Xerox 700

I used to sell mailing equipment and gave demos on it. You can be assured that every demo machine was anally kept in pristine condition...just a thought.

I have seen this machine run in a demo (you should too) and the registration front to back is incredible. It also can be adjusted (easily)
When I was shown the machine I also was introduced to the Paper profiles which is also a great way to assure front to back and eliminate skew.

As said already, the CED is your friend. What it says goes. if the machine is out of spec., there should be no push back from the service team.

You know though, it's amazing how many times I've seen things occur that were not supposed to happen, even with a mutual contract. That's why there's so many civil suits.

I will know more when I compare the cost curves. Im still trying to figure those out. Really, it depends on the buy/lease decision. The cost per click in a lease is different than in a buying situation. The salesman says the lease would be 5 cents/click .. does that seem fair? Also, whats the difference in cost for digital paper as opposed to standard offset litho-paper? I can factor all of the cost differences in and figure the exact QUANTITY it becomes cheaper to run the litho press as opposed to the digital press.

Some printers are paying .0375 for a full color 11x17 so .01875 for letter size click. Be prepared for high volume commitments however.

If a $60,000 base machine can't print a solid black then yes it's reasonable to return it.

We have the 700 on a demo (an upgrade from out DC250). So far I've been happy with the print quality except for black solids. The 250 puts out a nice solid black on 80# cover. However the black on the 700 (same file) is lighter and is mottled looking (not solid). We have a number of customers that I guarantee will not be happy with this black. I've talked to the tech and I know there is a setting on the RIP (Fiery EX700) to change all blacks to "rich black" but while it's more solid it's certainly not up to the quality of the black on the 250.

Another issue we are experiencing is heavy ink coverage on 80# cover while duplexing. We've checked and re-checked to make sure we are running it with the correct stock weights in the RIP but it won't fuse correctly. I spoke with our tech about this as well and his response was to run it single sided on a heavier weight (of course we can't duplex it at a heavier weight since it's only rated for 80# cover duplexing). The tech's explanation was that the moisture content of the paper (yes it's rated for digital) was coming off the paper as steam and getting caught between the paper and the heavy ink coverage. He seemed to think if we ran it single sided it would give the paper time to reabsorb the moisture prior to running the second side.

Do you think I'm being unreasonable if we tell them to pick this sucker up? I don't feel it's performing up to my expectations from all the press I've heard and what's stated in the CED (it's supposed to reliably duplex 80# coated cover). It's definitely an upgrade to our 250 except in these two areas.

We have had consistent issues with Toner being on backorder and xerox not supplying us even close to the demand that we need. Be sure they have done nothing to improve this situation for close to 6 months. Can't print without it.

Just deduct the payment or sue them or better yet let them sue you.

After 2 years of constant problems with the 700 and terrible attitude I am finally happy to say, we will shut down our X700 and move to KM, which has its own problems, but at least delivers what was presented at time of purchase. Purchasing X700 was one of my biggest career flaws, all I can say.
We are a demanding user with lots of full color full density prints on heavyweight stock and 700 is not up to this, never has been.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back