Xerox 4112

justanick

Hi, i' looking feedback about this machine, in particullary information about registration with doublesided printing.
tnx to anyone.

justanick, maybe you should be more specific with the information you're looking for. Rflores answered your question about front/back registration.

Are you trying to find out stock weight/type/size? Speed differences? Etc...

No Brent, i'm only in search of some real, good and fresh feedback about this presses.
I have seen this press in function (a demo organized from the local xerox sellers) and i have found great problems whit registration of front to back, more than 2mm, and this problem has truly astonished to me (2 mm are a lot !!! expecially for a B/W press).
So i' am searching some feedback /experience of someone tha have worked (or are working) whit this press.
tnx

honestly speaking, the units in demo rooms are always being used for demos, tests, engineers, sales reps, analysts, technicians, customers, etc ... it probably didn't have a tune up before you saw it. Demo units are always used beyond their limits; I don't think is unique to Xerox.

On the Xerox side though, you can ask your Xerox representative to provide you with the Xerox 4112 Customer Expectation Document. You will have in writing all the specifications of the machine, including front to back registration. If you buy a machine that does not perform as expected (as written in the document), you have the right to call Xerox as many times as you want to make any necessary fixes until it is under specs; if they can't fix it, they would probably replace it by the Xerox Total Satisfaction Guarantee :

Total Satisfaction Guarantee

xerox 4112 is the most powerful, outstanding B&W printer that i have ever seen.
you can compare this machine with canon 7105 (upgraded version of IR105).

i have got some reason for my result: front and back registration, print resolution, DADF, Bypass capacity. single pass two-sided scanning, maximum paper size (SRA3), maximum paper weight, overall paper handling, optional color scanning and many many things.

we use three machines for bill printing.

We have the Xerox 4110 (the model the 4112 was based upon).

1. Image quality: Okay, not great, but a realistic quality for it's price/place in the market.

2. Reliability: Absolutely fantastic! Only ever had a handful of service calls and then only to change worn out components. We run the machine heavily at times and it just keeps going and going!

3. Paper feeding: To be honest it does not like coated stocks. 80 and 100gsm uncoated stocks is where it is most happy.

Would I reccomend the machine? Yes, if the type of work you throw at is suitable.

Lee Taylor.

xerox 4112 is the most powerful, outstanding B&W printer that i have ever seen.

Wow, how many different types of machines have you owned?

We have a 4110 and a 4590. They are good machine for what we use them for, which is reproducing high volumes. of simple stuff that you scan and print on 20lb uncoated stock. They not very good at running carbonless, and I haven't tried coated but I would imagine it would struggle. The trays are friction feed, so they are plagued by the same problem all fiction feeders have.

It runs tabs, but you have to manually remove unused tabs within a bank. It doesn't auto kick them out. So if you running a 5 bank and your book has 8 tabs you have to put 2 blank pages on the end of you job and assign them to pull the the left over tabs. Then you of course, you will have to manually remove the extras. This is not the machine you want if you do a lot of tab work.

This is probably fixed now with a software upgrade, but our machines will not differentiate paper pulls based on color. We either have to use identifiers such as 3-hole punched to create separate pulls. It hasn't been a big issue with us because we don't use the machine for that so I have never pursued getting a patch to fix it, but if you were to use that feature I would make sure that there is a fix.

The most common recurring problem we have had is the ink auger in the developer has a tendency to break. It is my understanding this has to do with the waste container receiver jamming up. It doesn't happen all that often, I would say we have had it happen once about every 2 million impressions, but when it happens it is a long service call.

We've got a 4127 that was just installed two days ago. The image quality is great, really impressive for a b&w box. Obviously it's not quite as good as b&w on a production colour. The "out of the box" settings are pretty poor (for image quality), but we knew from pre-purchase research that these can be improved. The analyst told us that the higher resolution settings would slow the machine down, but if this is true then it's not really noticable - it's really fast!

