Tips before meeting agents

Gabloo

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for all of the advices and supports from last two posts. We managed to purchased a few basic machines. Now, we are moving to next stage. We are going to give a visit to agent from different vendors for copiers. I am wondering if you guys can give me tips on what i should be asking or comparing from one vendor to the others.

Thanks for your time,
gabloo

gabloo,

Let's start with what you're looking for; that will help define the type(s) of questions to ask.

Mark H

We are looking to lease color, BW and large format digital machines which must able to print from PC or Mac.

We are looking to lease color, BW and large format digital machines which must able to print from PC or Mac.

Gabloo,

You're just touching the surface, there's lots of stuff here you're missing that needs to be answered BEFORE you sit down with a salesman. Otherwise, you're going to end up buying what they are overstocked on and not necessarily what you need to get the job done.

Here are a few questions for you to consider...

Do you have a feeling for substrate types, minimum and maximum sizes, anything special (like needing to do envelopes). You really need to understand what you need for today as well as the life of the machine (or lease if you go that route).

As for large format - what maximum width and length (for each of the machines)? And are you printing onto rigid, sheet, or roll substrate?

Do you need UV coating?

What about cutting, jogging, binding, packaging machines? Anything pre or post press?

Will you be buying or leasing? and what's your budget?

What's your time frame on making a decision?

How about production space and work flow - will your floor handle the equipment? Do you have the power to handle the equipment?

Manpower - do your people know how to work all this equipment? If not, will the vendor train?

Mark H

Hello Mark,

Since we just started we are looking to lease machine that can do basic. Those machines require to print on at least 110 lb card stock from 4x6 up to 11x17 except large format machine. If they can print on envelope that would be great but it will cost a bit more to us correct? We expect all the machine to be PC or Mac compatible. If the price is reasonable, we would like more finishing service, such as booklet printing, etc. We are planning to get good quality copier with scanning service. As for large format prints, we are planning to print at least up to 24x36 on glossy and matte rolls.

At this moment we are don't need UV coating but we are looking forward to it.

We will be leasing all of our machine and we are hoping to spend less than $1,000/month.

We still looking for used cutting machine. We will be offering various finishing services.

We have about 3 - 4 months before we decided which vendor and machine we are going to choose.

We are looking forward to rent a space which will have enough power and room for all of our equipments.

Me and my friends have knowledge of running digital machines. We used to run Xerox Doc 250 and Xerox 4110 and large format printing machines and other basic equipments.

Let us know if you need any more details. If you have any suggestions or thoughts we would love to heard it too. We are planning to visit each rep from different vendors to get a best fit for us.

Thanks for your time Mark,
Gabloo

Are you in the U.S.? What vendors are you meeting with?

Yes, we are located in U.S. We are thinking of meeting Xerox, Kodak and Ricoh for Color and BW machine and for large format Cannon or HP. From what we heard Xerox is expensive and don't like to work with startup business very much so we are leaning toward Ricoh or Kodak. Do you have any suggestion on which vendors will fit our needs at this point?

Is $1,000/month lease too low for 2 copiers and large format? That is just our estimate.

yes and not...
yes.. for a production engine
not... for a ofi/copier engine..
large format..IPF 8000S.. will fit your needs

1. Seems like you are meeting with all the right players, that's good.

2. I can only speak about Xerox, so I can tell you that Xerox can offer you the 3 solutions: Color, Black & White and Wide Format. Probably you may want to look at the Xerox DocuColor 252 and Xerox 700 for Color, the Xerox 4112/4127 for Black & White and the Xerox 8254/8264 for Wide Format.

3. Is Xerox really more expensive? Most of the times, probably it is; but you'll find out the reason behind it, and is probably not an astronomical number. Remember, at the end, you get what you pay for. If you get the 3 solutions together from Xerox, you'll get a better deal rather than getting just 2.

