what you have, go for the 1000. If you want something that will set you apart go for the 8000. Also finishing options are still unmatched.

Uber, is this what they call cyberstalking?

Regards,

AF

Today I heard that the October release date (in Australia) will likely be around Christmas time or early January.

Regards,

AF

I was going to ask about the same. Is the product "officially" launched/released yet? Can a customer take delivery?

It has been in the talks for a looong time.

For the record, you would by a 8000 over a 1000 as it has innovations not seen before in a digital machine. The 1000 offers nothing that hasn't been seen before i.e clear toner (canon), belt fuser (KM), seamless transfer belt (KM) etc etc. So if want something that is faster than what you have, go for the 1000. If you want something that will set you apart go for the 8000. Also finishing options are still unmatched.

could you please elaborate on what are these "innovations" and those finishing options that can't be matched?

one of the "innovations" I've seen is that the operator needs to fill out a reservoir with water inside the machine to cool it down. That's new.

Finishing options unmatched. Lets see...

Ricoh C900

Spiral
Punch
Squareback Booklet Maker up to 120 pages (copier speak)
Saddle Stitch - up to 120 pages
UV Inline Coater
Perfect Binder - up to 200 sheets
5 different inline folding options (Z-Fold etc.)
Document Stitching Choice of Multiple Locations - upper left hand corner, Center, Lower Right etc.

All Inline.

This thread is funny! Who said the printing trade had lost it's sense of humour?

@Stochastic - you got busted, when you're in a hole, stop digging!

@X33 - don't you know anything ;) the water is for making Japanese tea, not for cooling the machine! Tea bags are now a consumable that you order with the toner.

Seriously though, it's kind of difficult to have a rehumidifier without any water (why not just plumb it in though?).

I've been told first customer ships in the UK are Jan 2011 and this seems firm, not the guesstimates that were being given previously.

Not sure what my incentive is to be at the bleeding edge, so I think I'll wait for some of you adventurous types to knock the rough edges off before I start buying any.

Last edited:
Finishing options unmatched. Lets see...

Ricoh C900

Spiral Yep, exchangeble die
Punch 2 and 4
Squareback Booklet Maker up to 120 pages (copier speak) Technically this is not made by ricoh it is a plockmatic dressed up to look like a ricoh, which my clients use in conjunction with our equipment.
Saddle Stitch - up to 120 pages 200 Pages
UV Inline Coater Seems to be missing from the brochure
Perfect Binder - up to 200 sheets 30mm
5 different inline folding options (Z-Fold etc.) 6 different folds
Document Stitching Choice of Multiple Locations - upper left hand corner, Center, Lower Right etc. Any machine can do that!

All Inline.

could you please elaborate on what are these "innovations" and those finishing options that can't be matched?

one of the "innovations" I've seen is that the operator needs to fill out a reservoir with water inside the machine to cool it down. That's new.

"To cool the machine down" ha ha your funny.

Last edited:
"To cool the machine down" ha ha your funny."

Actually, when I first heard about this whole "humidification" business I thought it was a bunch of crap. I got a chance to see the system in action in Ramsey, and it's quite impressive. You can make fun of it all you want...it works.

Ahh fantastic! It's been a while since a good ol' fashioned KM Vs Xerox battle.

...Anyway, all those inline finishing options sound fantastic, I'll have them all! I guess since these are production machines they all do full bleed finishing now?

I a changeable die bad ?

Why is it bad that Plockmatic makes the booklet maker ? I know Xerox sells it too.

Do any of the print shop guys here care about inline finishing options ? I mostly see those being used by in house print shops but the independent shops I go to mostly send out or have off line stuff.

I guess if you have the inline perfect binder it would be full bleed :)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back