Xerox 560 vs C75...

kdw75

We recently got a Xerox 560 with an oversize feeder and so far we are very pleased with it. Last month we ran just shy of 100,000 clicks on it. Of course the salesman made a comment that we should be looking at upgrading to a C75 or J75. Really though I don't see much of an advantage other than the speed, which really isn't as important as having more money in my pocket each month. Can anyone tell me if there are some other benefits besides speed? As far as capacity we aren't even keeping it running 5 day a week. Also I have had the maintenance guy tell me, while working on our 7556, that these machines are pretty reliable even at higher than recommended usage. I did see that the C75 and J75 can duplex up to 300GSM papers which would be nice, but certainly not anything we have to have.

The Xerox J75 is a good machine

The Xerox J75 is a good machine

The J75 is a good machine I have tested it and I liked the high speed printing. I was surprised how good it printed. I have tested the 770 in the high speed mode (all Speed) and it failed.

I have a 260 and 2 of the 700. I can tell you that the 700 prints much better than the 260. The RIP is better and the paper handling is better.

If you re happy or I should say that if your customers are happy with the quality then don't buy another machine. The machines will last for a long time. I run about 120,000 sheets (13 x 19 12 PTS, 270 GSM card stock) a month on the xerox 700. Rating is 25,000 a month. I have replaced the machine twice after few million clicks for free. The Xerox contract states very clearly, "If you are not happy they will replace it" and they did.

I short, if it is working keep on making money.

Yes the J75 is a much better machine than yours but I would not pay the money they are asking for it.

That is pretty much my feeling. The C75 seems to be quite a bit cheaper so that would be the route I would go if we upgraded. Mechanically is there anything in the C75 or J75 that would give me better quality than what I am getting now?

If the C75 had the clear ink option like the 800/1000 then I would upgrade tomorrow. That is something we could definitely use. We have a couple of regular jobs that we print digitally and then have to run through the offset press and apply spot varnish to for some background effects.

I think the Fiery and the feeder are just as crucial as the machine itself. I couldn't go back to a machine without either.

We've been running a C75 for about four months now. We've put in probably about two dozen service calls since then, mostly due to bad developer housings. These are the same developer housings as the 700 uses and have been problematic for many people. This is still an ongoing issue for us and we had two technicians in from 11am to 4:30pm yesterday working on it. We just had our 700-style housings replaced with DC5000-style housings and the issue has improved but it's off to second and third-level support to figure out a real fix.

That said, when its working properly it's a bit faster, got better print quality and offers a lot more options than the 700 which is our second machine. Never used a 560 but it's certainly faster than the old 242/260 units we had. For stuff like 40-300 sheet business card runs, 500 sheet posters etc the print speed has never seemed as important as the time it takes to get desired print quality. I've had to do a lot of tinkering and calibration to cut down on this time.

The C75 lets you choose between 600/1200 dpi print resolution. From personal experience if we're having trouble with a gradient that doesn't look good in digital, switching to the 1200dpi setting will introduce a visible rosette pattern that really helps the gradation look better. Trade-off is some type, especially thin type, can appear slightly more jagged. Still a useful technique to have available to the operator because it works well in a lot of situations.

Offers a bunch of screen modes that I never saw on the 700 or 242/260 machines. Enhanced Text, Enhanced Text & Graphics, 150 dot, 200 dot, 300 dot, 200 line, 600 dot, stochastic. I played with all of these pretty extensively when we got started and I only really use 2 every day and 1 for special occasions. 300 dot has been my go-to for most things as it packs in more dots than the default Enhanced Text, resulting in higher density solids and more detail in photos. Setting the print resolution to 1200dpi to enhance gradients restricts you to either Enhanced Text or Enhanced Text & Graphics.. I'll usually go for Enhanced Text as the dot pattern looks best. Stochastic is a great idea and I've occasionally used it for big detailed photos but it changes colours so drastically that it's usually more trouble than it's worth - and the resulting look has been something that people either love or hate. Every screen mode setting has an effect on colour. Between 300 dot and Enhanced Text you won't see a lot of difference but every other option will require adjustments.

Allows you to duplex up to 80lb cover in the trays, and will duplex 100lb cover in the bypass. It is completely terrible at feeding coated stock of any kind through the bottom trays though and will pull in 4 to 8 sheets of 80lb gloss cover through the rollers, potentially damaging everything along the way. If you run a lot of coated stock consider investing in the oversize feeder option.. we didn't go that route so I must feed all coated stock through the bypass tray and fan it out before I load it. It's nice being able to load the trays up with 80lb uncoated cover and just let it run when the situation allows for it.

