Xerox 700 color shifting durring the run.

selectset

Registered Users
We have a xerox 700 with the creo rip and have had quite a few issues with the color staying constant while printing.

As an example we had a job that was a 12 pages with green bars running on the top of each page. the run was 3000 books and it seemed like every 100 books or so the green would change. It would get darker for 100 or so and then lighter and so on.

We have had Xerox in here several times over this issue and each time they have no answer.

Has anyone else had this issue and what was done to fix it?

Thanks

I have a customer with a 700 with a very similar issue. Coincidentally, it is also happening on the greens. Replacing the cyan color drum seemed to help for a while for them. This machine does seem to have some difficulties in longer runs and high volumes as far as consistency goes. They love the machine when it is behaving though, so they are now looking at replacing it with an 800 which is an incredibly more capable machine when it comes to production type printing- that is their solution.

Several things you could try
1. turn off the gloss mode on the printer - this does help in maintaining colour - does mean less gloss though.
2. try creating a custom stock on the printer - adjust the bias level to something like 75-80% (smaller number means higher charge apparently) this will also help the colour consistency in a longer run
we've done exactly these things and have got noticeably better results on several different 700s

Just demo'd a 700 today. We ran a book job, 3000 copies, 20 pages, 80# gloss text, each page had a green bar approx. 1" tall across the top of the sheet. Happy to report that the last copy looked like the first. I was very impressed other than when you put it in duplex mode it is very SSSSSLow. But overall a good workhorse. So I can vouch that the machine will run a good quality green. We were using a fiery RIP.

generally it takes a more full coverage type of page eg 2000 copies of the same page which has full coverage color - before you will see the color shift
The type of RIP has no bearing on the color shift - I've seen the shift on Fiery, Creo and FreeFlow RIPs

Thanks Bo3b,

Most of our jobs have been running on uncoated stock. I will try using the custom setup and let you know how it goes.

film processing

film processing

By any chance, are you film or plate processing in the same area or building?

We have cyan color issues on 7002 and are having to move down to the 700 because Xerox can't figure it out.

we have had this issue with blue bars and also had xerox come in several times. They replaced several rollers and gave us an all over tune up. This helpedbut was not a fix. We still say a marbeling effect in the the solid bars. We ended up switching paper. We were printing on coated stock and the 700 seems to be pretty particaulr to the paper quality. I would definatly recommend only using Xerox's recommended paper stocks for the best results especially with coated stock. Also keeping a close eys on the temp and humidity levels by the printier and making sure your paper has rested and acculamted to the temputure changes from storage.

Xerox 700 After the drums have been used about 20% they have no show of holding their colour.
It just isnt technically possible.Fine when drums developer are all brand new.

Xerox 7002, 8000AP, and 700 all have the same color issues. DO NOT BUY XEROX! They are aware of the issue, and can't fix it. See my previous posts for more detailed information.

Xerox talks a good game

Xerox talks a good game

We had the 700 in our shop for about 2 months on trial. Nothing but trouble! Registration bouncing everywhere, color shifting during the run, ssssslllllloooooooowwww just to name a few. If we had any kind of sizable run (1000 or more) you could count on having a tech in within 24 hours. Just a terrible machine. Xerox was all over us to sign the contract. We finally told them to get their piece of junk out of our shop. Never again!

I have a X700 (and I can say that for only several more hours!). Don't have any issue with the registration (I don't run Cover -- I do that on the DC5000's) but have had horrid color shifts. We can usually see the magenta appear to increase (it is actually the yellow decreasing from what we can tell) in as few as 50 sheets of 12x18 80# Gloss Text. While Rochester claims the engine is within spec (Delta E of 7 is huge by the way) they "had to get somewhere else" when I asked them to run 1000 copies. Our issue gets worse the longer the print run. While the 1st to 50th copy may have been a delta E of 3 the 1000 would most certainly have not!

Long story short every 2nd level and above tech we spoke to said one of the below statements:
"I don't know why the X700 is placed in print for pays."
"The X700 Is not designed for more than 30,000 LTR prints a month"
"You are calibrating too much" (is that even possible?)
and in a far more politically correct way "the machine is a piece of crap, what you need is an IGen4".

Today the tech is coming in to remove the machine and the truck will pick it up tomorrow. They are sale reversing it and trying to convince us the 17% click charge increase and $3,500/month increase is worth it for the X1000. We shall see...

BTW, we are running a FreeFlow RIP, also did it on a Demo Creo.

The x 700 has had issues with color shift from the day it went in the field. There has been software upgrades (to v3.1 at this date) and supply chain issues. I love Xerox and have been an independant service tech for over 16 years and everytime I hear a customer is thinking of buying a 700, I try to talk them out of it. The 5000 is better but I would stick with the DC 6060 or 7000/8000 in my opinion. The Igen is an outstanding machine but not for everyone.

We have/are experiencing pretty much all of the listed issues with our 700. We're coming up on the 1st anniversary of it's install and I've just about sent it back 3-4 times.

The green issue, the registration issue, bad drums, supply problems, bad colour after running lots of just back and mottling problems are, or have been in play.

We have been running about 60k p/month on the machine.

Luckily - the last couple of months have been a little more stable and we haven't so many green jobs.

impossible to fix. have tried for 2 years, now moving to different brand. Hope never will buy Xerox again (been with it for 6 years / 3 machines now and got enough of terrible attitude).

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back