Xerox Class Action Filed for Drum/Toner

TJPrinter

The entire Class Action filing is linked in this brief article. If you're problems have not been resolved for your Versant press you should read over the entire filing. This brief sure seems to align with all the complaints by many on this site, including myself. Hopefully Xerox steps up and does what's right for it's customers and not what brings it's stock holders the largest gains. Good luck to us all!

Article on Xerox Class Action filing

I'm not super familiar with how these kinds of class action lawsuits work but my reading seems to indicate that we'd be automatically included in the suit if we have a lease and/or maintenance agreement with Xerox.

I also don't see how $5 million comes close to fixing the damage caused to the number of people involved. If there's 100 members (and there's clearly more than that) that's roughly $50k each. Our shops damages far exceed that amount. If there's 1000 members $5 mil is roughly $5k each.

Last edited:
I'm not super familiar with how these kinds of class action lawsuits work but my reading seems to indicate that we'd be automatically included in the suit if we have a lease and/or maintenance agreement with Xerox.

I also don't see how $5 million comes close to fixing the damage caused to the number of people involved. If there's 100 members (and there's clearly more than that) that's roughly $50k each. Our shops damages far exceed that amount. If there's 1000 members $5 mil is roughly $5k each.
I'm not an attorney, so best not to take my advice but this is how I understand it.

You belong to the same class as the individual that started the class action. You have a Xerox Versant and had the same problems with parts/toner and lack of any remedy from Xerox and you lost customers/jobs and experienced financial loss. You are not automatically included in the lawsuit you must join the class action. Or you could go it alone and hire your own attorney.

There could also be other class actions filed against Xerox for the same or similar reasons. What about all the independent dealers that were throwing drum after drum and replacing developer and hours of tech time only to find out that Xerox new what the problem was. I would guess that Xerox wants this to go away before it gets to a jury. What does that mean? I don't know, agree to cancel contracts for those that filed suit or something else. My guess would be that for those that do nothing they will continue to get nothing and be treated the same way by Xerox.

I have a V280 that's almost 1 year old and I just want it to run the way it should. I don't need the contract cancelled, I just want it to work the way it should and can.

if you get "free" drums and toner as part of a service contract, should you add to the complaint or is that just noise because it didn't "cost" anything?

if you get "free" drums and toner as part of a service contract, should you add to the complaint or is that just noise because it didn't "cost" anything?
The replacement of drums is a minor issue compared to loss of jobs, labor, paper, service, customer good will etc. etc. because Xerox sold defective machines and didn't provide timely remedies to companies who entire livelihood depends on these machines being up and running. Not to mention that Xerox's practice of selling the equipment on leases paired with maintenance contracts makes it nearly impossible for print shops to do anything to solve the problem or switch to another vendor without incurring great expense.

The replacement of drums is a minor issue compared to loss of jobs, labor, paper, service, customer good will etc. etc. because Xerox sold defective machines and didn't provide timely remedies to companies who entire livelihood depends on these machines being up and running. Not to mention that Xerox's practice of selling the equipment on leases paired with maintenance contracts makes it nearly impossible for print shops to do anything to solve the problem or switch to another vendor without incurring great expense.
i agree completely. I just was never offline. I just went through resources much faster than i should have.

Sure, if the bad drums caused a vendor significant loss, then yeah, join the action!

i was just asking if joining would be of benefit or detriment since our loss wasn't significant?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back