Front/Back registration is excellent and very consistent if your technician is thorough and really calibrates everything nicely for you. Out of the box it was pretty bad but there is a piece of software called SIQA you can ask for that allows you to scan a template and automatically create pretty good alignment profiles in a fraction of the time it takes to set this up manually. SIQA was only available for PC at the time we got our C75 set up.

Justin,

I have had fantastic results with the oversize high capacity feeder. It seems to run gloss book and gloss cover without any problems. Our previous machine didn't have the feeder and it would jam enough on gloss papers that you couldn't walk away and expect to get much printed.

I've heard good things about the oversize feeder and did push a bit to get one but that didn't happen. Bypass tray has a low jam rate (until the rubber rollers wear down) but is very low capacity. I've been warned that it results in the least reliable registration however this seems to be because the tray guides can move.. we use a couple of welders magnets to lock the guides in position.

Still, I'd sure like to have the feeder.

Justin,

I have had fantastic results with the oversize high capacity feeder. It seems to run gloss book and gloss cover without any problems. Our previous machine didn't have the feeder and it would jam enough on gloss papers that you couldn't walk away and expect to get much printed.

A print shop down the street has a 550 without the oversize feeder and they told me that in order to run 13x19 through the bypass tray, and get it to register, they had to rig up some shims to keep the guides in place.

We recently got a Xerox 560 with an oversize feeder and so far we are very pleased with it. Last month we ran just shy of 100,000 clicks on it. Of course the salesman made a comment that we should be looking at upgrading to a C75 or J75. Really though I don't see much of an advantage other than the speed, which really isn't as important as having more money in my pocket each month. Can anyone tell me if there are some other benefits besides speed? As far as capacity we aren't even keeping it running 5 day a week. Also I have had the maintenance guy tell me, while working on our 7556, that these machines are pretty reliable even at higher than recommended usage. I did see that the C75 and J75 can duplex up to 300GSM papers which would be nice, but certainly not anything we have to have.

We thought to go with the 560 from Doc 240 but went with 700i because of

1. being able to duplex 300gsm card

2. Getting the APPE PDF capable RIP so files with transparencies would print correctly without white boxes - yes you can obtain that by using Adobe Acrobat and printing as Image but its an issue on larger files and also doesn't let you print mixed color and black files without charging color clicks.

The 75's are the 700i but with more automated double side alignment.

We went with the FreeFlow instead of Fiery because the FreeFlow includes Imposition and doesn't seem to crash or create lower quality imposed files, a side benefit over our 240 with Fiery was the Auto scanning BW and Color to pdf works just like at the machine when making copies, the mixed black pdf's are black the color, color.

The one detraction with the PDF rip was Adobe only Fonts in the RIP, one still can't assume they can drop a file and have it print as if the font is missing you have built in Callas preflighting, stop the file or print with substitute font. So then you still have to open Acrobat and embed the font. Of course the claim is a licencing issue but really would Microsoft not provide fonts economically or Free just so their documents print properly and Adobe looks rather silly with these expensive RIPs and not able to print proper output.

Ken

We have the 550 with the oversized high cap. Great machine. Would never do without the high cap. It has super registration and is pretty much jam free. A much better option than the bypass. I would get the double high cap on the next machine.

We thought to go with the 560 from Doc 240 but went with 700i because of

1. being able to duplex 300gsm card

2. Getting the APPE PDF capable RIP so files with transparencies would print correctly without white boxes - yes you can obtain that by using Adobe Acrobat and printing as Image but its an issue on larger files and also doesn't let you print mixed color and black files without charging color clicks.

The 75's are the 700i but with more automated double side alignment.

We went with the FreeFlow instead of Fiery because the FreeFlow includes Imposition and doesn't seem to crash or create lower quality imposed files, a side benefit over our 240 with Fiery was the Auto scanning BW and Color to pdf works just like at the machine when making copies, the mixed black pdf's are black the color, color.

The one detraction with the PDF rip was Adobe only Fonts in the RIP, one still can't assume they can drop a file and have it print as if the font is missing you have built in Callas preflighting, stop the file or print with substitute font. So then you still have to open Acrobat and embed the font. Of course the claim is a licencing issue but really would Microsoft not provide fonts economically or Free just so their documents print properly and Adobe looks rather silly with these expensive RIPs and not able to print proper output.

Ken

I am almost certain that our RIP on the 560 is APPE PDF capable. At least that's what the documentation said.

Our Fiery also has the black page detection so that it only charges you the black rate if B&W pages are mixed in with color.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back