Workflow and production management

RobertK

We currently piecing together a flexible PDF workflow+MIS form scratch. But now i have been thinking ahead and have new questions. And this this forum is great for relative 'product independent' solutions ;-)

Lets say, once PDF files are preflighted, checked, imposed etc and are basically ready to print to offset or digital. How do you manage these files? Can you add some kind of 'production manager' to the workflow? Something like the job planning in an MIS.

Currently our digital stuff is imported to the Fiery RIPs Command Workstation. And our offset dragged in hotfolder to the Harlequin RIP. You can view sent or imported files here, obviously.

But how does one manage/centralize and oversee a substantual workload to these machines?? Qeue management, progress, viewing etc.

If you have a workflow system like Apogee, XMF, Prinegy you will handle the imposing and queues from there. Esco fileflow can manage by hotfolders, but not sure how you would centralise the queue management outside of a system.

I use remote desktop to save running round to the computers when managing ink settings files.

Thats the whole point..we dont have such a workflow. It is just to costly for our company.

Thats why we plan to make one using Callas toolbox server(integrated in MIS), Enfocus switch and Impostrip imposition. But then problems remain when these files are print ready ;-)

I know you 'get what you pay for'. But arent there any 3rd party solutions? Or any solutions i just havent thought of?

Last edited:

I already am set for imposition, which is Impostrip from Ultimate.

Lets say, once PDF files are preflighted, checked, imposed etc and are basically ready to print to offset or digital. How do you manage these files?

not sure I understand the question...

What do you need to "do" with the files once they're ready to print?
Are you looking for some automated way to Que them to a printer/platesetter or some form of archiving software?
Are you looking for some automated solution to manage the Que for print files?

Basically what your are saying. Looking for a way to Que them to the digitale printers/Platesetter. Have some centralized visual planning/managing oversight over jobflows before they are sent.

Now we just handle files/jobs separate from an archived location. And then sending them to the digital printer or platesetter. The only info i have is 'these jobs need to be done for today'. It just becomes harder when dealing with alot of jobs.

Esko has a workflow that you can set up that will automatically send your files to a print que and then hold them until you trigger the "ok" button.
I believe Prinergy and others have similar functions as well.
A lot of workflows do this on a daily basis, for un-attended production.
We prefer to release our plate files manually (a person drops the files on a hotfolder). This is due to the fact that we have several presses (webs and sheetfeds), and in case of a press remake, we need to be able to push the remake in front of other waiting jobs. Something that is difficult to do with a fully automated workflow.
We also have a scheduling area where they plan what jobs will print and in what order, so we don't run into situations in the plateroom/pressroom.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back