What does it take to succeed today?

mthomas9

I am new to the industry. Just trying to get a feel for where the industry stands today and what makes a successful print company.

I just finished readying the "How's Business" thread. (If you want to be depressed.. sitting back and reading this for the next hour will do the trick!)

Anyways.. this thread got me thinking of a couple questions, and thought it warranted a new post. I know these are very general... just looking for the first thing that comes to your mind...

- Say I was looking to get into the industry with my own print shop... what do I need to be successful in today's market? (Strong USP, uniqueness, technology...??)

- What unmet or undermet needs do you have today?

- Say I was looking to get into the industry with my own print shop... what do I need to be successful in today's market? (Strong USP, uniqueness, technology...??)

I think you'd need to start with a deep understanding of your prospective customers' needs and expectations. What they are today and what they will be 5 and 10 years from now. Also an understanding of how well or poorly those needs are being met by existing printers and how easy, or difficult, it would be for them to respond to your presence.
That perspective will tell you whether there is a viable opportunity for your business as well as what infrastructure, equipment, and systems you would need to implement. It would also define/manifest your USP.
Keep in mind that differentiation based on technology is seldom sustainable.

best, gordon p

Last edited:
if you were going into business today, I would hope you had a couple things going for you.

1: deep pockets.
2: guaranteed clients.

then you're going to need to be good at service, quality and price.

if you were going into business today, I would hope you had a couple things going for you.

Thank you both for your feedback...

I guess I need to rephrase my question:
"If I were an existing print provider, what are the keys to staying afloat in today's market?" I guess what I'm trying to get to is what successful print providers are doing today, that the failing ones are not...

I think some would have you believe there is a large difference. I think the difference is subtle.
it has more to do with a combination of things. if you don't do anything you will fail unless you are lucky enough to have things fall into your lap. hard work and diligence will serve everyone well. but I think you need to follow the advice of some of the marketing books. advertising, networking. selling.
then of course you could still be unlucky.

Service quality and price are the key differentiators for a successful print provider. First concentrate on these, later look for other opportunities to offer your customers and broaden your services. You'll need engaged employee's who know there business on the technical side but also very important is to have a sales staff who have this knowledge.

Service quality and price are the key differentiators for a successful print provider.

I don't think those are differentiators since they are attributes that most, if not all printers claim today.

best, gordon p

Yep. Show me someone who is networked strong enough to have a client base and I can show you that they can run a succesful print shop. You can surround yourself with the right people the get the product out the door but witout the blood line of work it's all for nothing.

Yep. Show me someone who is networked strong enough to have a client base and I can show you that they can run a succesful print shop. You can surround yourself with the right people the get the product out the door but witout the blood line of work it's all for nothing.

Printers who print:
Yearbooks, greeting cards, invitations for wedding or funeral ceremony and...
Flexo for package (especially for food packs), and labels.

Banknotes, bonds and lottery tickets ;)

All of them will survival, even if electronics data exchanging kills other stuff printed on paper (books, newspapers,magazines).

Last edited:
I got a bill from the local paper to renew my 1 year subscription: $208.00. I called the circulation department and canceled. They offered to continue for $100 for the same daily delivery. A little incensed by the after-the-fact offer, I told them I have little need for a poorly edited report of day-old news.

I believe if print is not dead it is surely dieing.

"If you are reading it - it's a history!
If you're hearing it - it's news!"
The slogan of Canadian "680News" radio station.

"Video kills all radio stars!" (C)
Internet kills newspapers... slowly and tenderly.

Last edited:
Thank you both for your feedback...

I guess I need to rephrase my question:
"If I were an existing print provider, what are the keys to staying afloat in today's market?" I guess what I'm trying to get to is what successful print providers are doing today, that the failing ones are not...

1) right product (niche)
2) right behavior with clients .
3) good team

To read many of these replies, I've got to wonder why any of you are staying in the business.

You want to be a successful printer in today's economy? Find something that no one else wants to do and become the best at it. Maybe that's short run books, or on demand fliers. Perhaps it's offering preflight services to larger print houses, or acting as overflow for other printers.

Whatever it is, focus on creating a solution to a customer's pain. Anyone can sell a fancy new something that I don't know I need yet. But it takes a special vendor to identify a specific point of pain (to ME), create a custom solution, and deliver on it time and again.

Mark H

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back