Trapping Issues In Illustrator - overprinting not saving when printing

shorty83

Hi all - I am having a very frustrating issue with overprints. I have to trap my files in illustrator, so I basically do this by applying strokes to elements and overprint the stroke. I am working on a file and printed it with separations but all of the overprint effects are knocking out when I print, but if I view the document in overprint preview mode it looks perfect. I have tried printing to two different printers and also checked to make sure in the print dialogue box that it was on "preserve" overprints. So, I copied and pasted the art into a brand new document, tried printing again and it still does the same thing. Is there some weird setting that I am missing somewhere? I have never had this problem before! Very frustrating!!
Thanks in advance!
Molly

Hi all - I am having a very frustrating issue with overprints. I have to trap my files in illustrator, so I basically do this by applying strokes to elements and overprint the stroke. I am working on a file and printed it with separations but all of the overprint effects are knocking out when I print, but if I view the document in overprint preview mode it looks perfect. I have tried printing to two different printers and also checked to make sure in the print dialogue box that it was on "preserve" overprints. So, I copied and pasted the art into a brand new document, tried printing again and it still does the same thing. Is there some weird setting that I am missing somewhere? I have never had this problem before! Very frustrating!!
Thanks in advance!
Molly

Trapping is used for miss registration on a printing press. No reason to trap for an inkjet that can see...

is it possible that whatever rip you are using has a trap setting set to "knockout all" and is overriding your manual trap settings?

No, because I have sent it to the rip and to two other inkjet printers just to see if it happened then too. All printers are showing the overprints knocked out so it must be in the file somewhere.

No, because I have sent it to the rip and to two other inkjet printers just to see if it happened then too. All printers are showing the overprints knocked out so it must be in the file somewhere.

Save as PDF from Illustrator and open that in Acrobat. Use the output preview to show all overprinting objects and see if your overprints are still there.

Molly:

Many printing devices ignore the overprinting attribute, probably so the manufacturer's tech support won't be flooded with calls from angry customers about white text they see on their monitor not showing up on their prints. Fortunately, Adobe provides a workaround for this that you may be able to use to solve your problem. When you print (it has to be a composite print), choose overprints:simulate in the advanced category. When you use this option, overprinting is not used, but the objects are changed to achieve the same result. E.g., a 0/0/0/100 object overprinting a 100/0/0/0 object is changed to 100/0/0/100. If you have spot inks, there will still be overprinting in the postscript output because there is no way to simulate spot ink overprints. Depending upon the inks involved, you might be able to convert any spot inks to a process primary to get around this. If you must print separations, you could print composite to "Adobe PDF..." or postscript and then print separations from the resulting PDF out of Acrobat. You could also probably reopen the PDF with Illustrator, but check it carefully for any goofiness, and don't tell Dov or Leonard.

Just in case, make sure the document color mode is CMYK.

An overprinting object always knocks out inks that it uses, no matter the percentage, so sometimes setting the blending mode to multiply yields a better result. For example, if you have an object that is 50% cyan and 100% magenta on top of an object that is 100% cyan and 50% magenta, the trap color should be 100% cyan and 100% magenta. If you add an overprinting stroke to the top object with the same color as the top object, the overprinting attribute will make no difference, and your trap color will be 50% cyan and 100% magenta, the same as the top object, so your stroke would effectively just make the top object a little larger. The cyan wouldn't be 100% because the stroke contains cyan, so it knocks out the cyan underneath and you get the cyan that the stroke contains - 50%. In this case, a multiply blending mode would yield the correct result. This probably isn't your problem because you mentioned it looks right with overprint preview turned on, so I'm guessing all of the trapping strokes you've made are on clean breaks from one ink to another.

