Xerox DC240 Fiery Remote Scan Problem

homeboy

I have a Xerox DC240 with EXP250 bought used a year ago. The Fiery has the following programs loaded:

Colorwise Pro Tools, ver. 3.5.32
Command WorkStation 4, ver. 4.4.0.39
EFI Hot Folder, ver. 2.1.0.25
Fiery Remote Scan 5, ver. 5.3.1.9
Fiery VDP Resource Manager, ver. 1.2.013

To this point, I have only used the machine for garden variety printing using CWS4 which works fine. Now I want to use the scan feature. Network scanning appears to be set-up. The machine appears to scan a document but I get error code 016-781 and I don’t know where to find the file. I don’t know if it’s set up to write the file to disk or if it’s set up to email it. Remember this is a used machine and all this was configured long ago. I have no way of contacting the former owner.

I have a third-party service contract but it doesn’t cover this. They said they’d come out and re-install the software and set it up but it’d be a day’s work and cost upwards of $1000. Methinks I problem is minor – something as simple as maybe changing an email address somewhere, but I don’t know how to proceed.

Be gentle I’m not an expert.

There should be a network cable between the printer and the Fiery box - usually a cross-over cable. If this is not there you will not get scanning working.
When you go to network scanning, click on the refresh templates button - if there is communication with the rip, the templates will be updated to the same as whats on the rip - if not you will get an error message.
Several Fiery RIPs also have an issue where the scan mailboxes get corrupted - easiest way to tell if a mailbox is corrupted is to print the fiery configuration page out. In the SERVER section of the output (1st page, 1st column) there is a setting for Clear Scan Jobs - this should be something like Manually or x number of Days if this is a ? then the mailboxes are corrupted and you will have to get the software reloaded - there are patches to stop this corruption happening but the patch will not fix the mailbox if it is corrupted.
The Fiery RIPs should have come with all the necessary disks to install the software on the RIP

If everything is working and the mailboxes are not corrupted there will be 3 default mailboxes on the printer (B&W guest, Colorguest and greyscaleguest) these all scan to the guest mailbox on the RIP. Using Remote Scan select the mailbox (enter guest for mailbox name - no password) you should then get a list of scans in the guest mailbox. Some of the earlier Fierys didn't work with Guest - these will work with the number 0 instead

Hopefully this will work for you

Thanks, Bo3b. Your instructions were perfect. I can now scan.

"There should be a network cable between the printer and the Fiery box - usually a cross-over cable. If this is not there you will not get scanning working."

We set it up wrong. We had a network cable going from the priner to our network. I unplugged it and plugged it to the back of the Fiery -- which incidentally had the words "scan" next to one and "net" next to the other.

"When you go to network scanning, click on the refresh templates button - if there is communication with the rip, the templates will be updated to the same as whats on the rip - if not you will get an error message."

I did this and they updated as you said.

"Several Fiery RIPs also have an issue where the scan mailboxes get corrupted - easiest way to tell if a mailbox is corrupted is to print the fiery configuration page out. In the SERVER section of the output (1st page, 1st column) there is a setting for Clear Scan Jobs - this should be something like Manually or x number of Days if this is a ? then the mailboxes are corrupted and you will have to get the software reloaded - there are patches to stop this corruption happening but the patch will not fix the mailbox if it is corrupted."

It says: "Clear Each Scan Job: Manually." Hooray!

"The Fiery RIPs should have come with all the necessary disks to install the software on the RIP"

I have them all I think.

"If everything is working and the mailboxes are not corrupted there will be 3 default mailboxes on the printer (B&W guest, Colorguest and greyscaleguest) these all scan to the guest mailbox on the RIP. Using Remote Scan select the mailbox (enter guest for mailbox name - no password) you should then get a list of scans in the guest mailbox. Some of the earlier Fierys didn't work with Guest - these will work with the number 0 instead."

Guest didn't work but zero did. I was able to see the scans there. I did another test and a third scan showed up there right away. I figured out how to "send" the document to another computer. We have success. Thank you very much.

Regarding the mailbox corruption. Should I deal with trying to figure if the patch is loaded and load it (to avoid future problems)? Or leave well enough alone?

not sure if the earlier fierys have this, but on the later fierys if you use a web browser to navigate to the rip (enter the ip address of the rip into the browser url address field) - on the later rips there is a check for updates link (usually on the last page (right hand tab) this will communicate with efi and return all the patches that you don't have installed

There is a separate program among the Fiery programs called System Updates. I ran that and it found a boatload of updates. I didn't count but maybe 50 of them. Thanks for the clue.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back