use Fusion Pro Desktop 7.0 as a imposition software

bigben

Like the title says, can I use Fusion Pro Desktop 7.0 as a imposition software?

If yes, I will have more questions...

Thanks.

Ben

I have an older version but I use FusionPro Desktop everyday. Not only does it do imposition, but it also does VDP. It's like two products in one. I print a lot of post cards for direct mail so I can merge the addresses and then lay them out in just a few minutes. I also use it for numbering and impositioning raffle tickets. The only drawback is it doesn't do N-up (I think I have the terminology correct) where you have say, 3 business cards and you want to put them 4up on a single plate for a total of 12up. It's not really a problem for me as I am all digital.

I'm all digital too. I know that Fusion Pro Desktop do VDP. This is the main reason why I will buy it. But I wanted to know if I can use it as an imposition only so I don't have to pay for another software.

The only drawback is it doesn't do N-up (I think I have the terminology correct) where you have say, 3 business cards and you want to put them 4up on a single plate for a total of 12up. It's not really a problem for me as I am all digital.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean in this quote. Can you explain?

Guys,

You can fully automate this (meaning you won't touch it and it will print automatically) process for business cards and most other types of print products with our hot folder based automated solution, Impostrip On Demand Econo Edition. At only $990 for a complete solution, you'll save a ton of time in production, with automatic creep correction, auto bleed correction, best fit automated templates, etc. etc. (not like other solutions on the market: no extra modules or options required to purchase... ALL is included in one low price).

If you want to try a complete and a free version, please send me an email.

Ray Duval
Ultimate Technographics
raymond @ imposition.com

bigben: here's my simple answer to your question: yes. Is it the best way to impose? I use XMPie to impose by creating variable image jobs, with the images being my PDFs I want to impose. I'm pretty sure Fusion also has this feature. It isn't the most direct route, but it gets the job done.

You can fully automate this (meaning you won't touch it and it will print automatically) process for business cards and most other types of print products with our hot folder based automated solution, Impostrip On Demand Econo Edition. At only...

Ultimate, I checked out your website, and it doesn't look like you guys sell or service Fusion Pro Desktop 7.0 at all. So I'm not sure how your drop box impo software applies here, maybe you can enlighten me though.

There a lot of guys who have indigo's that use the HP smartstream software to impose...

Smartstream is the new version of the old 'Yours Truly' VDP solution...

From the HP website you can get a fully functioning version of the software but you are limited to from memory only 50 records of variable data at a time... otherwise it is fully funcitonal and if you are only using it to impose then that is fine...

Its pretty intuitive if your pre-press is used to inDesign... Its an inDesign plugin like XMPie.... in my opinion its imposition is better than XMPie but XMPie's VDP is better (more powerful)... I use XMPie for VD and CREO preps for impo...

Just my 2c

Last edited:
Ben,

I am a novice user but what impresses me about the Imposition features is how the data sequences through the positions.

Let's say you are printing 100 cards with sequential numbers 1 ~ 100. If printing 1-up, you will get a 100-page pdf with a unique number assigned to each page. If you print 10-up, then you will obviously get a 10-page pdf but the data is sequenced across the 10 positions.

When I used to do this sort of task in Indesign or MSWord, each position would need its own data set. Position 1 would print the dataset [1,11,21,...] and position 2 would print dataset [2,12,22,...] and so on. This requires more data work because the data must be pre-compartmentalized.

Assigning how the data flows across positions is crucial to planning how the sheets will be finished.

Matt Louis

Last edited:
Ben,

I am a novice user but what impresses me about the Imposition features is how the data sequences through the positions.

Let's say you are printing 100 cards with sequential numbers 1 ~ 100. If printing 1-up, you will get a 100-page pdf with a unique number assigned to each page. If you print 10-up, then you will obviously get a 10-page pdf but the data is sequenced across the 10 positions.

When I used to do this sort of task in Indesign or MSWord, each position would need its own data set. Position 1 would print the dataset [1,11,21,...] and position 2 would print dataset [2,12,22,...] and so on. This requires more data work because the data must be pre-compartmentalized.

Assigning how the data flows across positions is crucial to planning how the sheets will be finished.

Matt Louis

This is called 'cut & stack' or 'cut stack' because the numbers are in sequence down through the stack so all you need to do is cut and stack...

InDesign's built in VD does not do this as stated... most professional VD applications should do this and more...

I know XMPie does is and so does HP Smartstream... It really is a complete necessity with any professional package... i couldn't even imagine doing it the way that you described !!!

As an avid user of Fusion Pro desktop, I will highly recommend it, the best money I EVER spent! To skirt the N-Up imposition problem you can always look at a product called Cute PDF, another low cost solution that does everything it says it can do. Both are excellent products for us little guys that don't have thousands to spend.

Get a creo. OMG it's awesome. I use to use FP for imposition. Now I just send the one up files to the rip, tell it how to cut & stack.. and it chews through and prints as it's ripping the next file.

If you have a rip that handles PPML variable data files, it should have imposition software that will take care of any non variable job that FP can not impose for you..

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back