We spec'd it with the high cap oversize feeder and haven't had any problems running coated through the high cap (I believe the CED says you need this to run coated) and so far so good on the ftb registration. However, the image (toner) area is dull... anyone have any idea on whether you can improve the "shine" on this? Otherwise it will be pretty useless for gloss paper.

We've put about 100,000 A3 through it in the 2 days we've had it and so far, we're pretty impressed.

BTW, on the subject of NCR, Xerox tell us that their "Premium Digital Carbonless" is guaranteed for our machine. Haven't tried it yet.

BTW, on the subject of NCR, Xerox tell us that their "Premium Digital Carbonless" is guaranteed for our machine. Haven't tried it yet.

FYI, I run Nekoosa carbonless through my Ricoh and DC8000AP, I find it runs better landscape, at least on the finisher you get less curl.

Xerox 4112: GARBAGE

Xerox 4112: GARBAGE

We had the Xerox 4112 and the Xerox 700 Digital Color Press installed in the design/print shop I work at in early January. Where the Xerox 700 is a decent improvement over what we had before (Xerox 240), the Xerox 4112 is a total downgrade over what had before (Xerox 4110 - almost exactly the same machine as the 4112).

Firstly, our lovely sales rep from Xerox shipped us the 4112 without a PDF kit or the necessary hardware to install it.

Secondly, our lovely sales rep from Xerox had a inexperienced technician install our machine. The technician's exact words were "I have never installed one of these machines before".

Thirdly, our lovely sales rep from Xerox sent us random extra machine hardware (a de-curling unit - roughly 4 feet in height, 2.5 feet in width and weighs a TON!) now this de-curler is sitting in our offset pressroom collecting dust and getting in the way.

Fourthly, our lovely sales rep has known about this random extra machine part for 3 months and has done NOTHING about it.

5) Our service technician for the 4112 has been HORRID!!! He has done nothing to help machine issues/quality issues.

6) We are having to regularly call for service on our machine (about twice every week).

7) Every time we need to order consumable supplies for our Xerox 4112, they are always backordered and never get shipped in time for us to meet a printing deadline.

8) The printing quality of the 4112 was excellent for the first month, and has been terrible eversince.

9) Last but not least, when the 4112 was installed, it came with these large metal sheets/plates (if you have a carpeted office, you can use the metal sheets to slide machine without getting stuck in the fabrics of the carpet) Our service technician neglected using them because he didn't know what they were. They are now sitting in our press warehouse, getting in the way and collecting dust.

So, case in point - DO NOT GET THE XEROX 4112!!! Horrible technicians, horrible sales reps, horrible machine.

jd31686, in what city/state are you located?
are you dealing with Xerox Direct?

JD - Sounds like your issues are mostly with sales/service in your area and not so much the actual machine...

It';s NOT Xerox, but your supplier

It';s NOT Xerox, but your supplier

Hi there,

I DO feel sorry for you, a very unpleasant situation, but i don't think it's fair to blaim Xerox for this, other then selling through this type of crappy salesorganisation you did business with.

your frase:"So, case in point - DO NOT GET THE XEROX 4112!!! Horrible technicians, horrible sales reps, horrible machine. " doesn't really fit i believe.

The dealer you did business with clearly doesn't understand what he is doing, this is very serious.
The technical department of the same?? organisation doesn't seem to be ok.
The machine in general is VERY proven and is a great unit when positioned, and serviced in a proffesional way. The 4112 doesn't print well at YOUR location, that's a pitty, but it's not a general situation. My advize is to escalate this within Xerox, don't do business with your current dealer anymore,

Kind regards and good business

Fred

The quality of prints we get from the 4112 are shit - toner casting a tint of black across an entire sheet of 8.5 x 11 and over time the casts become darker/more apparent.

Garbage 4112 ??? Call Xerox direct

Garbage 4112 ??? Call Xerox direct

Hi JD,

I don't want to argue with you, if it looks shitty it's shitty. I just don't think it's the 4112 in general, but due to a non-perfect installation and maybe poor maintenance by your current business partner. I don't know where you are located, but my advise is to call Xerox direct, they have VERY high service standards and really know where they are talking about. Give it a shot, what do you have to lose ??