4. It's the second time I heard saying that Xerox does not like start up businesses. I'm not sure where this is coming from. I can tell you that Xerox in the U.S. has programs to get credit approved brand new business; all you may need is a checking account. Is that too difficult?

Thank a lot X33 and Obiseas.

1. What should we discuss when we meed with Xerox Rep? Are there services or any charges that we should be looking out for? Are there like services or something that we should talk about before we sign anything. Any tips that we should know?

2. If we are going apple to apple machine from different vendors, what should we compare?

Thanks,
Gabloo

1. What should we discuss when we meed with Xerox Rep? Are there services or any charges that we should be looking out for? Are there like services or something that we should talk about before we sign anything. Any tips that we should know?

2. If we are going apple to apple machine from different vendors, what should we compare?

I would love to hear input from other people as well.

Get some hip waders to get through the sales sh!t they'll give you. Do your own research first, once you figure out the machines that fit your budget. Learn as much as you can about the machines and you'll be able to weed through the spoon fed BS from the sales monkeys, most don't even know where the on/off switch is.

Gabloo,

More questions, I'm afraid....

How many impressions per month are you thinking you will average in 18 months?

What's more important to you - the speed (pages per minute) or the monthly duty cycle (this is really driven by the need for a fast turn around)?

Finally, is it more important that you have a fixed cost per impression or pay for what you use (fixed click cost vs spot color program)? This is also driven by the type of work you do - the more ink you put on paper the better off you would be with a fixed cost program.

Thanks,

Mark H

Gabloo,

IMO, with the color equipment image quality should be the primary decision driver.

If you take a five year lease (not advised IMO) that $1,000.00 will buy you approximately $50,000 if my math hasn't failed me. In my mind that breaks down to $2,500 or for the Wide Format color. $27,500 for a good solid color unit and the remainder on as much B & firepower as $20,000 will get you.

As for vendors I'd add Konica-minolta into the mix at least for color. Don't buy cheap just to hit the budget target. The upfront aquisition costs are the least of your cost. Look very closely at the structure of the service contracts.

Along those same lines be sure to read CAREFULLY the entire lease contract paying particular attention to the T's & C's at the end of the lease. Become familiar with terms like FMV, $1 buyout and what they mean to you. Dutch whores have more honor and integrity than most leasing companies. Plus given the chance the leasing companies will also screw you better. So read, ask questions and be an educated consumer.

If it isn't in writing it doesn't exist. PERIOD! Trust me nobody cares about what "The Salesman Said" what's in B & W on paper is what governs.

Your choice of actual equipment is often less important than those who support the products. It's very difficult to put a price on missed opportunity due to equipment down time. Ask for & Check references from other print for pay accounts this dealer may have. Along those same lines, ask your business associates for referrals.

Hope i'm not to negative but these are big decisions and it pays to be prudent, especially during a recession when the temptation to cut corners is greater.

How many impressions per month are you thinking you will average in 18 months?

What's more important to you - the speed (pages per minute) or the monthly duty cycle (this is really driven by the need for a fast turn around)?

Finally, is it more important that you have a fixed cost per impression or pay for what you use (fixed click cost vs spot color program)? This is also driven by the type of work you do - the more ink you put on paper the better off you would be with a fixed cost program.

Mark - We are not sure how smooth our business will be in 18 months, so I think may be 3 - 5k impress per month? Our focus will be on the speed. In your opinion What would be the best choice for start up business? fixed cost or spot color program. Is there any others features or services we need to consider?

IMO, with the color equipment image quality should be the primary decision driver.

Hope i'm not to negative but these are big decisions and it pays to be prudent, especially during a recession when the temptation to cut corners is greater.

Piney - I can't agreed more. You made a lot of good points but i got a few questions that i don't understand. Why do you think leasing for five years is bad idea? We will look into Konica Machines. You are right that we should focus on quality of color printer but our budget so tight,so do you recommand any machines?

I love to hear more from you guys. We do appericate your time.

Thanks,
Gabloo

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back