Test your Color IQ

One thing the online test lacks is a good explanation of how the test is scored. I administered this test to all our employees and some were freaked out about seemingly high scores when they only misplaced a low number of patches. Here's a little background on how the Munsell Farnsworth Hue test is scored...

The number given as your score is not the number of colors out of position, but is a bit more complex than that. After all, you could have two immediately adjacent colors inverted, or two colors from opposite ends of the row inverted, with the latter being a more significant error than the first. Each color is assigned a number representing the order it should be placed (1, 2, 3, 4, ect). The score for a given color is the sum of the difference between it's number and the number of the two adjacent colors.

Cap Score (a(n)) = |a(n+1) - a(n)| + |a(n) - a(n-1)|
where a(n) is the number of the cap at position n in the sequence.

An example of a incorrectly ordered row:

Color Sequence:
10, 11, 12, 16, 15, 13, 14
Score:
x, 2, 5, 5, 3, 3, x

How Derived:
(1+1) (1+4) (4+1) (1+2) (2+1)

The minimum value for each correctly ordered color is 2. Then each row is scored by subtracting 2 times the number of colors in the row (equating a zero for a perfect row), and the total score is the sum of all 4 row scores. The number itself isn't as important as further analysis of the results, which the online version of this test gives in a graph.

To make is simpler, if you make one mistake, you score will be 3 or 4, and if you invert just 2 adjacent colors in each row (basically 1 mistake per row) your score will be 16. This isn't necessarily a bad score, but if the errors were all contained to one row, it would indicate considerable difficulty discerning between the particular hues in that row, and you might consider getting an MRI. ;)

Last edited:
I did it as a warmup with a class I was teaching, n w family, it's as good as any computer game, just one more try and i will get it perfect score ;P
Score depends on how tired I am, and what computer I'm at, keeping it 0-10.

I gotta' 3. Looks like all my errors are in the same area - purplyish range. When I did a Farnsworth Munsell color discrimination test my errors piled up in the green - blue range.

ooooOOOOooooo.

Now everybody in our shop is trying it. We had a pressman get a 0. Oddly, it seems people are scoring better on the Production Manager's crappy, uncalibrated, Windows-driven LCD monitor.

Bad monitors could be an advantage as tones band when they should be similar. To be fair let them all use the same monitor, and equal amounts of time. Pressmen should have an easier job as they are comparing colurs all the time.

At last I can prove it!

At last I can prove it!

So whenever they ask me what I think of the proof or the color match I usually preface with "you know my color eye died decades ago!" Vindicated at last.

Color IQ

Color IQ

I did this test a while ago but not telling anybody what I scored. At least it wasn't 29!! I'm putting it down to poor viewing conditions and a shaky hand on the mouse.

On trying for a better score I can't seem to find the web page and no, I'm not completely blind... yet.

Is it still 'live'.

Mark

Got a seven on my calibrated EISO 2411,i had a higher estimation of my color discrimination ability than i seem to really have...

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back