What PDF Approval System?

Kristian

What, in your opinions, is the best online PDF Approval system out there. We need to get away from just emailing PDF's to customers as it bogs down our email server and is also difficult to manage approvals etc.

We have looked at WebWay, and WebCenter (We use ArtPro and Nexus). ALthough they are very good, they are too advanced for what we want and will just confuse our customers. Although I think its great that you can view separations etc our customers don't have a clue what they are looking at and dont want any of these options confusing them.

We want a simple system where users can simply login, view their PDF's, add comments and then either approve or reject. Thats it.

Any help is appreciated.

Kristian

We want a simple system where users can simply login, view their PDF's, add comments and then either approve or reject. Thats it.

Acrobat Pro's own tracker does a all of above you listed above on tracking and managing files/forms. I believe you can setup a separate server or web-based to make this work without going through email server.

I have looked at that in the past, but not thoroughly.

Will customers need to have the full version of acrobat or can they now make comments using Reader?

Re: What PDF Approval System?

I recently started at my current company and one of the first things implemented early on was a PDF proofing system where we send links to the customer that lead them to a proof server. It really takes the strain off the email system. Our IT is talking about creating a database to control this system, but I am interested to hear what other people are doing as well.

What, in your opinions, is the best online PDF Approval system out there. We need to get away from just emailing PDF's to customers as it bogs down our email server and is also difficult to manage approvals etc.

Kristian, have you looked into Remote Director from ICS Color? You'll find more information on their website.

Regards,
David.

I think WebWay is most easiest way for you because you can automate it with your Nexus workflow. Other solutions like Kodak InSite is much more expensive and more complex, and the Remote Director will have every click charge.

I have looked at that in the past, but not thoroughly.

Will customers need to have the full version of acrobat or can they now make comments using Reader?

Your clients only need Reader to add comments, but you will need to save your PDFs with "Enable for Commenting" under Comments menu.

You can easily test this by setting up an internal server > saved your PDF with Enable for Commenting > Go to Comments menu > Track Reviews and just follow screen instructions. If you can't setup your own dedicated server, I believe Adobe also provides an online server service for this purpose.

If you have yourself setup as Admin, on a close server system, you can actually get updated PDF feedback fairly fast. Email tracking is slow and you'll need to combine updated comments etc. Server method is the way to go. What I like about this Adobe solution is that you already paid for it! And as your clients knows how to use commenting feature in Readers, there will be minimal training for them if any at all.

Last edited:
They can add comments in Reader, but the PDF is converted to process and hard to see an exact representation of what is printed. We use InSite from Kodak. Also, looking at purchasing DALiM diaLOGUE.

Thanks for all the advice. Guess I've still got some research to do as there is no stand out winner.

TaskForce

TaskForce

You should check out our TaskForce Lite. For only $3500 you get online job submission with job ticketing, automated production based on the job tickets, Ripping, Trapping, PDFX export for both production and softproofing, AND Online Soft Proofing with automated email notices, support for Acrobat annotations, and more.

David Lewis
Lucid Dream Software.

Remote Access

Remote Access

I am using Heidelbergs Remote Access but only on a limited number of clients. I would like to use it on more clients but the licencing is limited to a certain number of floating licences so only that many logins at once and also its a bit too much for some clients to fathom. I look forward to see want streamlining they can do for next release but so far so good. I can set pdf or pixel proof approval via our regular workflow and then when the approval is recieved it will trigger whatever level of automation i have set in that job. Great if like us you are running all the toys but i gues you are looking for a simple add on.

Webcenter

Webcenter

Hi we already have Webcenter but don't have any idea how to use it as it looks incredibly complicated for what we want to achieve, I would appreciate advise of other users to where we are going wrong.

Currently we upload a pdf to an ftp, email customer of destination, customer downloads, annotates and sends back to us in another folder on the ftp, also sending an email to notify us.
We then correct as annotations and send back, importing the annotations onto the pdf so they can see what they asked for in the 1st place.

This all seems to work quite well apart from when we have a lot of projects on the go at once with the same customer tracking gets a little complicated their end, would Webcenter help and is it able to be automated out of Backstage?

webcenter

webcenter

Sure it can, have seen it fully automated from backstage. You also have direct feedback in the Pilot if I remember it right. Contact esko so they can help you setting everything up.

My guess having it fully automated will help you a lot, especially since you already have these systems in house!;)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back