Even if there are no shared inks between the adjacent objects you're trapping, there is still a way you could be suffering from this "shared ink" problem. If the value of an ink is greater than zero but less than the threshold that normally gets rounded to zero (about 0.196 percent), it could be interpreted one way by Illustrator and another way by your RIP or another device. Color values are often quantized to one of 256 values. Illustrator appears to perform this quantization when previewing overprints. If you create a box that is 100% cyan, then a box that is 100% magenta set to overprint and placed on top of the first box, the solid cyan should show through. You can add .19% cyan to the top box and it still shows the solid cyan underneath. If you increment it to .2% cyan, then it should knock out.

If you happen to have a shared ink in the overprinting strokes that is quantized to zero by Illustrator but not by your RIP, you will get different results from each. I have seen objects in artwork created by Illustrator that were 0.1% black in a PDF or EPS file, but read exactly 0% in Illustrator when it opened the file, even though the color palette can show hundredths of a percent. To test for this bug, you can use a tool like Pitstop or save an EPS file containing just one offending object and examine it with a text editor to see what the color is recorded as.

You might try placing the trapping strokes on their own layer(s), then printing separations individually. You would want to turn off layers containing trapping strokes that are not in a particular ink color when printing the separation for that ink.

As a last resort, you could rasterize the artwork with Photoshop at 600 ppi without anti-aliasing, and use Photoshop's trapping function. If you have spot colors, you would have to output separations, rasterize them separately, then combine them (Don't cheat and use process colors as proxies unless the density differences are similar).

You can often apply trapping automatically using Effect > Pathfinder > Trap.... You need to group everything and then apply the effect to the group. Then choose Object > Expand Appearance if you want to release the effect and get separate editable objects for the trapped areas. This can get too complex very quickly and you may need to subdivide the artwork into separate groups for it to work. If you have spot inks, overprinting will still be used, but I don't think the effect uses overprinting for process colors.

i would suggest this is a RIP issue

TRY, if you have it, an untrapped version from illy, pdf out, pdf into indy, define and apply a trap setting there and rip it - to narrow down an illy issue, or a rip issue

if you are mad try a similar thing from quark - yellow text on a magenta box - set the text to spread something silly - like 5 pt or someting - rip and see

IF all show traps knocking out it has to be a rip thing - surely they cannot all be wrong....

if ONE or more shows traps, then the one or more NOT showing the trap has an issue somewhere

but i'll punt at some rip setting somehow

I tried printing from Illust to our colour copier with a rip attached to it, and it does both print with overprints, and without overprints, depending on that setting under advanced for showing overprinting, so ours works as it should. Since yours isn't working normally, I would suggest selecting all your art and choose rasterize. Print it like that and you will get the overprints. Don't save the file before closing it if you rasterize it.

I've seen this happen before with our RIP. If we set one color to overprint another color in an Illy file the overprint objects tend to output as knocked out. To solve the problem we remove the overprint and if trapping is truly necessary we let the RIP do it. It works like a charm every time.

I think the problem is that you're doing your trapping in Illustrator when ideally it should be done in the RIP on the fly if it's even necessary at all. Then again I have no idea what your workflow is or why. I'm sure there is a reason you're doing things that way and you might not have any other choice.

There are many things at play here such as the colors used (spot vs. process), how the file is saved (format and options), the general build of the image, and the printer/rip being used (settings and preferences). The answer could be simple or it could be a combination of things. But, the bottom line is that there is something about the image that your RIP or Printer just doesn't like. So, it could be a equipment limitation as well. The question then becomes how do you get around it?

Try this. In the print dialog, instead of choosing Preserve Overprints, try choosing Simulate Overprints. Your printer is obviously having a problem processing them when preserved. Let it try to simulate it instead.

There is a way around this whether it be what I mentioned above or something else within all the settings etc. If you can post a copy of the particular Illy file up here I'd gladly take a peek at it for you.

Very few inkjet printers are printing overprint, since overprint is a function of postscript separation (or similar). The only way to show overprint is to simulate it, either by using a proofer rip in your workflow or by choosing to simulate overprint in Illustrator, or acrobat.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back