Versant 180 rollers leave impressions on 13x26 paper

CliffSpielman

Happy New Year to everybody. I’ve noticed on my new Versant 180 that when using 13x26 inch 80# cover stock, the press leaves marks/indentations along the 26 inch length, 2 inches apart or so. These are not artifacts from printing but physical indentations on the cover stock. They are not so severe where I’d call them creases. 13x26 is important to me since I'm developing new poster products at that size (and that I purchased the XLS feature in order to do it).

IMO, rollers are causing this, probably close to the fuser since hot paper will be more vulnerable to this. I also suspect that the 13x26 paper may apply more tension to the rollers than shorter sheets.

I’ve tried both the 80# cover gloss I have in the 13x26. Same problem. The issue is much less severe and not really an issue with 13x26 100# text weight stock I’ve tried. I suppose there’s less for the rollers to “crush” or indent with a thinner paper. Using this lighter stock is one potential solution, but I really prefer the 80# cover weight because handling 13x26 posters is awkward and they are so easily dented. Also, I don't see the issue with 8.5x11 paper. I haven't tried with 13x19 yet.

A Xerox tech came out yesterday and I printed a couple of sheets for him. He couldn’t really see the issue, though to me, under a light with glare, it’s beyond obvious and super ugly. So I fear that their verdict will be that the behavior is “within spec” and I’ll need to either accept it or work around it. He said all looks well with the fuser, rollers and related parts.

In the meanwhile, I’m trying to get my hands on small amounts of other stocks in 13x26, hoping maybe one is more rigid, or that 65# cover won’t have this issue, but also gives me some of the durability I like.

Has anybody dealt with this issue in the world of digital presses? Any solutions? I know it would be helpful to see a photo, but it’s hard to photograph this.

To be fair, one or two non-printer friends have taken a look and say it wouldn't bother them as a customer. But I'd rather operate under the premise that the press shouldn't leave roller marks. I'm new to this. Maybe the press has to be broken in and this will subside. Thanks in advance for your input.

Experiment with different pressure and speed settings in Stock Library Manager under the "Advanced" configuration for your stock profile.

I have seen the metal plates where the rollers are be out of adjustment to where the metal may be higher than the rollers. Check your whole paper path and see if you can find any areas that the rollers seem level with the plates or below them. Hand feed a sheet through them and check if you can determine where the creasing might be occurring.

If you feed 11x17/anything that isn't 13x26 80# cover from the XLS tray (assuming you can do this, I don't have one), will it leave the same marks? My suspicion would be that perhaps its related to that tray.

If you feed 11x17/anything that isn't 13x26 80# cover from the XLS tray (assuming you can do this, I don't have one), will it leave the same marks? My suspicion would be that perhaps its related to that tray.

Definitely. I'm waiting for some 13x19 cover stocks to arrive so I can try that.

I have seen the metal plates where the rollers are be out of adjustment to where the metal may be higher than the rollers. Check your whole paper path and see if you can find any areas that the rollers seem level with the plates or below them. Hand feed a sheet through them and check if you can determine where the creasing might be occurring.

This sounds like a good idea if even just to learn about the press. One thing I'll mention is that this isn't a case where one roller is causing an issue. It affects the sheet as a whole. I remember well from having offset printing done, where there was one bad roller that had to be replaced.

This sounds like a good idea if even just to learn about the press. One thing I'll mention is that this isn't a case where one roller is causing an issue. It affects the sheet as a whole. I remember well from having offset printing done, where there was one bad roller that had to be replaced.

I may have not been as clear as I should have been. It is the metal plates that are adjustable not the rollers. The rollers should be above the metal plates. Sometimes if the plates are out of adjustment they stick up higher that the rollers.

I may have not been as clear as I should have been. It is the metal plates that are adjustable not the rollers. The rollers should be above the metal plates. Sometimes if the plates are out of adjustment they stick up higher that the rollers.

Got it. The tech said all looked well with the rollers but I'll try to double check it. thx

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back