Keep my fingers crossed

Fred

Xerox 4112

We too are running a 4112 and have been for the last two years. Aside from a developer issue that plagued us for a few weeks it's been a work horse, only service calls we have had to make are none customer replacable parters that naturally wear down. With the inserter and booklet finisher it helps cut labour costs.

In regards to the registration I've never stopped to measure but it has always been well with in our needs, at least for anything run on text weight, anything that we need 'assured' registration on heavier card and covers we usually run on one of the colour printers. Off hand I would say our real world experience has put the registration very close to the +/-.7mm mentioned ane heavier stocks between that and probably 3-5mm, again I have never measured and although I have never checked you should get better registration if you run one side then the other.

As mentioned text weight are for sure its friend, but uncoated cardstock in the 80# isn't a problem either, did a job the other day a few thousand 11x17 sheets, never hiccuped.

The toner is for sure a matte, or as I saw in another thread, silky EA toner. Therefore if you run gloss stocks thru you get matte toner surrounded by the gloss stock, and in some cases it seems to almost dull the gloss of the page. To my knowledge there is no way to change this as the machine was designed that way. The more glossy output from the Xerox's docucolors, although EA toner as well, are engineered for a glossier output.

Someone mentioned issues with running NCR, we have used Appletone brand NCR (both digtal and non digital and pre-perfed) as well as Nekoosa U20 NCR (non-digital as well as pre-perfed) with no problems, in fact i think the only jams we have had were users trying to grab a sample while the machine was still running. Sometimes you get a bit of curl but you can adjust the settings on the decurler and that usually helps.

JD, sounds like you may need your densities checked or maybe a developer issue. We once had a light toner background on our machine, it was determined there was an issue in the dev unit and also suggested we stick to the 'Legacy Toner'. Xerox has three different formulations of toner for these machines, Legacy or FX (has a salmon cap on the toner tube) was the orginal, then they changed it twice (black tube with white tape and a complete white tube). It took our tech a while to figure it out as he was freshly trained on the machine and at that time we had the only one in town. Or, perhaps you got a true lemon, in that case if you got it right from Xerox it might fall under that total satisfaction garuntee policy they have.

We had the Xerox 4112 and the Xerox 700 Digital Color Press installed in the design/print shop I work at in early January. Where the Xerox 700 is a decent improvement over what we had before (Xerox 240), the Xerox 4112 is a total downgrade over what had before (Xerox 4110 - almost exactly the same machine as the 4112).

Firstly, our lovely sales rep from Xerox shipped us the 4112 without a PDF kit or the necessary hardware to install it.

Secondly, our lovely sales rep from Xerox had a inexperienced technician install our machine. The technician's exact words were "I have never installed one of these machines before".

Thirdly, our lovely sales rep from Xerox sent us random extra machine hardware (a de-curling unit - roughly 4 feet in height, 2.5 feet in width and weighs a TON!) now this de-curler is sitting in our offset pressroom collecting dust and getting in the way.

Fourthly, our lovely sales rep has known about this random extra machine part for 3 months and has done NOTHING about it.

5) Our service technician for the 4112 has been HORRID!!! He has done nothing to help machine issues/quality issues.

6) We are having to regularly call for service on our machine (about twice every week).

7) Every time we need to order consumable supplies for our Xerox 4112, they are always backordered and never get shipped in time for us to meet a printing deadline.

8) The printing quality of the 4112 was excellent for the first month, and has been terrible eversince.

9) Last but not least, when the 4112 was installed, it came with these large metal sheets/plates (if you have a carpeted office, you can use the metal sheets to slide machine without getting stuck in the fabrics of the carpet) Our service technician neglected using them because he didn't know what they were. They are now sitting in our press warehouse, getting in the way and collecting dust.

So, case in point - DO NOT GET THE XEROX 4112!!! Horrible technicians, horrible sales reps, horrible machine.

I'll take that decurler off your hands, just tell me where you are...LOL These are great machines, sorry about the bad technical service and Xerox rep. If you ever need help I'm an independant just let me know.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back